"Android for Dummies"?

Guest jda180

Hi

As a reasonably technically literate new user (my PC experience goes back to PC/DOS, Windows from 3.1, PalmPilot in 1996, Windows Mobile etc etc, I'm new to Android and never been that strong on Linux so looking for a good introduction to Android.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=619153 seems to offer a basic intro, but is very focussed on specific tasks - some of the other guides just list the menus that I can discover anyway!

Can anyone recommend a good guide? Something like the old "Windows for Dummies" books from the 1990s????

I've had a Commtiva N700 with Android 2.2 for a few weeks and am starting to learn more about it, but would like to find the right guide to get me going.

Yours

Jonathan

Guest slarti99

I'm in the same boat, too much mini and mainframe experience and left Linux to those with beards (at the time) !.

Still looking so will post back if I find something.

Guest jda180

Thanks for the links Ray.... I think I'm starting to get the hang of my tablet & Android.

Next step is a Linux primer, I guess.

Reminds of of old forum discussions back in the early PalmPilot days when people were trying to imagine the "perfect PDA" - these new Android devices get very close!

- touch screen with simple text entry

- high quality colour display

- usable batter life

- built in always on internet access

- plenty of storage

- ability to play music and video

etc