USB-host mode enabled boot and system dump

Guest rvdgeer

Guest rvdgeer
Hahahaha, Tonyveb is now the adopted Godfather.

He didnt see that coming!

LOL!

That means he has to come over for the Christening :)

Actually I'm getting her a unique (only one made) necklace and matching bracelet...

And perfume...

And a book...

(Don't worry, she knows :))

That was just about enough to get her to get me the Mobii...

:(

Guest removed-14
LOL!

That means he has to come over for the Christening :)

Can do!

Congratulations to both of you, hope you will be getting the little one an Android device as a christening present!

Guest rvdgeer
Hmm, having issues extracting the boot image on this one. :)

P

Is it corrupt, or just hard to extract?

Was my dumpy faulty?

If so, please throw me a couple of methods to retry this evening...

Not sure really, it sorta looks right but my tools don't want to extract it.

You could try using 'dump_image'... grab this file then do 'adb push dump_image /data/local/ && adb shell /data/local/dump_image boot /sdcard/boot.new.img' which will give you a boot.new.img on your SDcard.

P

Interestingly, I've installed the system image onto my Vega and it works, but still no USB host... hence i'm 99.9% sure it's the kernel that enables it (which is in the boot image).

P

Guest rvdgeer

You could try using 'dump_image'... grab this file then do 'adb push dump_image /data/local/ && adb shell /data/local/dump_image boot /sdcard/boot.new.img' which will give you a boot.new.img on your SDcard.

P

Hmmm...

Will I be able to use ADB on my PC when the device has USB host mode enabled (so no USB Slave mode)...?

I haven't tried to connect it to my PC just yet, so it might just work...

Don't even know if I've got the right cable (didn't come with the device!)...

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest removed-14
Interestingly, I've installed the system image onto my Vega and it works, but still no USB host... hence i'm 99.9% sure it's the kernel that enables it (which is in the boot image).

P

Oh well, back to waiting for the kernel sources to be released then?

Guest JordanT92
Oh well, back to waiting for the kernel sources to be released then?

Well, there's nothing saying the kernel relating to the boot.img wouldn't work on the Vega? Same software and hardware so why not.

Edited by JordanT92

Guest rvdgeer

P

I managed to download the file, copy it to /data/local/ using Root Explorer and execute it using Connectbot...

The new dump is here:

boot.new.img

I hope you have more success extracting it this time...

Thanks to Joanneke again!

(Your replies helped :))

Guest emergant

P

Just curious if you compared the system dump to ours and whether there wee any interesting differences?

Guest emergant
I managed to download the file, copy it to /data/local/ using Root Explorer and execute it using Connectbot...

The new dump is here:

boot.new.img

I hope you have more success extracting it this time...

Thanks to Joanneke again!

(Your replies helped :))

Thanks to you both this It will hopefully be a big help.

Guest DanWilson

Joanneke - Will you mar--

But remember: it's my wife, so no proposals :)

Oh.

:)

Grats on the baby, grats on the device, grats at getting it early.

You have a good wife.

How can I thank you?

No need to...

But you can thank my wife!

She bought me this Christmas present and allowed me to 'play' with it, just so I could let the community benefit.

If you think you can/will benefit from this, please leave my wife a short thank you note in your reply...

Her name is Joanneke...

You can pass on my thanks to Joanneke, a good wife is hard to find! hold on to her! (been with mine for 30yrs now :) ).

Guest rvdgeer
It extracted this time! :)

I'll have a proper look tomorrow...

P

Great!

Tomorrow is my day off, so won't spend much time behind my pc...

Will check in ocassionaly

Guest bearded1
Great!

Tomorrow is my day off, so won't spend much time behind my pc...

Will check in ocassionaly

Hello everyone and congrats to rvdgeer! - this is my first post!

I'd just like to add that I'm cruising the site on my freshly updated Vega (thanks Paul!) which, by coincidence is an early Christmas present from MY pregnant wife! What are the chances eh? (It was a trade - she got an early Galaxy S)

Usb fuctionality is the only thing missing from this (i hesitate to say) 'tab' but if it can get it then it'll be perfect!

Fingers crossed and I'll use my vega at work tomorrow to check on any updates!

Thanks Joanneke!

Edited by bearded1

Guest JordanT92

Yay! USB host now works on my Vega :)! playing some files from my external usb now :) wonder if i could get a 3G dongle to work?...

USB Host on Vega

EDIT:

If anyone wants to try for themselves, download this file and extract it somewhere, put your Vega into recovery mode and run Update.bat and let nvflash flash the new update including the new kernel and boot.img to your Vega. AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is the stock 1.06.5 update but with usb host enabled in the kernel.

Just to let you know before flashing or kernels, barely got this boot.img to extract... I just wanted to play some files from my USB and couldn't wait til tomorrow for Paul to do it better than me... but it works :(

EDIT 2:

Okay, can't install Paul's R5 pack now because its no longer USB slave... hmm..

Edited by JordanT92

Guest amarko5
Yay! USB host now works on my Vega :lol:! playing some files from my external usb now :) wonder if i could get a 3G dongle to work?...

USB Host on Vega

EDIT:

If anyone wants to try for themselves, download this file and extract it somewhere, put your Vega into recovery mode and run Update.bat and let nvflash flash the new update including the new kernel and boot.img to your Vega. AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is the stock 1.06.5 update but with usb host enabled in the kernel.

Just to let you know before flashing or kernels, barely got this boot.img to extract... I just wanted to play some files from my USB and couldn't wait til tomorrow for Paul to do it better than me... but it works :P

what about a mouse or a keyboard ?? have you tried either ?? :) also would an external usb hdd work (should do really) ! :(

things are looking up for the vega everyday. possibilities of storage capacity has just increased masivhooosly !

what about a mouse or a keyboard ?? have you tried either ?? :) also would an external usb hdd work (should do really) ! :)

things are looking up for the vega everyday. possibilities of storage capacity has just increased masivhooosly !

+1

Fingers crossed on the mouse and keyboard now

Guest JordanT92
what about a mouse or a keyboard ?? have you tried either ?? :) also would an external usb hdd work (should do really) ! :)

External hard drive works fine, 500GB seagate, mouse and keyboard.. 2 secs il find out.

Guest amarko5
EDIT 2:

Okay, can't install Paul's R5 pack now because its no longer USB slave... hmm..

Paul did state you can do it from clockworkmod if you have that installed !!