Screen Protector

Guest MonkeyBoy451

Guest MonkeyBoy451

So I finally received my Case & Screen Protector in the post today and was going to do some photo's of before and after with the screen protector on.

However, things didnt turn out too well - all I can say is... not everyone lives in a class 10,000 clean room and the moment I peeled off the back protection foil to start sticking it to the surface of the vega, it just attracted a ton of dust from out of nowhere (my freshly cleaned desk) and ruined it!!

I did try sticking the thing down and rubbing it over with the supplied card, etc - but there was just too much debris stuck to it.

I can however confirm that the protector is a matt finish and holding it upto the light was like looking through smoked glass - it didnt seem to have any ill effects on being able to read the surface of the vega and did make it LESS reflective.

One negative though of the screen protector is that is made swiping,etc very 'sticky' when touching.

They should definately have supplied 3 in the pack, not just 1!

Thats £10 i'll never get back... :P

oh and yes my desk, room, hands, clothes etc had all been cleaned prior to attempting to apply the thing! ;)

hopefully we'll see some 3rd part ones turn up on various sites soon enough.

I can confirm also that the case is very nice and the vega fits snuggly in it with no change of it dropping out.

Guest removed-14

Thanks for the update. Out of interest when did you order? Did it come just by post or recorded or special delivery? I ordered late on Friday and have still to get mine.

Guest MonkeyBoy451
Thanks for the update. Out of interest when did you order? Did it come just by post or recorded or special delivery? I ordered late on Friday and have still to get mine.

I ordered both on the 4th december, but didnt get a confirmation "your order has shipped" email until the 7th.

Both sent via Royal Mail in jiffy bags as they arent heavy items that require a courier.

Edited by MonkeyBoy451

So I finally received my Case & Screen Protector in the post today and was going to do some photo's of before and after with the screen protector on.

However, things didnt turn out too well - all I can say is... not everyone lives in a class 10,000 clean room and the moment I peeled off the back protection foil to start sticking it to the surface of the vega, it just attracted a ton of dust from out of nowhere (my freshly cleaned desk) and ruined it!!

I did try sticking the thing down and rubbing it over with the supplied card, etc - but there was just too much debris stuck to it.

I can however confirm that the protector is a matt finish and holding it upto the light was like looking through smoked glass - it didnt seem to have any ill effects on being able to read the surface of the vega and did make it LESS reflective.

One negative though of the screen protector is that is made swiping,etc very 'sticky' when touching.

They should definately have supplied 3 in the pack, not just 1!

Thats £10 i'll never get back... :P

oh and yes my desk, room, hands, clothes etc had all been cleaned prior to attempting to apply the thing! ;)

hopefully we'll see some 3rd part ones turn up on various sites soon enough.

I can confirm also that the case is very nice and the vega fits snuggly in it with no change of it dropping out.

Which case and protector is this? thanks

Same issue here - I grabbed one with the Vega, and made an absolute pigs ear out of it (looks like a 5year old did it)... Pealed it off, gave it a wash with a bit of fairy, and looks alot better 2nd time round - Not 100% happy, but will do until some 3rd party ones. It's all packed away now for Xmas - just hope it's not pealed off when I get it back out the box

Guest MonkeyBoy451
Same issue here - I grabbed one with the Vega, and made an absolute pigs ear out of it (looks like a 5year old did it)... Pealed it off, gave it a wash with a bit of fairy, and looks alot better 2nd time round - Not 100% happy, but will do until some 3rd party ones. It's all packed away now for Xmas - just hope it's not pealed off when I get it back out the box

it didnt ruin it by washing with fairy? thought it might take away some of the stickyness??

Also how'd you know which side is which now??

I gave up with the Screen Protector, but to clean I normally I place the protector tacky side up, and layer sticky tape over them making sure to over lap.

Flip it over place a small bit of sticky tape on the side you press on, and slowly peel away from the tape.

Bought a stylus for capacitive screens instead.

Edited by remlap

One side still stuck (which surprised me - although I did try the wrong way 1st). No idea if its' going to stay down - but with my 1st attempt being so bad, I had nothing to lose! I do think it seems a little less transparent now, but that could just be me. I did not let it dry - just gave it a good shake, and had a cloth to soak up the excess. I'll try and take a snap of it before the Mrs wraps it up

I do plan to replace it so it's just a temp solution for now until more hit the market

Guest octyman

I received my case and screen protector today and I've noticed a couple of issues. The case covers the charging light so when charging it's not easy to tell then it's charged. The screen protector doesn't have a cut out for the camera so it makes it unusable, all you can see are vague shapes. However the matte finish does make the screen easier to read in bright light.

I received my case and screen protector today and I've noticed a couple of issues. The case covers the charging light so when charging it's not easy to tell then it's charged. The screen protector doesn't have a cut out for the camera so it makes it unusable, all you can see are vague shapes. However the matte finish does make the screen easier to read in bright light.

yup I have to say it does convert the camera to a pile of junk after testing with a video call, trying to cut a hole is gonna be hard work too , trying not to damage to screen or get dirt under protector :)

Guest boffboff

Just to add my tale:

Ordered the official screen protector with my Vega

Stuck the protector on perfectly

Pulled back tab 2 as per the instructions and I thought `Christ this screen protector's good I can't even tell it's on!`

After a couple of seconds I'd realised what I'd done!

Do you think I could get on as good as the first time! Too scared to try a third time so now I've got a few dodgy bits at the edges where it just won't stick. At least the touchscreen itself is covered though.

The end!

