adbd cannot run as root in production builds

Guest hilleroed

Guest hilleroed

I have a Liquid A1 - not E; the original 256M version.

I have installed OS_Acer_1.100.39.EMEA.GEN1_A21E_A without any mods - entirely stock.

I have also installed Malez Recovery 0.6.1.

I can root the phone using any of the three methods from the recovery image and applications will then be able to gain root-privileges.

I can also get a root shell on the phone when booted to Android using adb from the PC.

I cannot, however, get adbd running on the phone to run as root, when the phone is booted to Android. If I issue "$ adb root" from the PC, I get the response "adbd cannot run as root in production builds".

Consequently, useful commands such as "$ adb remount", "$ adb push" or "$ adb uninstall" all fail with permission errors.

Have I overlooked a configuration detail somewhere? Do I need a modified boot.img as with the original (1.6) firmware?

TIA/hilleroed

Guest Borkata

To enable adb options you need modifications in boot.img so I recommend you flash a superboot (they are based on stock kernel and ramdisk and have modifications for auto root device).

I have a Liquid A1 - not E; the original 256M version.

I have installed OS_Acer_1.100.39.EMEA.GEN1_A21E_A without any mods - entirely stock.

I have also installed Malez Recovery 0.6.1.

I can root the phone using any of the three methods from the recovery image and applications will then be able to gain root-privileges.

I can also get a root shell on the phone when booted to Android using adb from the PC.

I cannot, however, get adbd running on the phone to run as root, when the phone is booted to Android. If I issue "$ adb root" from the PC, I get the response "adbd cannot run as root in production builds".

Consequently, useful commands such as "$ adb remount", "$ adb push" or "$ adb uninstall" all fail with permission errors.

Have I overlooked a configuration detail somewhere? Do I need a modified boot.img as with the original (1.6) firmware?

TIA/hilleroed

Root acces and adb running as root are different.

Boot image need to be modified to run adb as root.

You can try "adb shell remount" and validate root access on you phone to remount system in rw

Guest hilleroed

Thank you all for responding. I apologize for my tardiness in returning to this subject.

The phone is in fact quite rooted, and both /system/app/Superuser.apk and /system/bin/su are present and functioning.

Is there a ready-made boot.img, that will run adbd as root? I have picked up the notion that the old Superboot boot.img should no longer be used - is this correct?

TIA/hilleroed

Guest hilleroed

For the benefit of others experiencing the same issue and arriving at this subject via Google and Co., here are some on-the-phone equivalents to running adb command on the PC:

Always start by getting a root shell on the phone:

user@pc$ adb shell

$ su -

#

To remount /system read-write (adb remount):

# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

To uninstall an application (adb uninstall):

# rm /system/app/PackageYouNoLongerWant.apk

# pm uninstall package.you.no.longer.want

To put a file somewhere other than the SD-card (adb push):

Put the file on the SD-card as usual.

# mv /sdcard/file /where/you/want/to/put/the/file