Sorry but I had to go...

Guest radddogg

Guest Sotiris Lekkas
U r welcome but do note the way we use our phones and also the applications installed and running , the extended time it gives might be different . I have a friend using the 4800 mAH version yet it will only last him a day . No wonder he bought 4 extra batteries from DELL :)

If with the regular battery it lasts me until 8pm i think with the expended i will at least get 2-3 hours. I'm not a heavy user. My only problem is that i refuse to disable features from my phone just to save battery. For example i read in posts that people disable, GPS, Mobile Data, Blue-tooth, wifi and all sorts of tricks to make the battery last. I just want all my features. Why the hell should i have to disable the GPS from my phone since it's good to always have it on for location services. And why do i have to close wifi and enable Mobile Data whenever I'm on the road and vice versa when I'm home. I think a good device should be able to manage all this stuff on it's own. I'm really disappointed with android or dell in that matter. A good device should last at least a day with medium use and all these features enabled. I might not like Apple and what hey represent but i got to hand it to them... They are very careful in what they are producing. My wife's iPhone after a years and a half lasts two days with everything enabled and she uses it a lot to read blogs and watch youtube videos. Of course the screen is a lot smaller but still it's a big difference.

Guest Wee Thomas
I was but after losing calls and swype issues due to the dodgy screen and then the terrible battery life and the cyanogenmod port going stale (after I donated!!)

lol, you act like you donated Steve enough money to live off for an entire year. If you gave me that much money, not only would I have CM6 ported over to you within a month, I'd also guarantee you personal dell streak tech support for the entire year. So, why don't you give it a try again - let me know, I'll send over my resume!

Guest Pceasar

to the poster that said that has battery must last with all the services on I do not understand why you need gps on all day if you're not using it, location services only serve to allow advertisers to send stuff to you it's not useful, but to each his own.

it's funny and I know this is not the iphone but people really must think about the fact that the streak give you much better battery than even the iphone does and I know it's not an android but it's still a pretty decent device. I'm a bit of a battery freak is well I just need my battery to work from 7 am in the morning to around 10 to 11 pm at night, why does someone need a battery to work while there sleeping I have no idea but I guess to each is own again. I get a solid 18 hours with moderate use that is some engadget a little bit of the music playing, some surfing and at least 2 messaging apps. obviously when I first got the phone I used it extra and it did not last as long but now it last me a pretty decent 18 hours and I'm a moderate user. One thing I must note I feel like the mugen 1800 does slow my internet just a bit but worth it.

I'm glad the OP stayed with android, I hate the posts that say I'm leaving to iphone, no one on here care about iSheep activity so keep that to yourself, when I left iphone I didn't announce it to modmyI people, anyhow rant over, if dell can do a good job with froyo as they did with 8105 eclair rom then I see no reason to ever leave the streak, neither of the two we currently own. Dell just needs to iron out the fring kinks and browser redirect, unlock screen freezing kinks in 2.2 and the streak is the ultimate all in one, I use it more than my 4.3 inch work windows phone 7.

Guest Pceasar
If with the regular battery it lasts me until 8pm i think with the expended i will at least get 2-3 hours. I'm not a heavy user. My only problem is that i refuse to disable features from my phone just to save battery. For example i read in posts that people disable, GPS, Mobile Data, Blue-tooth, wifi and all sorts of tricks to make the battery last. I just want all my features. Why the hell should i have to disable the GPS from my phone since it's good to always have it on for location services. And why do i have to close wifi and enable Mobile Data whenever I'm on the road and vice versa when I'm home. I think a good device should be able to manage all this stuff on it's own. I'm really disappointed with android or dell in that matter. A good device should last at least a day with medium use and all these features enabled. I might not like Apple and what hey represent but i got to hand it to them... They are very careful in what they are producing. My wife's iPhone after a years and a half lasts two days with everything enabled and she uses it a lot to read blogs and watch youtube videos. Of course the screen is a lot smaller but still it's a big difference.

I'd love to see this, two days on the iphone lol, the only iphone my wife and I didn't have is the iphone 4 and we both had them for a year each neither of us got two days on any of them, the iphone 2G had the best battery life but never 2 days.... And she practically never uses the phone since she's working, I on the other hand had to use my profiles to regulate 3g and gps on my 3gs.

I'm not saying you're lying, maybe its the iphone 4 she has and if so apple has much improved

Guest Sotiris Lekkas
I'd love to see this, two days on the iphone lol, the only iphone my wife and I didn't have is the iphone 4 and we both had them for a year each neither of us got two days on any of them, the iphone 2G had the best battery life but never 2 days.... And she practically never uses the phone since she's working, I on the other hand had to use my profiles to regulate 3g and gps on my 3gs.

I'm not saying you're lying, maybe its the iphone 4 she has and if so apple has much improved

I have no reason for me to lie since i will never go back to iPhone again. I love android and i love my 5" screen. I just thing some company's are a little sloppy. I'm not demanding. I want the same as you, my phone to last until 11-12 witch is my bed time. As far as GPS goes I'm not saying that i absolutely needed, I'm saying that the device should be able to manage it so we end users don't have to bother with it.

Now the problems you mention are not the only ones unfortunately. I have other posts here and in XDA about these problems:

1) One problem that me and a lot of others have is the that we loose internet connection and we have to disable and re-enable wifi. Very annoying.

2) My phone does not ring some times for absolutely no reason. I see the screen or i can feel the vibrate. The next time someone call it will ring normally.

3) Phone sometimes restarts on it's own.

4) Lock screen pin code keypad is squeezed to the top with very small numbers.

Many others that i don't find very important.

