29/Dec [GUIDE] Fix the Blue Tint problem after flashing Superboot on TFT Device

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK

Symptoms

After installing Superboot or a ROM that is not TFT compatible, colours on the device have a
BLUE TINT

Also after the device sleeps it appears to be impossible to wake it up.

History

Early ZTE Blades (UK San Fransisco's) had OLED screens. Tools (Superboot) and ROM's were developed based on the code and kernels available.

Soon ZTE Blades were switched to TFT screens, these had a different kernel and ROM.

Problem

Many guides on the internet don't warn users about the OLED/TFT issues.

Some users rush in without reading.

What they end up with is a device that is not usable.

Recovery

All is not lost.

Your device can be fixed.

We need to put back a
boot
image and
ROM
image that supports TFT

Firstly you must put back the stock image that will put the device back to how you bought it (fixes both BOOT and ROM).

Secondly you should put a decent Custom ROM on there (one that does support TFT this time) - updates the ROM.

Instructions

Here is a break down on what we are going to do

1. Install Clockwork

2. Install Stock ROM

3. Install Custom ROM and Wipe

Stage 1 : Install Clockwork

Download fastboot (ROMraid Load Balancing)

fastboot.zip

Extract fastboot on your Desktop (windows users do it on the root of C drive)

Download 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod Recovery

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...overy-oled-tft/

Move the file
recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img
into the
fastboot
directory

Open a Terminal (or a command window if you are in Windows)

cd Desktop/fastboot
Windows alternative command
cd c:\fastboot
Get your md5sum utility from:
http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip
(COMMAND LINE VERSION) Extract this Zip file contents and put them into your
Fastboot
directy.
md5sum recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img
Check that the outputted MD5 is: 20dcbd18aa26c7faf3f04ac7c694b56b Turn off your phone and take out the battery. Unplug the phone from the PC / charger. Replace the battery and turn the phone back on with 'volume up' held down. The device will stay at the 'green android' screen. Plug the phone into the PC. In the terminal (still in the fastboot directory)
sudo ./fastboot-linux flash recovery  recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img
fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img
Windows
if you see the error waiting for device - check that you have the
ZTE drivers
installed
MAC
if you see the error :
ERROR: could not get pipe properties rebooting...
you should be able to ignore it - check you can get into clockwork
all
If you get
"writing 'recovery'… FAILED (status read failed (Protocol error)) android"
change the usb cable, and try another USB port.
When this finishes, in the terminal run
sudo ./fastboot-linux reboot
fastboot-windows reboot
Wait for the phone to reboot You can now use the Volume Down button held (when powering on the phone) to get to the ClockworkMod menu Stage 2 : Install Stock ROM
This sections assumes you have a UK ZTE Blade - acquire the correct STOCK TFT ROM for your country for this stage. Download the
OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08 (OLED+TFT devices)
- Stock system image and boot image
http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...online-kitchen/
Put the
OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08-update-stock-blade-unsigned.zip
file onto your desktop Open a Terminal (or a command window if you are in Windows)
cd Desktop
md5sum OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08-update-stock-blade-unsigned.zip

Check that the outputted MD5 is: 8f082502f8b5b6dc5cf9e9fef626e786

Turn off your phone and take out the battery. Unplug the phone from the PC / charger.

Replace the battery and turn the phone back on with 'volume down' held. The device will go to a ClockworkMod Recovery menu screen.

• Use Volume Up / Down to move between options
  • Use Home key to select an option (you may need to hit home twice to select the option)
  • Use Back key to go back

Choose the 7th item on the list mounts and storage

Choose the last item on the list mount USB storage

A new drive will mount on your computer - this is the SDCard in your phone.

Copy the OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08-update-stock-blade-unsigned.zip file off your desktop into the ROOT of the sdcard (new drive) (this means copy it onto the sdcard - but not into any of the directories)

Unmount the drive on your computer then use clockwork to unmount the USB.

Go back to the main menu of Clockwork then coose the 2nd item "choose zip from sdcard"

Choose the file "OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08-update-stock-blade-unsigned.zip"

Choose the various yes options

When complete use the back button to get back to the main menu.

