internet browser recommendation

Guest sagim

Hi,

Sorry for the newbie question, I have HTC Desire (just root it, and set up r9) I was wonder what will be good alternative to the build in 'Internet' browser?

Dolphin ? Oprah? other ??

Thanks

Sagi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill The Cat
I'm using Dolphin and I'm very happy.

I've tried Xscope 6, Opera 10, and Infinity 1.2.1 - Dolphin is the best & fastest. Dolphin is just a shell that uses the Andriod browser's engine (webkit) to render web pages much the same way Avant Browser for Windows uses Internet Explorer's engine. Since Dolphin uses Android browser it loads fast and also renders pages quickly. The ability to switch user agent tags is a great since many websites will redirect you to the stripped down, mobile version of their website if it sees you connecting as Android/Iphone (google 'user agent' if you don't know what that is). Changing the UA to 'Desktop' gives you the full website just like on your PC. I also like the many add-ons available for Dolphin.

Try them all out and see which one you're happy with but I think you will find Dolphin has a clear advantage over the rest.

BTW if you are running Android 2.1 or lower and want to see Flash content try Skyfire. Skyfire is not in itself a browser - it works like Opera Mini. Web pages are rendered on remote servers then sent to your phone unlike a standard browser which renders pages on your device. It can be quicker than standard browsers but sometimes the servers are unavailable (has happened to me with Opera Mini and Skyfire) and then you can't surf with those browsers.

Skyfire is the one for Android 2.1 or lower if you want Adobe Flash content. Android 2.2 (Froyo) users have Adobe 10.1 and can view full flash content.

Hope this info helps

Guest ozochain

My personal preference is Opera.

Opera is the fastest at loading pages due to server-side compression; however, it won't load flash content.

I like how it syncs with my desktop bookmarks/history.

I used Dolphin for a long time, but it's just too bloated.

Skyfire is pretty nice too as it can load flash content faster thanks to server-side compression.