Video guides on updating Vega's firmware, R5 ROM (WinXP), & R6 ROM (Win7)

Guest thwacker

Guest thwacker

I'm relatively new to Android and I found some aspects of other guides a little lacking in detail so I have prepared this video guide which may help other novice Vega users wishing to update their Vega.

Let me know if these are useful.

PS Another member Touch Graphite has noted a useful tip below:

Put the Vega on charge, and then select 'Keep screen awake whilst charging, under the same menu as USB debugging.

You need to keep the screen on because if it goes off, the USB connection also turns off. Very annoying.

Edited by thwacker

Guest trevor432990
I don't understand why there is only a windows upgrade facility for this Android device

don't advent know anything ???

Think you'll find this line in the upgrade steps :-

"Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac"

Which kinda implies it's not just Windows right?

Guest jezwick
Think you'll find this line in the upgrade steps :-

"Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac"

Which kinda implies it's not just Windows right?

Really

I havent seen that anywhere on myadventvega.co.uk

:(

I'm relatively new to Android and I found some aspects of other guides a little lacking in detail so I have prepared this video guide which may help other novice Vega users wishing to update their Vega.

I'm also preparing a video guide on installing Paul's r5 custom ROM

I like this a lot, it is easy to follow so perfect for a novice like myself, when do you expect to have the r5 guide done, if I can follow it I might just give it a go. thanks again.

Guest thwacker
I like this a lot, it is easy to follow so perfect for a novice like myself, when do you expect to have the r5 guide done, if I can follow it I might just give it a go. thanks again.

Thanks. It's good to know that someone has found it useful.

I was just about to sit down and start a video guide for the new release R6. I'd already finished a guide for R5. I'll post it anyway. It should be on YouTube later this evening and I'll leave a note of the link here.

Note that I used an old XP laptop to install R5 and like some others I had a bit of difficulty installing the USB driver. As noted in the video guide I found some helpful instructions on these forums from WelshBlob and that fixed the problem.

I'll try to do a guide for R6 but it may be next week before it's finished as I'm going to be heavily engaged in New Year activities, i.e. I'll probably have a hangover! :(

Guest thwacker

Video guide to installing R5.

www.youtube.com/deletedlink

Sorry. For some reason the captions on the above version of this video didn't get to YouTube as expected.

is the revised version including captions. Edited by thwacker

Guest thwacker

Video guide to installing R6 ROM

Many thanks to Paul for the ROM and other users of the forum for tips and guides on installing it.

Let me know if you find this video guide useful or if it could be improved.

Guest Touch Graphite

Its a quick query but the big Vega guns need to confirm/note this:

Whilst viewing your R6 Upgrade with Win7, I spotted something on the command prompt which Ive also had trouble with during 2 of my attempted 3 flashes with the add-on packs, and Im unsure as to why this happens.

When running the install-windows.bat file, the command prompt 'prompts' that its 'Re-mounting system partition' and then 'remount succeeded'.

It then packages the froyoflashplayer.apk file and comes back with a success.

Then it 'prompts' 'Success' but then says 'making room for new files'............ (and here's where it all goes wrong.........)

rm railed for system/etc/shuttle_priv/*, No such file or directory

All this happens at 4:16 very quickly.

There have been multiple posts, including my device that this 'shuttle_priv' folder does not exist when trying to re-enable the flashplayer as described by Paul, and 2 of the 3 add on flashes I've attempted (of the same type I might add) and have had 1 or 2 'No such file or directory' errors when pushing the first few files onto the device through command prompt.

I'm adamant that this has caused the 'half working market' that I and others have experienced.

Since my last flash which had no 'rm' errors, the device is now smoking fast, with full market access and was evident that I was running on half steam up until my reflash of the add-on.

Another symptom of a bad add-on flash is that market apps I requested to download were not starting to download immediately, since the success reflash, they're downloading before my finger gets off the 'OK' button.

I've attached a screenshot of the last successful add-on flash that since all things have worked fine.

Anyone care to comment or add that they have the same symptoms!?

post-801305-1294257084_thumb.jpg

Guest bennji_boy

Oh dear, I'm not doing too well with this, I followed the instructuctions of downloading Paul's ROM and got as far as installing the drivers, I had the issue where the device was being recognised as a USB Mass Storage Device.

I followed the instructions by uninstalling the mass storage device (there was not a Disc Drive for Nvideo Tegra so that may be an issue). Then I followed the instructions by scanning for hardware changes and the new hardware wizard came up, so far so good.