WARNING : the next 2 steps will wipe your phone of all personal data - you can try to skip these next two options, but if you cant boot, remove the battery from the phone and come back into clockwork and do them

From the clockwork menu choose: Clear Cache

From the clockwork menu choose: Factory Reset

You can now choose the reboot system now

You should now boot into a STOCK ROM.

Stage 3 : Install Custom ROM and Wipe

Select a TFT compatible ROM from here
    http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...and-other-roms/

Suggested TFT Android 2.1 ROMs

Suggested TFT Android 2.2 ROMs

[*]
      MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4
      TFT/OLED

[*]
      Sebastian404's de-softened ROM - r0.2 ALPHA
      TFT/OLED

[*]
      Japanese Jellyfish RLS2
      TFT/OLED

Download the ROM and check that md5 matches the md5 posted in the ROMs main thread.

Now follow all the way through
      stage 2 again
      but this time with the
      New Custom ROM
      file.

IMPORTANT
      : If you want to make a complete backup of your entire phone : use the clockwork option
      backup
      - this will put a FULL backup of your device onto the SDCard (in a directory called clockwork)

This time you
      MUST
      wipe your device in clockwork

From the clockwork menu choose: Clear Cache

From the clockwork menu choose: Factory Reset

If you do not clear the cache and factory reset, then your phone will not boot and you will have to pull the battery and go back into clockwork and do the wipe again.

Troubleshooting

If you have tried these steps and still have a BLUE TINT, then you can do a full Total Phone Transplant

See the Main Guide

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...and-other-roms/

Or same instructions here

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...vices-to-512mb/

Edited by Paul

Looking for a Sticky - will save a lot of new threads

Beautiful howto! You really managed to make a nice layout. Always helps when you are reading through tens of howto's in a streak.

One question though, don't you have to wipe before you flash? Otherwise you wipe out the settings from the nandroid backup. Better to wipe before flash and keep the procedure coherent.

Edited by zapher

Guest StevenHarperUK
Beautiful howto! You really managed to make a nice layout. Always helps when you are reading through tens of howto's in a streak.

One question though, don't you have to wipe before you flash? Otherwise you wipe out the settings from the nandroid backup. Better to wipe before flash and keep the procedure coherent.

Flashing doesn't make a nandroid backup - thats done in the separate backup option in clockwork.

People who have blue tints don't want anything backing up, if they choose to skip the first wipe then thats ok, maybe I should suggest a nandroid backup in the 3rd Stage.....

Guest StevenHarperUK
is fillyjonk rls4 (2.1) not TFT compatible?

It is, but I didn't want to turn this guide into a complete ROM list - that's what the main sticked thread is for (I did link it)

Guest jurrasstoil

well, i used fastboot, KKs modified CWM and FF RLS4, did a wipe+reset, and got a blue tint. (swiss TFT device)

flashing the boot.img from my backup of the original rom just resulted in a bootloop.

Edited by jurrasstoil

Guest StevenHarperUK
well, i used fastboot, KKs modified CWM and FF RLS4, did a wipe+reset, and got a blue tint. (swiss TFT device)

flashing the boot.img from my backup of the original rom just resulted in a bootloop.

Whats changed your original boot img?

Clockwork does not.

FF RSL4 - surely that doesnt have a boot.img in there???

Flashing doesn't make a nandroid backup - thats done in the separate backup option in clockwork.

People who have blue tints don't want anything backing up, if they choose to skip the first wipe then thats ok, maybe I should suggest a nandroid backup in the 3rd Stage.....

You're quite right. It was just a mere suggestion to avoid possible failures and unnecessary questions. The whole world of "rooting", "unlocking", "ROM", "flash", "nandroid", "clockwork", "boot", "recovery" etc is quite hard to grasp when you are first thrown into it. Avoiding questions like "when do I wipe" and "rooting sounds evil - do I need an exorcist?" could prove worth the effort.

Guest What_The_Fox_Hat
Stage 2 : Install Stock ROM

This sections assumes you have a UK ZTE Blade - acquire the correct STOCK TFT ROM for your country for this stage.

Download the
OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08 (OLED+TFT devices)
- Stock system image and boot image

Put the
OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08-update-stock-blade-unsigned.zip
file onto your desktop

Open a Terminal (or a command window if you are in Windows)

cd Desktop
md5sum OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08-update-stock-blade-unsigned.zip

Check that the outputted MD5 is: 97f1bb0f657ce21d8b7983a1fb12f7f4

Turn off your phone and take out the battery. Unplug the phone from the PC / charger.

