installing stock 1.04 firmaware

Guest jonaldhinio

Guest jonaldhinio

Hi All,

I am new to this having just purchased and recieving my advent vega,right I will get to the point I am trying to upgrade to the 1.04 firmware I have downloaded it and followed the instructions but I must be missing something here.

I follow the advent vega update e.g press home button then press settings/software tool then software update,then tap download folder it then says tap on button shown below e.g

/sdcard/softwareupdate.

when I do this the update is not there???

Does this mean I already have 1.04? or where do i find out what firmware I have?

I want to install this as I want to install the custom rom from this site

to be honest I have no hope especially if I can't even install the 1.04 update!!!

If I go in to ifiles I can see the download but when I follow the instructions above I can not.

I would appreciate all help on this I learn quickly once I have been shown.

regards

jon

Guest trevor432990

Welcome Jon ... As a noob too I found it is hard to know quite what to do but you have come to the right place because everyone here will provide you with all the information you need to get going. The instructions you need to be following are set-out in Pauls posting at top of forum starting "30/Nov r4" which will install v1.04 + other features Post Location

You can find out what firmware by clicking SETTINGS > ABOUT DEVICE and at the bottom of the screen you will see Kernel Version and hidden in the string returned after the character 'v' is your current version of software.

What OS are you running on your desktop PC? There are a few other things to beware of during the update involving USB drivers etc and all we noobs would benefit from a guide written for people new to Android I think.

Anyway see how you get on and if you get stuck come back and update us and we'll try and help. ;)

Guest dazzawright

I just had another look at this for you and it looks to me asthough you are following the "lite" instructions. This looks for a zip file but the 1.04 update download is an exe. You will need to use the full system flash upgrade document which unfortunately is more complicated.

Good luck and let us know if you get stuck anywhere during it. It is not too bad aslong as you get the husband drivers installed.

Guest jonaldhinio
Welcome Jon ... As a noob too I found it is hard to know quite what to do but you have come to the right place because everyone here will provide you with all the information you need to get going. The instructions you need to be following are set-out in Pauls posting at top of forum starting "30/Nov r4" which will install v1.04 + other features Post Location

You can find out what firmware by clicking SETTINGS > ABOUT DEVICE and at the bottom of the screen you will see Kernel Version and hidden in the string returned after the character 'v' is your current version of software.

What OS are you running on your desktop PC? There are a few other things to beware of during the update involving USB drivers etc and all we noobs would benefit from a guide written for people new to Android I think.

Anyway see how you get on and if you get stuck come back and update us and we'll try and help. ;)

Hi,

I am running windows 7 64 bit

cheers Jon

Guest jonaldhinio
I just had another look at this for you and it looks to me asthough you are following the "lite" instructions. This looks for a zip file but the 1.04 update download is an exe. You will need to use the full system flash upgrade document which unfortunately is more complicated.

Good luck and let us know if you get stuck anywhere during it. It is not too bad aslong as you get the husband drivers installed.

Hi there,

Yeah your right I was using the lite version is this wrong then?

cheers Jon

Guest worto03
Yeah your right I was using the lite version is this wrong then?

yeah - I did the same for about an hour on sunday - you need to follow the full instructions then it should work fine.

Guest What If

Did the same here.................

Needed to hook up to my laptop and do the full install.

Worked well then installed Pauls Rom and wow the device is flying now.

Thanks Paul much appreciated ;)

Guest worto03

Oh and if your install goes anything like mine you'll then need this thread to sort out your usb drivers

problems-with-adb-after-official-1-04-update

then this thread to put Paul's excellent custom rom on

30-nov-r4-modaco-custom-rom-add-on-performance-pack-for-the-advent-vega-1-04-with-online-kitchen

and then this thread to fix flash

re-installing-enabling-flash-on-the-vega

then you'll be pretty much flying and just installing the apps you want from marketplace - I'm still yet to sort out tethering to a symbian phone & getting an app to work with external gps but apart from that pretty much everything I've tried has worked fine ;)

I was new to android - there is a pretty good apps thread somewhere round here too if you need it.