Anyway, when I completed the add hardware wizard after pointing it to the drivers file as per the instructions it reinstalled itself as a USB Mass Storage Device again and there was no Android driver.

I thought I'd try again and uninstall the USB Mass Storage Device and scan for hardware changes again but the device automatically reinstalled itself as a USB Mass Storage Device without giving me the Add new hardware wizard.

Help

Guest bennji_boy
What OS you running?

Is the Vega in USB debugging mode!?

What happens if you unplug and re-insert the device!?

I've rebooted and the android phone driver has appeared, I'll let you know once I've completed the next step.

Thanks mate

ps it's XP

Guest bennji_boy
I've rebooted and the android phone driver has appeared, I'll let you know once I've completed the next step.

Thanks mate

ps it's XP

It's been stuck at

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

for quite a while, I know my PC is slow but is this normal? The vega looks like it's gone into standby mode.

Do I need to do anything or just wait?

Guest Touch Graphite

Put the Vega on charge, and then select 'Keep screen awake whilst charging, under the same menu as USB debugging.

You need to keep the screen on because if it goes off, the USB connection also turns off. Very annoying.

Guest Touch Graphite

Navigate to your folder with the addon using command prompt then type 'adb-windows devices'

Then it should say, (along these lines)

Devices connected:

(Some long random number)

If you got a device number in the list then your ready to flash the add-on.

Guest Touch Graphite
It's been stuck at

for quite a while, I know my PC is slow but is this normal? The vega looks like it's gone into standby mode.

Do I need to do anything or just wait?

Sorry for frangmented replies.

This proces takes seconds and doesnt hang for more than 10 seconds.

Around 1 minute in total from typing install-windows.bat to showing the screen I posted above.

Guest bennji_boy
Sorry for frangmented replies.

This proces takes seconds and doesnt hang for more than 10 seconds.

Around 1 minute in total from typing install-windows.bat to showing the screen I posted above.

All done, thanks for your speedy responses, much appreciated, you're a star

Guest unisoft
Thanks. It's good to know that someone has found it useful.

I was just about to sit down and start a video guide for the new release R6. I'd already finished a guide for R5. I'll post it anyway. It should be on YouTube later this evening and I'll leave a note of the link here.

Note that I used an old XP laptop to install R5 and like some others I had a bit of difficulty installing the USB driver. As noted in the video guide I found some helpful instructions on these forums from WelshBlob and that fixed the problem.

I'll try to do a guide for R6 but it may be next week before it's finished as I'm going to be heavily engaged in New Year activities, i.e. I'll probably have a hangover! :unsure:

I had already updated mine successfully as Paul's guide was good, but it's great to see someone taking the time to help others out by a VERY EASY to understand video, end to end.

This is what the internet started off like - a community before all the malware stuff kicked off to trick people, and hopefully will continue despite seeing lots of twatty demands etc .....

Excellent work B)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Cant-think-of-one

Just a quick line to say many thanks for taking the time to publish these.

I wasn't going to bother with the vega, being a complete techno numpty (see my thread ;) ) but seeing it in the flesh like this has inspired me to give it a go.

Thanks again,

Chris

• 1 month later...
Guest 995632

Hi guys, am new to this site and have just picked up a couple of new updated Vegas for my school and wanted to know if anyone had a video guide for the R8 Rom.

Thanks

Guest blcollier
Hi guys, am new to this site and have just picked up a couple of new updated Vegas for my school and wanted to know if anyone had a video guide for the R8 Rom.

Thanks

I haven't seen the vid, but from what I've seen of the comments in this thread, it seems like there will be very little difference for installing the R8 ROM:

• Download & extract the ROM
  • Extract the Android Debug Bridge drivers included with the ROM
  • Turn on USB Debugging and connect to the PC
  • Replace the default ADB Bridge drivers with the ones supplied with the ROM
  • Run the "install-windows.bat" file
  • Grab a cuppa :D

Guest thwacker

Thanks

The same technique works for the R8 Rom so just follow my video guide but substitute R8 for R6.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bobby Elliott
I haven't seen the vid, but from what I've seen of the comments in this thread, it seems like there will be very little difference for installing the R8 ROM:
  • Download & extract the ROM
  • Extract the Android Debug Bridge drivers included with the ROM
  • Turn on USB Debugging and connect to the PC
  • Replace the default ADB Bridge drivers with the ones supplied with the ROM
  • Run the "install-windows.bat" file
  • Grab a cuppa :D

Using this procedure, there is no need to go into Recovery Mode to install the ROM software? The guy didn't go into RM (Recovery Mode) in the video. He just installed the software from the command prompt. Is that right?