Malata Zpad T2 Development - Should also work on Vega

Guest HexusOdy

Guest HexusOdy

Hi Guys,

My first post and I hope it can help. I work in the CE industry and I've had my head stuck into learning the tablet business for the past few days. I've been taking a close look at the Malata Zpad T2 as it has 1Gb RAM.

Anyway, while BYD seems to make the Vega the ROM's seem compatible. And there is a ton of work going on the Malata unit in the Far East seperate to the work being done here. Maybe you can use some of it to your advantage in Vega development. THey have VEGAn Tab running on the Malata for example.

Lots of English info here - http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?...tra=&page=1

Although alot of the links go to Chinese so get Google translate out!

Guest SilentMobius
Hi Guys,

My first post and I hope it can help. I work in the CE industry and I've had my head stuck into learning the tablet business for the past few days. I've been taking a close look at the Malata Zpad T2 as it has 1Gb RAM.

Anyway, while BYD seems to make the Vega the ROM's seem compatible. And there is a ton of work going on the Malata unit in the Far East seperate to the work being done here. Maybe you can use some of it to your advantage in Vega development. THey have VEGAn Tab running on the Malata for example.

Lots of English info here - http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?...tra=&page=1

Although alot of the links go to Chinese so get Google translate out!

Interesting, it seems that the "Big Ideas" rom has better/newer nvidia-libs but you need a site un/pw to get the pack from http://www.ez-pad.net/android-1228-1-2.html I wonder if Pauls performance pack is essencially the same thing (I hear the Gtab was much more busted than the vega performance wise out-of-the-box)

Zpad With Driver update:

Quadrant scores: 2393

GLBenchmark Egypt no FSAA: 2006 frames (17.8 fps)

GLBenchmark PRO no FSAA: 2059 (41.2 FPS)

My Vega:

Quadrant scores: 2289 (may be our filesystem that is draging that down)

GLBenchmark Egypt no FSAA: 2146 frames (19 FPS)

GLBenchmark PRO no FSAA: 2190 (43.8 FPS)

So far so good. Odd that it seem that Vega results are going into the Zpad category on GLBenchmark.com, I know they're not identical hardware wise as the Vega uses a different wi-fi chipset.

I'll bet we can get notable improvements when we have kernel source just by pulling the standard improvements that people like the Cyanogenmod team and Pershoot are makign to the default Kernel.

Also, can't _wait_ for (hopefully) ext4 and concurrent garbage collection from Gingerbread, that will be _massive_

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest HexusOdy
Interesting, it seems that the "Big Ideas" rom has better/newer nvidia-libs but you need a site un/pw to get the pack from http://www.ez-pad.net/android-1228-1-2.html I wonder if Pauls performance pack is essencially the same thing (I hear the Gtab was much more busted than the vega performance wise out-of-the-box)

Zpad With Driver update:

Quadrant scores: 2393

GLBenchmark Egypt no FSAA: 2006 frames (17.8 fps)

GLBenchmark PRO no FSAA: 2059 (41.2 FPS)

My Vega:

Quadrant scores: 2289 (may be our filesystem that is draging that down)

GLBenchmark Egypt no FSAA: 2146 frames (19 FPS)

GLBenchmark PRO no FSAA: 2190 (43.8 FPS)

So far so good. Odd that it seem that Vega results are going into the Zpad category on GLBenchmark.com, I know they're not identical hardware wise as the Vega uses a different wi-fi chipset.

I'll bet we can get notable improvements when we have kernel source just by pulling the standard improvements that people like the Cyanogenmod team and Pershoot are makign to the default Kernel.

Also, can't _wait_ for (hopefully) ext4 and concurrent garbage collection from Gingerbread, that will be _massive_

You can download the Big Ideas Rom from here. 3 Links at bottom (Primary and Mirrors) and its 80Mb.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n...le%2Ff11c0c1570

Guest danielj58

The system image boots on the vega and the performance difference is notable over stock, though the wifi obviously doesn't work, and at the moment I don't have a working linux box the fix it :( All of the apps in the app drawer are titled in mandarin despite changing the system language to english, but that's an easy enough fix.

It's worth noting that the nVidia system image also boots on the vega and is very good (but has the same wifi issue)

Looking good so far ;)

Guest simonta
at the moment I don't have a working linux box the fix it :(

I've been working on fixing the Wifi (btooth is broken too). Why would a linux box help? For compiling? I've replaced the drivers, init.rc and wpa_supplicant from a stock Vega but that didn't help. If you understand Wifi, what else do I need to do? If you need to replace files, because happily these builds are rooted and deodexed, Android Commander and Droid Explorer can be used to replace anything :-)

Any clues?

Guest danielj58
I've been working on fixing the Wifi (btooth is broken too). Why would a linux box help? For compiling? I've replaced the drivers, init.rc and wpa_supplicant from a stock Vega but that didn't help. If you understand Wifi, what else do I need to do? If you need to replace files, because happily these builds are rooted and deodexed, Android Commander and Droid Explorer can be used to replace anything :-)

Any clues?