Guest popetodd

That's funny, I've had 3 of these units and they all get at least 40 hours of standby and I only have to charge them once a day under HEAVY usage (3g surfing, WiFi surfing, eBook reading, constant emailing and hours of business calls per day).

I use task killers, shut down my browser when I am not using it and make sure I am not running endless background apps that use the network.

Like Twitter and Facebook for example.

If your battery dies in such short time it is because you are not doing what you need to to make sure something isn't running in the background draining it.

It really is that simple.

Edited by popetodd

Guest Shadowfactor

I currently have a streak and although I loved the 5 inch screen and the entire "feel" of the device.

The faults of the device are getting more than I can bear anymore ( Dodgy screen, constant freezing/lockups, Calls being dropped during call waiting, slow UI. ) The battery life was quite impressive for a device with such a large screen I have to say.

I just ordered a Nexus S and am switching to T-mobile, we'll see how it works out atleast I have 20 days to decide. I was really impressed with the Nexus S when I played around with the display model at best buy. Seems like a rock solid phone

Guest Pceasar
I have no reason for me to lie since i will never go back to iPhone again. I love android and i love my 5" screen. I just thing some company's are a little sloppy. I'm not demanding. I want the same as you, my phone to last until 11-12 witch is my bed time. As far as GPS goes I'm not saying that i absolutely needed, I'm saying that the device should be able to manage it so we end users don't have to bother with it.

Now the problems you mention are not the only ones unfortunately. I have other posts here and in XDA about these problems:

1) One problem that me and a lot of others have is the that we loose internet connection and we have to disable and re-enable wifi. Very annoying.

2) My phone does not ring some times for absolutely no reason. I see the screen or i can feel the vibrate. The next time someone call it will ring normally.

3) Phone sometimes restarts on it's own.

4) Lock screen pin code keypad is squeezed to the top with very small numbers.

Many others that i don't find very important.

See thats what I made sure to specifically say I'm not saying you're lying because I don't think you are, I just found it rather rare from all the iPhone friends I know plus my experience.

On to other fun android related stuff ............. I'm curious as to which ROM you are currently using as I'm using the 318 official build from dell, though prematurely installed if you catch my drift, baseband tinkering etc etc to get the update, and compared to your issues listed above are as follows:

1. I never have internet connection issues with wifi or regular data, I did notice it not get any signal once on 3G data but that was split second and required no intervention from me.

2. I never had any issues with phone not ringing it always comes through and I can pick it up (of course I get about 3 calls a day, so that maybe it)

3. My phone has restarted on its own, but only if I yank the plug out of the streak or if my battery cover isn't only securely and even then its rare, in other words its not a big fear of mine

4. I absolutely hate the lock screen with the keypad so I switched it to the pattern thingy, that is definitely something Dell screwed up and I agree with you on this one.

I'll add my phone specific issues

5. I did have the constant redirects issues, think its gone now after 318 and a browser cache clearing.

6. I think my camcorder thingy force closes.

7. accuweather force closes like evertime I'm in landscape (I usually ignore it but there Dell goes with their bloatware or as Andy Rubin called it "crapware", :-) well he was responding to a question using the term)

8. Calendar notification sucks but thats googles issue.

Anyways here is some perspective from me, I came from the iPhone -> Captivate (ugghh) -> Streak. iPhone I've already touched on earlier, Samsung Captivate has a brilliant screen but the hardware is horrible in terms of capacitive buttons for home, search etc, and the scrolling is horrendous it jumps all over the place, GPS was waaayyy off and to top it off they were very behind in considering updating to froyo. A cool story about this is I had a friend(s) that had samsung devices and told me how much android sucks and needed polishing and would show my their issues and then I would whip out my streak and watch it run circles around their device and they'd drop their jaws @ smooth scrolling and responsive home buttons etc. (true story)

Anyhow, long story short, in summary, people say many times android is for techies, and I agree with them, mostly dependent on the device. Android, depending on the device is not as polished as iOS and therefore requires some user interference especially if you're screwing with custom roms and upgrading in the manner I did, screwing with basebands etc. But if you're looking for the most potential in a device in terms of the things you can do and the way it looks and screen size then android is a good fit. I feel that a dell streak straight from the factory with Froyo will run better than the one I tinkered with, which is why my wife is getting the unlocked froyo one on Tuesday, she used my streak and loves the flash etc. I probably won't tinker with hers because I need it to run smoothly and I'll also teach her that its imperitive to close out all application instead of letting them run in the background unless she wants them to. Apple knows their system will appear flawless if they close an application entirely once you exit out of it, matter fact, I'm hoping google in honeycomb will add a setting that allows users to turn off multitasking for those that don't want to deal with closing apps, I'm leaving mine on if they ever implement it, I can handle it. Task killers kill and freeze your phone, I have resolved many issues for others by removing task killers and teaching them how to exit applications when finished with them. Another thing apple does is when something has encountered an error they don't tell you about it force closing they just close the application and you think ohhh what happened there? and you reopen the app and voila you figure oh well you're none the wiser, this has happened with IM+ etc on iPhone for me many times, but im+ tells you about the error apple doesn't.

Anyhow enough going on with thoughts, I sure hope your streak experience improves, you seem pretty loyal and I'd hate for dell to sway you away from your 5" screen, by the way Acer maybe launching a 4.8 incher next year maybe give Dell some competition ahh? we'll see I guess, happy holidays

Acer-Smartphone.jpg

Edited by Pceasar

Guest PLaY4PLaY

Hey, It's radddogg, OMG he did write the amazing "What you need to know" guide. This is not a person you need to tell about what a Dell Streak is like. I'm so sad to see you move on to a different device. That guide was a huge help to n00bs like me who did not know where to start. Maybe someday soon you'd come back. :) Hang around with us though. ;)