Desire Noob

Guest kbrdy

Hi to all,

I am a Desire noob from Turkey, and so sorry for my bad English.

I bought my device from Vodafone, it's the disributor of Desire here. And because of some legal statuses Google doesn't give Market support in Turkey, and so I don't have Market app in my device.

So I want to both get rid of Vodafone ROM and install Market app.

If I could install a stock ROM from HTC and use Market and take all of updates from HTC, it would be perfect.

What can/should I do to fully use my device?

Thank you all for answers/advices.

Guest dreamdealer
Hi to all,

I am a Desire noob from Turkey, and so sorry for my bad English.

I bought my device from Vodafone, it's the disributor of Desire here. And because of some legal statuses Google doesn't give Market support in Turkey, and so I don't have Market app in my device.

So I want to both get rid of Vodafone ROM and install Market app.

If I could install a stock ROM from HTC and use Market and take all of updates from HTC, it would be perfect.

What can/should I do to fully use my device?

Thank you all for answers/advices.

root your device.. loads of info on this forum so your in the right place.

root your device.. loads of info on this forum so your in the right place.

Thanks for your answer,

I am following this forum for a while and found a lot of info about a lot of things. But I figured out that it isn't like jailbreaking an iPhone. There is a lot of operation to do a lot of thing.

I just wanna know what to do. It is easy to find how to do in this forum thanks to helpful users. :)

Edited by kbrdy

Guest dreamdealer
Thanks for your answer,

I am following this forum for a while and found a lot of info about a lot of things. But I figured out that it isn't like jailbreaking an iPhone. There is a lot of operation to do a lot of thing.

I just wanna know what to do. It is easy to find how to do in this forum thanks to helpful users. :)

Unrevoked is your friend to get started.. happy rooting.

Unrevoked is your friend to get started.. happy rooting.

Thanks for the advice, I am surveying the page.

By the way, is it possible to find a ROM that released for an another country that benefits from all of the features to flash for? ROM must be released by HTC.

Guest dreamdealer
Thanks for the advice, I am surveying the page.

By the way, is it possible to find a ROM that released for an another country that benefits from all of the features to flash for? ROM must be released by HTC.

As far as I am aware all roms are universal language wise specially a European one, the rom I use is DHD Rom Port by baadnwz v1.3 this comes with a Market Access app. I personalty never used it, and i hope someone who understands it more could let you know if it works or not or how you can include it in any rom. I am sure it does or it would not be on the rom in the first place, the only problem is the rom i use uses apps2sd, and I am not going to explain it right now because there's tones of info about it on this forum and others, and I don't know if the rom will still work if you don't have an ext partition I am guessing it won't , and it would be nice if someone could take 2 mins to answer this for me because since i use apps2sd all the time its not something I really needed to know, so wont spend my time looking it up.

As far as I am aware all roms are universal language wise specially a European one, the rom I use is DHD Rom Port by baadnwz v1.3 this comes with a Market Access app. I personalty never used it, and i hope someone who understands it more could let you know if it works or not or how you can include it in any rom. I am sure it does or it would not be on the rom in the first place, the only problem is the rom i use uses apps2sd, and I am not going to explain it right now because there's tones of info about it on this forum and others, and I don't know if the rom will still work if you don't have an ext partition I am guessing it won't , and it would be nice if someone could take 2 mins to answer this for me because since i use apps2sd all the time its not something I really needed to know, so wont spend my time looking it up.

I think this is a custom ROM right? If you used i900 Omnia with custom roms, you can understand me better. I don't want to flash from a ROM to another. Can I use a ROM released by HTC? and can I flash in Mac OS X?

I think this is a custom ROM right? If you used i900 Omnia with custom roms, you can understand me better. I don't want to flash from a ROM to another. Can I use a ROM released by HTC? and can I flash in Mac OS X?

I'm also coming from Omnia so I can understand your problems with that phone but you usually won't have those problems with Android custom roms. You can use a stock HTC rom but I suggest that you at lest look at a custom rom that's close to stock. You can get rid of a lot of useless apps (once you find out what's useful to you and what not).

You can use unrevoked on mac but flashing will take place on the phone via custom recovery (you'll upload the rom and update it from there).

I'm also coming from Omnia so I can understand your problems with that phone but you usually won't have those problems with Android custom roms. You can use a stock HTC rom but I suggest that you at lest look at a custom rom that's close to stock. You can get rid of a lot of useless apps (once you find out what's useful to you and what not).

You can use unrevoked on mac but flashing will take place on the phone via custom recovery (you'll upload the rom and update it from there).

Is there any tutorial for how to flash Desire in Mac? I am looking for it but can't find any useful info. :(

Just go to unrevoked webpage and you'll find all the instructions you need.

unrevoked ok. I rooted the device. Now I want to install a new ROM to device.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...tc-desire-roms/

I want to use RUU ROM given in this link but it is an .exe file.

edit: I have managed to unzip the .exe file and I have a .zip file. Can I install using it?

