T-Mobile OTA 2.2 update for Wildfire

Guest Bob Mann

Guest Bob Mann

Hi all,

My other halfs wildfire has just caused a few blue words and panics as it just updated... apparently t-mobile announced that some customers will be getting an over the air update.

with the device suddenly taking half a life time to come back on causing me to google wildly looking to see if anyone else had similar issues, when the whole thing finally kicks back in and im now left with a sluggish unbranded htc wildfire. (edit - not that it was branded before, i bought it from fones4u and the unbranded GSM wildfire was all they had, as apposed to the tmobile version they should have given us)

so what has this update actually given?

I know there is now an option for wifi hotspot (big whup-de-doo) and apparently allows for "flash lite" but live wallpapers arent activated and i havent got an sd card that will allow for trialling app2sd.

has anyone else have the mis/fortune to try out this update yet?

Bob

Edited by Bob Mann

Guest alexipharmakon

I have a T-Mobile Wildfire and received a message that an OTA update was available. I grabbed the download and installed, now my Wildfire won't respond to any of the buttons (except the power button) and the touchscreen doesn't respond either.

I can't even answer when I get an incoming call, although it does show a missed call.

In short, I can't do ANYTHING with it.

Called 150 and eventually (after four or five attempts) got through to a human being who listened to my problem before passing me onto someone else, who listened to my problem before passing my details on to someone at HTC who will call me back tomorrow morning sometime.

I'll continue this after the call from HTC.

******EDIT******

I called Wednesday evening (29/12/2010) at about 9pm, and am awaiting HTC's call which is due Thursday 30/12/2010 first thing in the morning.

TBC . . .

Edited by alexipharmakon

Guest alexipharmakon

OK, so the HTC people didn't get back to me, so I phoned them.

After telling my tale once again, and being put on hold, the decision was made to reset to factory settings thereby losing all the apps and data that I had accrued over the past few weeks. Fortunately I had not commited the cardinal sin of procrastination - I had backed up my phone recently, as we all should. I have lost a few messages and emails, but I can live with that.

The reset procedure is simplicity itself, just hold the volume down button and press the power button momentarily. As soon as the three androids show up at the bottom of the screen let go of the volume down button and then use the volume buttons to scroll up and down untill CLEAR STORAGE is highlighted, press the power button and hey presto - all your data is no more!! Unfortunately, this did nothing to restore functionality to my Wildfire :(

after a little more fiddling it was decided that the touch-screen had died but that it had nothing to do with the update.

So now I'm wrapping my Wildfire in bubble wrap and attaching a return label which I received via email. UPS will collect it tomorrow morning and deliver it to HTC in Milton Keynes. I will be using an old Cybershot for up to 14 days while they assess and repair the Wildfire.

I will end this sad tale as soon as my little treasure has been returned to me.

TBC . . .

Guest Bob Mann

tough break dude, i know a guy who works in my local tmobile shop, and he doesnt like me shopping in there as he knows what im like if something doesnt work if its the fault of a companies actions... i would have gone to the store and demanded they replace the item, dont budge until you get what you want

Guest monkums

Same thing happend to me. Did the update and phone locked. Tried soft and hard reset and then took it into my local T-Mobile store and it has been sent for repair. :unsure:

Guest Bob Mann
I just bought a unbranded, unlocked HTC wildfire from carphone warehouse for £130 and it came with 2.2 on it

i got one between christmas and new year from vodafone, branded with vodafone logo on startup otherwise its unlocked and that also had 2.2 on it along with the updated hboot :D im currently watching unrevoked's twitter page like a hawk... i want root so i can block the adverts that slow down apps so much :P

Guest Qwertymon
i got one between christmas and new year from vodafone, branded with vodafone logo on startup otherwise its unlocked and that also had 2.2 on it along with the updated hboot :D im currently watching unrevoked's twitter page like a hawk... i want root so i can block the adverts that slow down apps so much :P

dont they have a 28 day retrun you just have to pay for the sim? then go get one from carphone warehouse, 30 quid cheaper and is unlocked from the start

Guest alexipharmakon

Well, I finally got my Wildfire back from HTC. It works fine, and has Froyo update. The curious thing is that the repair ticket that came back with it said that there was no fault.

All I have to do now is reload my contacts, pictures, music and settings, and reinstall all the apps. Easy enough, just a bit of a bore.

Thankyou HTC, but there realy was a fault. I just hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

So that ends my little tale. I'm back in the land of the living and happy again ;)