Bluetooth switched on for me, I didn't check if it paired with anything?

I think something needs doing with the boot image and the system image with regards to the wifi driver, but I can't remember off the top of my head, and truth be told I'm not even sure if that's the problem! It might be that we need the kernel sources before we can fix it.

+1 :(

I am trying to rip it from a ROM, but no success so far...

Please do not wait up and please do try yourself, as I don't know if I will be able to do so...

Thanks for trying :-)

Guest rvdgeer
Thanks for trying :-)

Wow, it works!

Had to go through some troubles but I managed to extract the apk form the system.img and installed it on my tab...

Don't know if I can share the apk here, because of forum rules...

If not, please let me know and I'll remove the link...

zTab File manager

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest debs626
Wow, it works!

Had to go through some troubles but I managed to extract the apk form the system.img and installed it on my tab...

zTab File manager

Thanks once again rvdgeer :( downloaded and installed on my Vega with no probl, this app is brilliant

Greatly appreciate all your efforts

Guest rvdgeer
Thanks once again rvdgeer :( downloaded and installed on my Vega with no probl, this app is brilliant

Greatly appreciate all your efforts

No problem...

Layout is great...

Options aren't spectacular tho!

Guest debs626
No problem...

Layout is great...

Options aren't spectacular tho!

Agreed about the options but its a hell of a lot easier to navigate than ifilemanager ........ 100xbetter alternative :(

Guest simonta

rvdgeer. I'm probably just being a "juicy banjow", but where did you find the link for the Big Ideas ROM. Would really like to play with that. I did find a link to a Chinese site but it's behind the Great Firewall of China and is currently saying 5 hours to d'l.

Got anything better???

Kung hay fat choy

PS. I am a juicy banjow! I didn't say thanks for the extract and it does look sweet. Also great opening post from HexusOdy. I can't wait for the community to start producing the "lines" of custom ROMs like were used to on the phones.

Edited by simonta

Wow, it works!

zTab File manager

Can you confirm that the nvidia files within the ROM are identical to those pushed to the device in the performance pack? I'd wondered why the WLAN folder was deleted in the script - this might explain it.

Guest simonta

Girls and boys

Who knows their way around Wifi in Android? If we could collectively crack this problem it would open up a ton of new opportunties for custom ROMs with some of the faster kernels around and various fixes and tweaks. I've been playing with TnT 2.0 and the Vegan-Tab ROM both of which give a noticeable performance boost and some nice UI improvements. I've got them both running fine but can't get WiFi fixed.

I've put back the drivers, wpa_supplicant and init.rc from the stock Vega but still no worky. I must be missing something but know just enough to be dangerous with Linux Wifi support.

Who's up for a collaborative effort to get Wifi and bluetooth up and running so that we can give something back to the good folks lurking around here?

PS. I ran WinMerge on the lib folders - no significant changes.

Edited by simonta

Guest rvdgeer
rvdgeer. I'm probably just being a "juicy banjow", but where did you find the link for the Big Ideas ROM. Would really like to play with that. I did find a link to a Chinese site but it's behind the Great Firewall of China and is currently saying 5 hours to d'l.

Got anything better???

Kung hay fat choy

PS. I am a juicy banjow! I didn't say thanks for the extract and it does look sweet. Also great opening post from HexusOdy. I can't wait for the community to start producing the "lines" of custom ROMs like were used to on the phones.

I managed to download it from some Chinese filesharing site...

Will try to mirror it somewhere...

EDIT:

Here it is: Big_Ideas1222 ROM

Can you confirm that the nvidia files within the ROM are identical to those pushed to the device in the performance pack? I'd wondered why the WLAN folder was deleted in the script - this might explain it.

Sorry, not really into that...

Maybe someone can do this after I mirrored the ROM...

Edited by rvdgeer

Top man, thanks.

+1.

Any idea on tools for playing with the image files on Windows. I've tried AFPTool, but that just gives Check file... failed. when I do a -info on any of the img files.

Ta

Guest rvdgeer
+1.

Any idea on tools for playing with the image files on Windows. I've tried AFPTool, but that just gives Check file... failed. when I do a -info on any of the img files.

Ta

I used a precompiled unyaffs for windows.

All you need to do is extract it to the folder with the .img files and run it from command line:

unyaffs system.img

That's all...

EDIT:

Wow, I really start sounding like a developer...

Guess what?

I'm not :(

(Or am I...?)

Edited by rvdgeer

I used a precompiled unyaffs for windows.

All you need to do is extract it to the folder with the .img files and run it from command line:

unyaffs system.img

That's all...

EDIT:

Wow, I really start sounding like a developer...

Guess what?

I'm not :(

(Or am I...?)

Ya see.... always someone who knows the answer ;) Thanks.

Guest rvdgeer
Ya see.... always someone who knows the answer ;) Thanks.

Yeah, took me a while and a lot of effort, but I just had to find a way...

:(

And a forum is for sharing information, so...

;)