Edited by kbrdy

You'll need a goldcard if your phone is tied to an operator and you'll lose root if you flash an official RUU so you'll have to run unrevoked again if you want root.

You'll find plenty of howtos for it.

You'll need a goldcard if your phone is tied to an operator and you'll lose root if you flash an official RUU so you'll have to run unrevoked again if you want root.

You'll find plenty of howtos for it.

tied to an operator means simlock?

No. I meant branded. Sorry. Vodaphone usually brands their devices.

Yes, my device WAS branded too ;) At last, I managed to install a custom ROM. It was a little complicated but I started to understand, I think ;) (although using Unix systems on my computers for a long time ;))

In brief, to flash a custom ROM, we first root the device (with unrevoked, so it flashes a custom recovery image to the device) then put the .zip file of ROM to SD Card and from the Recovery Mode, select the .zip file to install. If I miss any process please make me informed. :(

And one question, will I be able to get all updates for Android in custom ROM? If not, what to do to get them?

One question too, ;), I followed the instructions here, and in some processes I can't find the command said in the instruction on my device. For example it says "Apply .zip from sd card" but there isn't a choice in my device like that, but as its alternative there is "Install zip from sd card". Do they mean the same thing? If so, why this differance is seen?

edit: corrections.

Edited by kbrdy

Guest dreamdealer
Yes, my device WAS branded too ;) At last, I managed to install a custom ROM. It was a little complicated but I started to understand, I think ;) (although using Unix systems on my computers for a long time ;))

In brief, to flash a custom ROM, we first root the device (with unrevoked, so it flashes a custom recovery image to the device) then put the .zip file of ROM to SD Card and from the Recovery Mode, select the .zip file to install. If I miss any process please make me informed. :(

And one question, will I be able to get all updates for Android in custom ROM? If not, what to do to get them?

One question too, ;), I followed the instructions here, and in some processes I can't find the command said in the instruction on my device. For example it says "Apply .zip from sd card" but there isn't a choice in my device like that, but as its alternative there is "Install zip from sd card". Do they mean the same thing? If so, why this differance is seen?

edit: corrections.

1. you will not get any official over the air OTA updates of android if the rom developer has disabled the function, you will get OTA if not, but if you do its wise not to install it because you will loose root, sounds bad, but in truth the rom developers jump onto a new android build way before your carrier shifts out an OTA, some even modify and make roms from builds released in china who sometimes get the new android build before anyone else in europe. Best advice is to keep checking on xda developers and on here for new builds and follow your current custom rom provider.

2. dont quote me on this but theres 2 known recovery menus for the desire one is RA recovery the other is clockwork, I am guessing that even though i have checked the link and it doest seem to stream the video that the recovery they are using is RA and your using clockwork since I think thats the one that comes as default with Unrevoked I think but in a nut shell its the same thing. But you probably already worked that out by now.

1. you will not get any official over the air OTA updates of android if the rom developer has disabled the function, you will get OTA if not, but if you do its wise not to install it because you will loose root, sounds bad, but in truth the rom developers jump onto a new android build way before your carrier shifts out an OTA, some even modify and make roms from builds released in china who sometimes get the new android build before anyone else in europe. Best advice is to keep checking on xda developers and on here for new builds and follow your current custom rom provider.

2. dont quote me on this but theres 2 known recovery menus for the desire one is RA recovery the other is clockwork, I am guessing that even though i have checked the link and it doest seem to stream the video that the recovery they are using is RA and your using clockwork since I think thats the one that comes as default with Unrevoked I think but in a nut shell its the same thing. But you probably already worked that out by now.

Thank you very much for infos :(

Now searching for a good ROM...

Guys I have HBOOT 0.93 and RUU Install doesn't complete because of the Error with the code 140: BOOTLOADER VERSION.

I tried with RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_

igned.exe

Also I'm not sure I'm trying with the correct RUU. If it's alright what must I do?

Guest dreamdealer
Guys I have HBOOT 0.93 and RUU Install doesn't complete because of the Error with the code 140: BOOTLOADER VERSION.

I tried with RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_

igned.exe

Also I'm not sure I'm trying with the correct RUU. If it's alright what must I do?

if you rooted your phone with unrevoked, why are you trying to flash an RUU.exe you will loose root if it did work.

if you rooted your phone with unrevoked, why are you trying to flash an RUU.exe you will loose root if it did work.

I wanted to debrand the device, and now I succeeded it :( I installed a generic rom and now root.

By the way how does root help us? In which apps or in what?

By the way how does root help us? In which apps or in what?
Installing a custom rom. Adfree (so you can use free apps and don't see any advertisements). A2SD. And a lot of other things.

Installing a custom rom. Adfree (so you can use free apps and don't see any advertisements). A2SD. And a lot of other things.

Will I be able to use the device like a UNIX system (Ubuntu or other Linux distros) with root? or what?

Will I be able to use the device like a UNIX system (Ubuntu or other Linux distros) with root? or what?
I've given you the answer. But yes you will also be able to use the terminal if you wish.