Guest Bisto321

Yes, screen protectors are the devils work on anything above 3.5 inches.

Evil little static sons of Satan :)

got 3 in the pack for my galaxy tab and the first went in the bin, the second i did on a damp kitchen table and in a cold room to stop the dust floating on thermals :) that went on really well and I now have a spare that i hope i never have to use.

I thought 7inch was bad, but then i remembered you guys!

Good luck getting the perfect finish and yes i too looked at my first attempt after the second peel and thought 'wow that's clear!' :(

Guest MarkoUK

I've buggered up so many screen protector fittings it's unbelievable!

I've found that washing with soapy water, leaving slightly wet and then fitting works really well.

Just have to be careful how much water is left on it but I have more success that way......usually after dropping it, sticking wrong side, getting fingerprints on it and swearing lots and lots :)

Hopefully mine arrives today as I got my confirmation on Monday 6th saying that it was being delivered.

Guest benjer172

I was fortunate enough that the screen protector was in stock at the same time I ordered my Vega on the 27th. Having learnt from attaching a screen protector to my wife's HTC Desire after she'd been using it, I took no chances with the Vega. I left the plastic film on the Vega until the last minute and then quickly attached the screen protector in our very fluff free Dining Room - no carpets or upholstery to speak of an tends to be quite a cold room. With the HTC Desire I found that putting the protector under a running tap and then shaking off the excess water, made it easier to apply so that was my fallback if the Vega's didn't work well.

I found that getting the alignment right was the most tricky and stuck it to the short edge first. Got a few air bubbles first attempt, but no dust so that was good and then a few lifts and resticks and its pretty good. The opposite short edge has some lack of stickiness either caused by my misalignment or the very very slight bevel at the edge, but it should last.

My main reasons for getting the protector were from having read that the Vega's screen is quite prone to finger smudges and my young kids love Angry Birds! I'm quite pleased with the new finish as its matt so feels more "grippy" when you swipe. Agree with previous comments that the camera becomes a 0.3 MP affair!

Guest TylerDurdenK

I've always found the best way to apply a screen protector without the risk of dust, is to peel off the protective layer bit by bit as you are sticking it down.

Peel off a centimetre of the protective layer to reveal a centimetre of sticky, line this up with your device and stick it down. Then as you pull more of the layer away push it straight down on to the device.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest ChocolateRobot
I've always found the best way to apply a screen protector without the risk of dust, is to peel off the protective layer bit by bit as you are sticking it down.

Peel off a centimetre of the protective layer to reveal a centimetre of sticky, line this up with your device and stick it down. Then as you pull more of the layer away push it straight down on to the device.

That is pretty much what I did.

1) Under bright lights so you can see marks on the screen.

2) Wash the the screen with a slightly damp (not wringing wet) cloth with washing up liquid.

3) Dry / clean with kitchen roll.

4) Use the small cleaning cloth to remove all dust and remaining marks (if any)

5) Check the screen for Marks and dust (again). Be careful how you pick it up or you will mark it again.

6) Peel off a small bit of the protective layer to align it with the screen.

7) Rub finger over screen protector top to bottom on the suface you are applying to ensure all air is pushed out.

8) Peel off the protective layer bit by bit as you are sticking it down.

9) peel off second protective layer.

Thats how I did it and I only have one very small bubble because the screen protector was dented. I knew that before I applied it but couldn't be arsed to send it back. I thought it wouldn't be too bad after having a quick check.....and as it happens it wasn't. I am very pleased with the result. Did I mention it helps if you have OCD :)

Guest TylerDurdenK

A word of advice. Never, ever use a kitchen roll or other paper tissues to clean the screen. They can put micro scratches and swirl marks into the surface.

Guest ChocolateRobot
A word of advice. Never, ever use a kitchen roll or other paper tissues to clean the screen. They can put micro scratches and swirl marks into the surface.

Point taken, didn't seem to be a problem but probably because I wasn't scrubbing the screen, just drying it. As I said did use the small cloth provided to get rid of any remaining marks and seemed to work well.

Cheers though, don't want anybody messing their screens up!

Guest English Haze

It's very difficult to take pictures that show the protector if it's fitted well. The whole point is it should look like it has nothing on it.

I followed chocolateRobot's step by step guide (minus the paper towel) and it went on almost perfectly! I have one tiny bubble and a small dent but they are not visible when the device is on. Touch is hugely improved IMO because your fingers don't stick and there are no smears! Even Angry Birds is improved. I love it!

You must take your time and not remove all the backing at once. Start with one edge and Peel the backing off smoothing it out as you work your way across the screen making sure the surface is pristine before you start. It is certainly possible to apply this well.

Guest Bisto321

Needs to be done before application, so not much use to those of you with it fitted, but has anyone tried laying the protector over the tab before the first peel, marking camera centre with marker pen and then using a hole punch? I did that with a protector once and it worked well, punch has to be nice and sharp.

Guest warriorscot

You can already find third party screen protectors the problem is they may not be the exact size or are just the kind meant to be cut down. But the vega is based of a reference design so other companies make copies as we have seen so there will be protectors made for those as well. And if sales of all the tablets based on this design are good we will see a lot more bespoke products for it outside of the DSG brand

Needs to be done before application, so not much use to those of you with it fitted, but has anyone tried laying the protector over the tab before the first peel, marking camera centre with marker pen and then using a hole punch? I did that with a protector once and it worked well, punch has to be nice and sharp.

Was thinking the same - actually marked it already last night but waiting til i find my new hole punch - for sharpness as u say :)