USB-host mode enabled boot and system dump

Guest rvdgeer

Guest rvdgeer

I'm starting this new topic, because I think this deserves more attention than it gets at the moment.

What is it?

Recently I bought a Point of View Mobii which is the exact same hardware as the Advent Vega.

However, the software is different at some points...

One of these is it has USB host mode enabled by default, where the Vega has USB slave mode enabled.

This means I can plugin a USB flashdrive with, let say, MP3's and can play them directly on the tablet.

With some very clear instructions by Paul (found here), a little Googling and my imagination I managed to tar the system dir and dump the boot image.

What does this mean?

This might mean the chefs (like Paul) will be able to determine how we can switch USB host and slave mode easily.

Wouldn't this be very cool? :)

Where is it?

I uploaded the system tar and the boot image to my Dropbox account.

You can find them here:

- system.tar.gz

- boot.img

- new boot.img

How can I thank you?

No need to...

But you can thank my wife!

She bought me this Christmas present and allowed me to 'play' with it, just so I could let the community benefit.

If you think you can/will benefit from this, please leave my wife a short thank you note in your reply...

Her name is Joanneke...

I promise (as long as they're decent enough) I will let here read them...

But remember: it's my wife, so no proposals :(

Collected replies:

Well done to Joanneke for letting you play with your present early! :)

Tell your Wife she's making a lot of sad blokes very happy! (I include myself in that list)

Cheers Joanneke, a wife who truly knows how to show favour towards her gadgety husband!

May her name be sealed in Vega History....

All of us should go round and do a choir effort at their front door to show our appreciation.

With the amount of members, it should be quite an arrangement! 3 part harmonies and everything!!!

Or the traditional barber shop quartet would be a classical spin on festive carols at the doorstep.

Any additional info on this?

This is what Point of View says in the FAQs:

Can I connect any external storage device on my tablet ?

Yes you can usb flashdrive and external hdd drive will be recognized . After you have connected it to the usb connector go to settings / iFileManager / press the usb stick icon (if this does not appear press the renew icon)

Now refresh the iFileManager to display the USB icon. Tap this icon to show the contents of the USB pendrive.

No driver is needed to support this USB host mode.

note: it is not possible to connect the tablet PC directly to your PC (USB Slave mode).

By using the USB slave mode it is not possible to connect other devices such as USB pendrives, USB keyboards, 3G adapters etc. For this reason POV has decided to make the tablet default a USB Host.

This is a setting incorporated deeply in the Android Operating system. The only way to change this is a full firmware update.

Point of View is working to publish this update very soon

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest rvdgeer
sorry, still a bit noobish - but how do we install/apply your download to the vega. would love this feature!

You can't...

It's up to the real devs to extract the valuable parts and put it in a ROM for us...

Guest English Haze

You don't. The information provided is for those in the know to examine the differences and then try to make the same changes to the Vega software. Leave it alone unless you're an Android developer who understands such things :)

Guest SilentMobius
sorry, still a bit noobish - but how do we install/apply your download to the vega. would love this feature!

You don't, if you did it would turn your Vega into a Mobii. This is more for the devs to tear apart and work out where the USB host switch is. I'm betting on a kernel config. I wonder how different their kernel configuration is compared to ours. Might try to sneak in a look while I'm at work.

Guest rvdgeer
You don't, if you did it would turn your Vega into a Mobii. This is more for the devs to tear apart and work out where the USB host switch is. I'm betting on a kernel config. I wonder how different their kernel configuration is compared to ours. Might try to sneak in a look while I'm at work.

Do you think you need more than just the system tar and boot image?

If you do, it might be wise for me not to flash a custom ROM for a while :)

Working on it!

P

Great to hear!

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest Redmirage
I'm starting this new topic, because I think this deserves more attention than it gets at the moment.

What is it?

Recently I bought a Point of View Mobii which is the exact same hardware as the Advent Vega.

However, the software is different at some points...

One of these is it has USB host mode enabled by default, where the Vega has USB slave mode enabled.

This means I can plugin a USB flashdrive with, let say, MP3's and can play them directly on the tablet.

With some very clear instructions by Paul (found here), a little Googling and my imagination I managed to tar the system dir and dump the boot image.

What does this mean?

This might mean the chefs (like Paul) will be able to determine how we can switch USB host and slave mode easily.

Wouldn't this be very cool? :)

Where is it?

I uploaded the system tar and the boot image to my Dropbox account.

You can find them here:

- system.tar.gz

- boot.img

How can I thank you?

No need to...

But you can thank my wife!

She bought me this Christmas present and allowed me to 'play' with it, just so I could let the community benefit.

If you think you can/will benefit from this, please leave my wife a short thank you note in your reply...

Her name is Joanneke...

I promise (as long as they're decent enough) I will let here read them...

But remember: it's my wife, so no proposals :)

Any more info on this?

This is what Point of View says in the FAQs:

Can I connect any external storage device on my tablet ?

Yes you can usb flashdrive and external hdd drive will be recognized . After you have connected it to the usb connector go to settings / iFileManager / press the usb stick icon (if this does not appear press the renew icon)

Now refresh the iFileManager to display the USB icon. Tap this icon to show the contents of the USB pendrive.

No driver is needed to support this USB host mode.

note: it is not possible to connect the tablet PC directly to your PC (USB Slave mode).

By using the USB slave mode it is not possible to connect other devices such as USB pendrives, USB keyboards, 3G adapters etc. For this reason POV has decided to make the tablet default a USB Host.

This is a setting incorporated deeply in the Android Operating system. The only way to change this is a full firmware update.

Point of View is working to publish this update very soon

you did!!!

how did you dump your rom?

i couldn't :(

anyway what's your firmware version?

newer then 1.07?

if not,i try it.

Guest rvdgeer
you did!!!

i couldn't :)

newer then 1.07?

if not,i try it.

Sorry, but now idea of the firmware version...

I don't have it here, so I can't look it up too...

I dumped the system with:

su

cd /system

busybox tar zcvf /sdcard/system.tar.gz *
...and the boot with...
su

busybox dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/sdcard/boot.img

after a couple of failed tries...

Guest dagrim1
you did!!!

i couldn't :)

newer then 1.07?

if not,i try it.

1.07 of POV? As far as I know that one isn't even released yet... They're still working on it.

Guest Touch Graphite

Cheers Joanneke, a wife who truly knows how to show favour towards her gadgety husband!

(But does this mean she's looking for even better christmas present in return!?)

Guest Touch Graphite
If this results in USB host then I'm happy to chip in!

All of us should go round and do a choir effort at their front door to show our appreciation.

With the amount of members, it should be quite an arrangement! 3 part harmonies and everything!!!

Or the traditional barber shop quartet would be a classical spin on festive carols at the doorstep.

Guest removed-14

Think I'll stick to a monetary donation! You would agree on hearing my singing efforts!

Guest rvdgeer

(But does this mean she's looking for even better christmas present in return!?)

She's pregnant...

What better gift could she wish for?

:)

If this results in USB host then I'm happy to chip in!

Ehm, given my answer to Touch Graphite that would be akward...

Guest removed-14
She's pregnant...

What better gift could she wish for?

:(

Congrats!

Ehm, given my answer to Touch Graphite that would be akward...

Ooops! Maybe some nappies might go a long way?! :)