weird wifi problem orange san francisco

Guest timmothy111

Guest timmothy111

Well i have this issue thats suddenly come up, i can no longer connect to wifi, it just connects and disconnects constantly and will not connect to a network.

I have rebooted and taken the battery out and still have the issue.

I dont want to have to wipe all the data again as i just got it how i want.

I am using 2.2 alpha3 from modaco.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Guest Stuart_f

I've seen mine do this on the stock rom, mostly with access points in airline lounges that are secured with WEP - it'll constantly cycle through associating and obtaining IP address. I have no cure for this unfortunately :)

Guest timmothy111

no was working on the network fine, then took it out of sleep once and i cant use wifi.

It cant even try to connect to a network as the wifi is not working correctly.

Guest Sebastian404

I have this most places I go, and especially at home, there are at least 6 open Wifi access points I can see from my place, and I cant connect to any of them

Guest oh!dougal
Well i have this issue thats suddenly come up, i can no longer connect to wifi, it just connects and disconnects constantly and will not connect to a network.

I have rebooted and taken the battery out and still have the issue.

I dont want to have to wipe all the data again as i just got it how i want.

I am using 2.2 alpha3 from modaco.

Any ideas?

Well, if it was working with this alpha (experimental) software ...

1 -- delete the network from the remembered list and make a new connection (re-entering your password) {in case network info corrupted}

2 -- try rebooting the router {router screwup with this specific device id)

3 -- you should be able to reflash the same rom without clearing data and caches {covering the situation where the driver has been corrupted}

Guest cmberry20

i had this exact same problem, & its actually not the phones fault (well not directly) & is actually the routers fault.

To sort out this problem you need to restart your router and your phone will now reconnect again. However, you need to do this each time you 'loose' the wifi connection.

This is a known fault with certain Netgear routers My Netgear router was doing this but I got a new Netgear router & this works great.

Guest chenz116

How do ya know its a problem with the router.

and did you buy a new router or get one of your provider

i had this exact same problem, & its actually not the phones fault (well not directly) & is actually the routers fault.

To sort out this problem you need to restart your router and your phone will now reconnect again. However, you need to do this each time you 'loose' the wifi connection.

This is a known fault with certain Netgear routers My Netgear router was doing this but I got a new Netgear router & this works great.

Guest cmberry20

i work in IT so i managed to get a new router as payment for a job, this fixed my problem. i figured it was the router as it was the only one that had the reconnection issue, all other routers allowed me to reconnect without a reboot. someone else on this forum had the exact same issue with the exact same router as me.

Edited by cmberry20

Guest Len Ash
i work in IT so i managed to get a new router as payment for a job, this fixed my problem. i figured it was the router as it was the only one that had the reconnection issue, all other routers allowed me to reconnect without a reboot. someone else on this forum had the exact same issue with the exact same router as me.

Interesting - I have an "Old" Netgear router (DG834GT) and a Linksys WAG160N and have no problems with either in terms of connectivity with Nokia E71, OSF, BB 8520. That's not to say you don't, but perhaps my firmware revision and router set up are different...

Surprisingly, the O2 Wireless Box 2 (Thomson TG785) has the best WLAN connectivity of all, but the poorest range...

Guest Len Ash
my router is the Netgear DG834Gv5 Firmwear Version 6.00.21

I was hoping this might slove the problem or is it a lost cause being a Netgear router

See my post above.... and your Firmware is out of date by miles if you are in Europe... as in the initial release from 2005/6 for crying out loud

What security are you using for WLAN?

Edited by Len Ash

Guest chenz116
See my post above.... and your Firmware is out of date by miles if you are in Europe... as in the initial release from 2005/6 for crying out loud

What security are you using for WLAN?

Ive updated the firmwear but the problem is still there.

how do you mean what security am i using :(

is this what you mean ?

WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

Edited by chenz116

Guest Phoenix Silver

is this what you mean ?

i would try with wep

i think i have read in this forum there is some problems with wpa

Guest Len Ash

is this what you mean ?

Updated to what version? The first release you posted is rubbish, to put it mildly.

You should be using WPA+WPA2

Are you using a clear channel?

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Len Ash
im now on version 6.00.25

so WPA2 or WEP ??

That's old too.. as in 2007

You should be using DG834Gv5 Firmware Release Version 1.6.01.34

And try WPA + WPA2 first (not WPA2), if that doesn't work try WEP as a last resort.

And are you using a clear WiFi channel?

Edited by Len Ash

Guest chenz116

And try WPA + WPA2 first (not WPA2), if that doesn't work try WEP as a last resort.

im downloading that now

whats a clear wifi channel ?

Guest Phoenix Silver

as a network administrator I've lost count of the number of times a firmware update saved my life :(

Edited by Phoenix Silver

Guest Len Ash
im downloading that now

whats a clear wifi channel ?

Do you have many potential other WiFi users around you (next door/flats etc.)? - If so, you will probably need to shift the WLAN channel from the stock 11 to 3 or 6. You can download a WiFI sniffer to see what channels are being used...

Do you use WLAN on anything else? Consoles/Notebooks?

Once your router reboots, you may have to wait for the DHCP server to restart, so WiFi connectivity (on anything) may be pants for a while.

Edited by Len Ash