Not sure that MD5 is correct - I got a different output and looking at the original thread there is a suggestion that Paul got the B08 and B05 hashes swapped around. Thought i was going mad re-downloaded twice to check.

Guest jurrasstoil
Whats changed your original boot img?

Clockwork does not.

FF RSL4 - surely that doesnt have a boot.img in there???

Right after i booted my phone for the first time ever: i unlocked it, i rooted it with universal androot (latest), installed KKs CWM, made a complete backup, installed FF RLS4 w/ CWM, made a wipe and boom, blue tint.

if i restore the boot.img from my FF RLS 4 backup that i made before i tried to restore my original boot.img it fixes the bootloop again.

Guest StevenHarperUK
You're quite right. It was just a mere suggestion to avoid possible failures and unnecessary questions. The whole world of "rooting", "unlocking", "ROM", "flash", "nandroid", "clockwork", "boot", "recovery" etc is quite hard to grasp when you are first thrown into it. Avoiding questions like "when do I wipe" and "rooting sounds evil - do I need an exorcist?" could prove worth the effort.

hmmm what do you think then : remove the wipe instructions from Stage 2?

or just make them into - If you cant boot - then do this?

hmmm what do you think then : remove the wipe instructions from Stage 2?

or just make them into - If you cant boot - then do this?

I would just move the instructions up before the whole flash-business. But now that I think about it... It's a minor issue.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I would just move the instructions up before the whole flash-business. But now that I think about it... It's a minor issue.

But if I tell them to wipe in the 2nd Stage; then their backup in the 3rd Stage wont have any user data.

Thats my reasoning.

Guest aleckxander

I'm sorry to tell that this is not theway to solve the problem. At least it's not solving mine.

Actually i tried it before a bazillion times, but since i feel quite stupid about all this situation i tried this all from scratch, following the guide step by step.

Well, blue "shadows" issue came gloriously back as soon as i reboot my fresh STOCK rom, so i still had to advance-flash again my original boot to solve it -.-

Honestly i don't have the "Aurora issue" (i mean the "when the device sleeps it seems to die!")

I tried almost everything. I miss only one try, doing everything from scratch using Ubuntu.

I tried yesterday, but i face a strange problem (I mean, since yesterday linux was a far away mith, so probably i'm stuck on a noobish problem):

I installed wubi, and downloaded all the needed stuff (fastboot, CWM, and so on), but as soon as i try to run:

sudo ./fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img

the terminal tells me

sudo: unable to execute ./fastboot-linux: No file or directory

Actually i am into the fastboot directory (home@ubuntu:~/Scrivania/fastboot$ - Scrivania means Desktop) and inside i am sure there is the "fastboot-linux" file.. so i stopped my try there.

(p.s. isn't it necessary in any way to install some drivers on linux? O.o i mean in your guide you put a link to download the windows drivers, but no word about linux, so i assume that since they are both linux they can communicate more easilly than with Windows7, that is the O.S: i use? Oh another side note, isn't that i'm using a 64 bit machine mean something to all these trobles? O.o)

Edited by aleckxander

Guest strat.minger

Nice guide, could have done with this last week would have saved the panic.

One thing though - isn't it OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode)? I know its minor but for a real noob it might be confusing.

Strat

Edited by strat.minger

Guest StevenHarperUK
I'm sorry to tell that this is not theway to solve the problem. At least it's not solving mine.

Actually i tried it before a bazillion times, but since i feel quite stupid about all this situation i tried this all from scratch, following the guide step by step.

Well, blue "shadows" issue came gloriously back as soon as i reboot my fresh STOCK rom, so i still had to advance-flash again my original boot to solve it -.-

Honestly i don't have the "Aurora issue" (i mean the "when the device sleeps it seems to die!")

I tried almost everything. I miss only one try, doing everything from scratch using Ubuntu.

