Anybody miss the old status bar?

Guest furryfrog

Guest furryfrog

Maybe I'm an odd one out, but the status bar from 1.6 & 2.1 was pretty useful. I liked being able to get the app drawer and settings from anywhere and have notifications occupy all 5 diagonal inches (the drag down feature is just not suited for landscape mode, especially on the streak). Oh, there's also the issue that now a home screen is only 4 slots wide (1.6 = 8, 2.1 = 6, 2.2 = 4). If the streak ever gets 2.3+ it will probably only fit one icon per page. Someone will tell me this is kind of fixable by changing the lcd density - and yes, please do explain that in greater detail. Thank you ahead of time.

Hyde, would there be a way to get this back in a froyo build? I guess this would also involve nixing the stock android dock launcher possibly.

It seems like a pretty major overhaul, kinda funny that Dell really ended up with less customization on the release that still isn't technically available to me (locked AT&T). The stage launcher is really just a way to waste all the pretty space and integrate worthless widgets.

Guest Fone_Fanatic

Yeah i miss it too, really don't know why they nixed it because it was great.

I tried porting it over from 2.1 but it just caused the Launcher to constantly FC. I only worked at it for 25 min or so

next week after finals i'll have more time and try at it again.

Guest DeathOfAllThings

I also miss the old bar. It was also nice because it was black as I recall, and not the light gray, which doesn't really match anything.

Is there reason why people insist on referring to steve with his surname only, it reads fairly condescendingly, as if it was some old school teacher addressing an errant pupil and a lack of respect.

Guest Tim6772
Is there reason why people insist on referring to steve with his surname only, it reads fairly condescendingly, as if it was some old school teacher addressing an errant pupil and a lack of respect.

Agreed

And, Yes, I too miss the 2.1 status bar. Found it handy to recall apps i'd recently used and easy access to wifi etc. Oh well, some things we lose in the name of development, onwards & upwards.

Guest Stephen Hyde

i did have a play with adding it back in 2.2 but i had problems with it crashignthe dieve also - froyo changed alot of the statusbar code so dells hacked version wont work,

Guest eimoaotl

In the US, friends that are male sometimes call each other by their surname rather than their given one. It is not a sign of disrespect but can be an endearing one. But I agree that if used in the wrong tone it comes off as you state. Please don't take offense - none is likely intended (and was probably just the opposite)! Of course, if they're not from the US all bets are off ;).

Guest Ashbeard

There are fewer Hydes than Steves, it is a better way to distinguish his ROM. It's unusual in online communities to know someone's full name, usually they have a nickname. Hyde is a better nickname than Steve.

Guest jmhalder

Anyone who's a Android user prior to the streak most likely hated that status bar, I know I did.... it squeezed notifications so tight that with WiFi, bt, and a alarm set you could only see 1 notification in portrait, i like my tray on the desktop... it just seems half baked, and like they did it just to differentiate themselves, all these stupid customizations are the reason they are so slow to update stuff.

Guest JaysFreaky
Anyone who's a Android user prior to the streak most likely hated that status bar, I know I did.... it squeezed notifications so tight that with WiFi, bt, and a alarm set you could only see 1 notification in portrait, i like my tray on the desktop... it just seems half baked, and like they did it just to differentiate themselves, all these stupid customizations are the reason they are so slow to update stuff.

+1

Guest adzman808
I miss it too

But only those options to enable/disable data connections and gps...

2g/3g on/off from market (free) a little inelegant but does the job!

There are fewer Hydes than Steves, it is a better way to distinguish his ROM. It's unusual in online communities to know someone's full name, usually they have a nickname. Hyde is a better nickname than Steve.

weak argument

He already has,a nickname dj_steve and his roms are called streakdroid

In the US, friends that are male sometimes call each other by their surname rather than their given one. It is not a sign of disrespect but can be an endearing one. But I agree that if used in the wrong tone it comes off as you state. Please don't take offense - none is likely intended (and was probably just the opposite)! Of course, if they're not from the US all bets are off ;).

I used to do that here in the UK. 3 Stuarts, had to use Surnames for them. Even the teacher did!

Guest furryfrog

for additional reference, I also have stephen hyde associated in my mind with a character from "that 70's show" - who is refereed to as hyde. Sorry.

Guest tellisnz

I grew up in New Zealand, and over there calling someone by their last name is very common if not a sign of respect. If you're particulary friendly, mainly on single syllable last names, you'd throw in an 'ee' sound at the end somehow - for example Hydesey. Just a little bit of FYI for you there.

Edited by tellisnz

Guest adzman808

i wonder if Steve, Hyde, dj_steve, Stephen, hydey, hydster, mate, dude, bro, geezer or whatever he may get called is

a) LMFAO at this

or

:P rolling his eyes

kinda siding with Fards TBH

Steve already has a online monika (& no it's not monica) & his ROM already has a name

the guy can build better roms than dell & brought the streak community 2.2 months before anyone else

i guess he's happy enough with his OL ID & perfectly capable of chosing it himself !!

Cheers

adzman808 (not my real name ;))

Guest bostonguy
Funny how fast threads can get de-railed...

FTFY (re-railing it!)

;)

I love the stock Android everything. I didn't like the Dell bar because of the notification "squishing" if you had a lot of them, and the wireless quick change you can use a custom widget that lets you have only those quick change things you actually use. Much more efficient IMHO.

I also like the more universal compatibility of stock Android components vs vendor customizations. As mentioned it slows updates and every so often you run into an app/widget/launcher/etc that doesn't like the change.

I vote that Steve/Hyde/DJ_Steve keeps it stock.

Guest furryfrog

Regardless of names and status bar opinions, I am greatly appreciative of the work and will throw "sir streak rommaster" a holiday bonus soon. Not to say he's the only one contributing. I feel lucky our device of choice has been supported so well thus far and feel that the community in general deserves big ups for the help and collaboration we've seen

Guest mancterrier

;) :P :P Completely agreed...