Looking towards MCR r7 and beyond

Guest PaulOBrien

I will shortly be releasing r6 of my MCR add-on for the Vega, which includes things like the distinct multitouch fix, some more touch tweaks and some more minor performance tweaks as well as Google app / component updates baked in.

Going forward towards r7 however, I feel the time has come to move on from an 'add-on' model to a full ROM. The key benefit of this is that it will no longer depend on installing a particular 'base ROM' first, the flip side is that it will ONLY be installable via ClockworkMod recovery. I'm inclined to think this is a good thing given the hassles people have had installing on various platforms. :)

r7 will arrive early in the new year after the Christmas break, r6 will be online pretty soon.

Thanks everyone for your support of the Vega forum at MoDaCo so far, looking forward to souping up the device even more in 2011. Have a great Christmas! ;)

P

Guest MonkeyBoy451

thanks Paul - keep up the good work and looking forward to trying r6 & r7 when it comes.

Lets hope Clockwork is fixed better for flashing through the App rather than manually when the time comes. :)

Guest MonkeyBoy451
I'll liaise with Koush to get all that side of things working - there's no reason why it shouldn't, I've given him all the info he needs I believe...

P

Awesome. :)

Guest marmankites
I'll liaise with Koush to get all that side of things working - there's no reason why it shouldn't, I've given him all the info he needs I believe...

P

Will this work if my ADB has stopped working :

Guest jimbo25

Great news Paul!

Looking forward to R6 soon and R7 in the New Year.

Is the USB Host functionality something that you've managed to get into R6 or is this something to look forward to in R7+?

Guest boffboff

That's great news! Can't wait to see what tweaks R7 brings. I'm more than happy to go down the custom rom route using clockworkmod.

Thanks again Paul for the continued development!

Paul,

Can you confirm if anything further has been fixed in clockworkmod? A lot of us were seeming to have black screen boots which required a complete reflash. I was having these about once a day with CWM installed. Not had one problem after I didn't bother re-installing.

Guest wimsloboy
I have a pretty neat app that switches the USB mode from host / slave nearly ready...

P

Hi Paul sorry if this is a dumb question but do you mean that you will have a stand alone app which will switch between usb host/slave for all roms? I currently have R3 which is doing everything I want (at the moment !!) and am a very happy bunny but am reluctant to flash any further until R7 is ready... as you say it will be a "stand alone" rom which will be everything we need going by your amazing ability with the vega :)

I have a pretty neat app that switches the USB mode from host / slave nearly ready...

P

Can it do it without a reboot - because that would be very special :)

Edit: oh and forgot to say update.zip is the way forward!

Edited by Higgsy

Guest wobblydoggy
Looking forward to r6 and all future updates including r7.

How soon are we talking? :) pre xmas day or post? no rush just need to know whether to take the laptop to london in order to flash it while i'm down there.

Guest Sir Gash

Thanks Paul, looking forward to the new releases. I think the full ROM for R7 onwards is a good idea.

Paul,

Can you confirm if anything further has been fixed in clockworkmod? A lot of us were seeming to have black screen boots which required a complete reflash. I was having these about once a day with CWM installed. Not had one problem after I didn't bother re-installing.

I got a black screen once but it is not a major problem, just do regular nandroid backups. ROM Manager now works well on the Vega which makes it easy to restore/backup.

I got a black screen once but it is not a major problem, just do regular nandroid backups. ROM Manager now works well on the Vega which makes it easy to restore/backup.

Sorry, I don't think it's acceptable to have a system where I have to rely on backing up just in case a bootloader fails. The bootloader is the thing that must ALWAYS work 100% of the time (at least in my business it does where it costs real money to send people on-site to rectify any problems if a software update fails). For example, what happens if I'm away for 2 weeks and it fails and I have no access to a PC to reformat it?

EDIT: I'm glad Paul's working on new releases though :)

Edited by arad85

Sorry, I don't think it's acceptable to have a system where I have to rely on backing up just in case a bootloader fails. The bootloader is the thing that must ALWAYS work 100% of the time (at least in my business it does where it costs real money to send people on-site to rectify any problems if a software update fails). For example, what happens if I'm away for 2 weeks and it fails and I have no access to a PC to reformat it?

EDIT: I'm glad Paul's working on new releases though :)

Thats hacking i'm afraid, the risk is always there. If its not acceptable stay stock imo.

Guest warriorscot

Gotta agree with Higgsy its the price of the cutting edge. If you have something mission critical you don't use anything in testing or unreliable. Its the classic balancing game of better features and technology or more reliability. The fact that clockwork isn't totally reliable for the vega yet is the main reason I am not using it yet, same goes for the USB host mod already kicking about. To me my Vega at the moment is mission critical so yes it has a mod on it but not the more experimental stuff.

Thats hacking i'm afraid, the risk is always there. If its not acceptable stay stock imo.

I don't think that's the right way to look at it (and I think a tad arrogant :)). I think it would be better to fix the bootloader first, before concentrating on more features. The problem is that if no one is working on the bootloader (and I see no evidence that anyone is), and instead working on the core, you'll end up with a development with lots of features that is flaky, or a more boring one which works all the time.

The problem is that if the ONLY way I can get to new features from Paul is via a flaky bootloader - that will limit the platform to interested hackers rather than Joe Public in general. That's not my view of what this tablet (or what this community) is all about.

I don't think that's the right way to look at it (and I think a tad arrogant :)). I think it would be better to fix the bootloader first, before concentrating on more features. The problem is that if no one is working on the bootloader (and I see no evidence that anyone is), and instead working on the core, you'll end up with a development with lots of features that is flaky, or a more boring one which works all the time.

The problem is that if the ONLY way I can get to new features from Paul is via a flaky bootloader - that will limit the platform to interested hackers rather than Joe Public in general. That's not my view of what this tablet (or what this community) is all about.

Indeed.

Paul has already said he has passed information onto Koush and asked him to look at it, i'm sure he'll iron out any issues.