I tried yesterday, but i face a strange problem (I mean, since yesterday linux was a far away mith, so probably i'm stuck on a noobish problem):

I installed wubi, and downloaded all the needed stuff (fastboot, CWM, and so on), but as soon as i try to run:

sudo ./fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img

the terminal tells me

sudo: unable to execute ./fastboot-linux: No file or directory

Actually i am into the fastboot directory (home@ubuntu:~/Scrivania/fastboot$ - Scrivania means Desktop) and inside i am sure there is the "fastboot-linux" file.. so i stopped my try there.

(p.s. isn't it necessary in any way to install some drivers on linux? O.o i mean in your guide you put a link to download the windows drivers, but no word about linux, so i assume that since they are both linux they can communicate more easilly than with Windows7, that is the O.S: i use? Oh another side note, isn't that i'm using a 64 bit machine mean something to all these trobles? O.o)

You should need no files to get the device viewable in Ubuntu

in the terminal try this

sudo su
cd /home/Scrivania/fastboot
chmod +x fastboot-linux
./fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img[/code]

When you say [b]so i still had to advance-flash again my original boot to solve it [/b] does this mean you have used clockwork to apply the boot.img - if so its exactly the same as applying a full stock ROM, they have the boot.img within them and the boot.img is flashed to boot during the install in clockwork - it should be the same - exactly the same

Guest aleckxander

well you are giving me some real valuable information.

But then.. tell me.. why if i flash any rom i got blue tint (obviously i mean TFT roms) and i have everytime to restore my original boot.img? where's the difference between flashing, and restoring? isn't it supposed that a custom rom should leave the original boot.ini untouched, or is it supposed to be overwritten everytime? if so what's whong with my device? Lol just a couple of questions :(

Anyway all this is driving me crazy!!

And makes me nervous because restoring the original boot.ini does not work when i install 2.2 roms..

Anyway thanks even for the linux tip, as soon as i have an hour by myself (organizing even a small party is so damn time consuming -.-) i'll try and tell you if i make it work.

Guest StevenHarperUK
well you are giving me some real valuable information.

But then.. tell me.. why if i flash any rom i got blue tint (obviously i mean TFT roms) and i have everytime to restore my original boot.img? where's the difference between flashing, and restoring? isn't it supposed that a custom rom should leave the original boot.ini untouched, or is it supposed to be overwritten everytime? if so what's whong with my device? Lol just a couple of questions :(

Anyway all this is driving me crazy!!

And makes me nervous because restoring the original boot.ini does not work when i install 2.2 roms..

Anyway thanks even for the linux tip, as soon as i have an hour by myself (organizing even a small party is so damn time consuming -.-) i'll try and tell you if i make it work.

The original boot.img will not work with some 2.2 ROMS - in fact they have their own boot.img in the ZIP these all support TFT and OLE

You could skip going back to a custom ROM and go straight to a 2.2 one that has a boot.ini in it.

If you look in the 2.2 ROM zip you should see a boot.img- if the ROM states that it is TFT compatible, then the boot.img is TFT compatrible too.

This means that just flashing the 2.2 ROM in clockwork - will actually install the boot.img at the same time as the new ROM.

This will fix the problem.

Not all ROMS have boot.img; that's why I suggest that users go back to stock - they ALL have a boot.img included.

Guest jurrasstoil

Fixed my problem. Flashed my original boot.img and made a wipe to fix the boot loop. no more bluetint now, but no more overclocking as well :( well, whatever, my cpu didn't make it past 672 anyways.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Fixed my problem. Flashed my original boot.img and made a wipe to fix the boot loop. no more bluetint now, but no more overclocking as well :( well, whatever, my cpu didn't make it past 672 anyways.

Good - I swapped to the 2.2 Japanese Jellyfish - Its very impressive - OC and the wifi seems much better

Overall v good

Guest aleckxander
Fixed my problem. Flashed my original boot.img and made a wipe to fix the boot loop. no more bluetint now, but no more overclocking as well ;) well, whatever, my cpu didn't make it past 672 anyways.

sorry i didn't explained you properly how to do.. but it's exactly what i meant before ^^''

hope that now that we have found the solution for 2.1 somebody heps for a version upgrade :(

Guest mikegeorge

Thanks for this Guide, I did the same thing with the super-root and ended up with the Blue tint and screen lock problem on my phone that was 4 hours old.

Followed the guide and all seems fine now.

(struggling to get the web and mms working on my asda sim - if anyone has any ideas ?)

Thanks again you saved me hours or work and panic.

Mike