Why doesnt Android close the door on apple!?

Guest Touch Graphite

I never see the point of locking it down the way they do, fair enough shipping it the way you want it but if you buy it you should be able to make any changes you want.

I think you're missing the point. Apple make their money from the content and a streamlined way of getting it..... That's why they lock it down - most people won't jailbreak.

If you think I'm wrong - go and ask someone in HP's printer division what they sell. The answer will be ink :)

Guest warriorscot
I think you're missing the point. Apple make their money from the content and a streamlined way of getting it..... That's why they lock it down - most people won't jailbreak.

If you think I'm wrong - go and ask someone in HP's printer division what they sell. The answer will be ink

Lol, yeah I get that bit. I was meaning more along the lines of letting you replace the OS on the hardware rather than changing what was on it already. Sorry if that wasn't clear I was leaning more towards talking about OSX than iOS. I get the principle I guess I just don't like it, its why I firmly believe that for a healthy market and development when it comes to technology software and hardware should be designed in concert but from separate companies so there isn't the temptation to lock it down.

Guest emergant
I would probably say palm did that I remember my first hand-held which was a clie that was pretty brilliant for its day, its actually still usable which is something. I remember all the hassle of getting a 64Mb memory stick for it because they were just starting to become available in stores. Apple definitely opened it up to the masses I will say but it was definitely built off the backs of the progress and lessons from palmOS and others. Its actually nice to see palm start to make a comeback as well.

Yes mostly, I mean popularising the devices causing more competition in the market. Ive not used an Iphone but have played with an ipod touch a little and seen videos of the ipad. I think the UI is decent enough and understand the attraction but I dont like the way its locked down. Thats why I bought a nokia n900 and the vega. There both open allowing me to do whatever I want/can. I agree that google shouldnt lock out apple because then theyd be no better

Guest rferrett

For me though as long as they don't abuse a dominant position I don't really care about Apple. And lets be honest they are capable of innovation that feeds through to other stuff (or at least of popularising other peoples innovation).

Much as I dislike the cult of apple I am a bit "meh" really.

Ralph