Guest jonaldhinio
Oh and if your install goes anything like mine you'll then need this thread to sort out your usb drivers

problems-with-adb-after-official-1-04-update

then this thread to put Paul's excellent custom rom on

30-nov-r4-modaco-custom-rom-add-on-performance-pack-for-the-advent-vega-1-04-with-online-kitchen

and then this thread to fix flash

re-installing-enabling-flash-on-the-vega

then you'll be pretty much flying and just installing the apps you want from marketplace - I'm still yet to sort out tethering to a symbian phone & getting an app to work with external gps but apart from that pretty much everything I've tried has worked fine ;)

I was new to android - there is a pretty good apps thread somewhere round here too if you need it.

Hi

Many thnaks for your hellp and advice I now have 1.04 installed but for the life of me can not install the custom rom

I can not see the android bridge and I have read the info you gave me but can not find the answer to my problem

I am new on here and finding your way around is not easy

How do I overcome the problem of not sseing the android debugging bridge?

Once again many thanks for any help you can give me.

cheers Jon

Guest aintcrackedityet
Hi

Many thnaks for your hellp and advice I now have 1.04 installed but for the life of me can not install the custom rom

I can not see the android bridge and I have read the info you gave me but can not find the answer to my problem

I am new on here and finding your way around is not easy

How do I overcome the problem of not sseing the android debugging bridge?

Once again many thanks for any help you can give me.

cheers Jon

jon,

Only joined today myself, I have read about this issue on this forum and it was resolved at the end of the topic with a step by step guide.

I'll keep searching, but I think it involved removing the pc usb drivers which were corrupt. Some people sorted it by using laptops running windows xp, but by the end of the topic it was sorted using a guide....go to the end if you find it. I'll keep looking.

aintcrackedityet

Guest jonaldhinio
jon,

Only joined today myself, I have read about this issue on this forum and it was resolved at the end of the topic with a step by step guide.

I'll keep searching, but I think it involved removing the pc usb drivers which were corrupt. Some people sorted it by using laptops running windows xp, but by the end of the topic it was sorted using a guide....go to the end if you find it. I'll keep looking.

aintcrackedityet

cheers mate will do

bloody wifi on the device not working now!!!!

wifi now fixed but still can't find step by step guide to fix usb problem you had any luck?

Edited by jonaldhinio

Guest jonaldhinio

Hi Trevor,

your right we could do with a step by step guide for us newbies who are dipping our toes in the android world

anyway updated to 1.04 but can't install custom rom as no andorid bridge showing also other people had this problem but I can not find the answer arghhhhh!!!

Any ideas???

cheers Jon

Guest aintcrackedityet
cheers mate will do

bloody wifi on the device not working now!!!!

wifi now fixed but still can't find step by step guide to fix usb problem you had any luck?

Have a look at this topic,

"Problems with ADB after official 1.04 update"

A guy called welshblob came up with some ideas on the last but one page.

May give you some ideas

best i can do at the mo sorry

will have a crack myself tomorrow and will let you know.

aintcrackedityet

Guest jonaldhinio
Have a look at this topic,

"Problems with ADB after official 1.04 update"

A guy called welshblob came up with some ideas on the last but one page.

May give you some ideas

best i can do at the mo sorry

will have a crack myself tomorrow and will let you know.

aintcrackedityet

hi mate,

All done custom rom installed follow this link :

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1491313

then follow post 70 by welshblob.

Thanks due to welshblob for this one,let me know how you get on mate

cheers Jon

Edited by jonaldhinio

Guest aintcrackedityet
hi mate,

All done custom rom installed follow this link :

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1491313

then follow post 70 by welshblob.

Thanks due to welshblob for this one,let me know how you get on mate

cheers Jon

chuffed for you butty, aint forums great !!!!!!!!

Scared stiff to have a go at mine, although i sorted my wifi issues and connects great now, quite impressed so far but a total novice i am.

aintcrackedityet

Guest jonaldhinio
chuffed for you butty, aint forums great !!!!!!!!

Scared stiff to have a go at mine, although i sorted my wifi issues and connects great now, quite impressed so far but a total novice i am.

aintcrackedityet

Yeah know how you feel mate,have a go at installing the custom rom just follow welshblob's instructions any prob's I will help you as much as I can two brains are better than one apparently!!!

cheers Jon