Fullscreen notification patch for the vega

Guest Retrorious

Guest Retrorious

Hi guys/girls,

I made a patch for those who want a widescreen(fullscreen) notification dropdown. If someone is willing to try it to see if its perfect, I would really appreciate it :unsure:

Flash with Clockwork Recovery

Have fun and ofcourse happy new year!

Notification patch v1.1

-Fixed gap in dropdown

Notification patch v1

- Initial release

Download

Vega_Notification_Tray_Patch_By_Retrorious_v1.1.zip

Edited by Retrorious

Guest danielj58
Hi guys/girls,

I made a patch for those who want a widescreen(fullscreen) notification dropdown. If someone is willing to try it to see if its perfect, I would really appreciate it :unsure:

Flash with Clockwork Recovery

Have fun and ofcourse happy new year!

Are the notifications full screen too?

I'll give it a whirl in the morning and return feedback B)

Guest simonta

Nice one Retrorius. Can't validate the update (don't use cwm) but I applied the patch manually and I've now got full width notifications. Been looking for this one - thanks man.

Guest gdwhitehouse
Nice one Retrorius. Can't validate the update (don't use cwm) but I applied the patch manually and I've now got full width notifications. Been looking for this one - thanks man.

Simonta - as I don't use CWM either, how would I do this manually? Do I need to unzip on my pc and push it? I'm new to much of this (but learning), any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

G

Guest Retrorious
Are the notifications full screen too?

I'll give it a whirl in the morning and return feedback :unsure:

Do you mean the items in the notifications dropdown? Then yes they are. The whole dropdown and everything in it is full width

Guest Retrorious

Yeah no problem man, I'm glad its working nicely

Looks good but unfortunately it won't download :unsure:

EDIT: Downloads fine on my missus's laptop, but not on my vega, which is disappointing.

Edited by .stu

Guest Higgsy

anyone else getting this bug though? small gap at the top as if the notification window has shifted down about 8 pixels or so, and bottom is cut of by the same amount?

device.png

Edited by Higgsy

Guest simonta
Simonta - as I don't use CWM either, how would I do this manually? Do I need to unzip on my pc and push it? I'm new to much of this (but learning), any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

G

Edited to include "adb remount". When I did this originally, I already had system mounted rw. Sorry.

If you unzip the update, you'll see 2 or more folders. META-INF contains information about what's in the update and how the updater should apply it. The other folders contain the files that are to be updated on the machine. If you take a look at this patch, you'll see that there is a file called framework.jar in System\Framework. This update is intended to replace framework.jar in /system/framework on your Vega. The other thing to take a look at is updater_script in META-INF/com/google/android. This tells the updater what to do and won't make much sense unless you're a techy.

There are several ways to do this manually but there are two that I prefer. One for beginners, one for more advanced users. The first is easy but slower, the second needs a little skill but is quick and easy.

Method 1. Easy but slow.

1. Copy framework.jar to your sdcard

2. Using root explorer, check the permissions on the existing framework.jar in /system/framework. Click "Mount R/W" in the top left corner to put the file system into a mode where you are allowed to change files. Long press on framework.jar and select Permisssions. It should have the first column all ticked and then only user ticked in the second column. In other words, only the user can write, anyone can read.

3. Using root explorer, move the framework.jar from your sdcard into /system/bin then check that this new version has the same permissions as in step 2.

4. Reboot and enjoy Retorius's fix.

Method 2. Quick - and the one that "real" hackers use :unsure:

1. Copy framework.jar to the directory containing Paul's update pack (or the tools directory if you have the Android SDK).

2. Open a command prompt and navigate to this directory.

3. Ensure that the Vega has USB debugging enabled (Settings->Applications->Development)

4. Enter the following commands

adb remount

adb push framework.jar /system/framework

adb shell chmod 0644 /system/framework/framework.jar

5. Reboot and enjoy Retorius's fix.

I'm working on a Windows utility which will automate all of this. Should be ready next week.

Good luck...

Edited by simonta

Guest Higgsy
Higgsy, could that be anything to do with the small notification bar?

I thought that but to be fair the standard notification bar is alot taller than that, maybe someone else who uses the smaller notification bar can comment on whether theres it like it. I have reverted back to the original for now anyway, maybe the OP can chip in with their thoughts

edit: hmm then again when you look at it again maybe it could be the bar size, I never really concentrated that much on the standard bar.

Edited by Higgsy

Guest alphaola
If you unzip the update, you'll see 2 or more folders. META-INF contains information about what's in the update and how the updater should apply it. The other folders contain the files that are to be updated on the machine. If you take a look at this patch, you'll see that there is a file called framework.jar in System\Framework. This update is intended to replace framework.jar in /system/framework on your Vega. The other thing to take a look at is updater_script in META-INF/com/google/android. This tells the updater what to do and won't make much sense unless you're a techy.

There are several ways to do this manually but there are two that I prefer. One for beginners, one for more advanced users. The first is easy but slower, the second needs a little skill but is quick and easy.

Method 1. Easy but slow.

2. Using root explorer, check the permissions on the existing framework.jar in /system/framework. Click "Mount R/W" in the top left corner to put the file system into a mode where you are allowed to change files. Long press on framework.jar and select Permisssions. It should have the first column all ticked and then only user ticked in the second column. In other words, only the user can write, anyone can read.

3. Using root explorer, move the framework.jar from your sdcard into /system/bin then check that this new version has the same permissions as in step 2.

1. Copy framework.jar to the directory containing Paul's update pack (or the tools directory if you have the Android SDK).

3. Ensure that the Vega has USB debugging enabled (Settings->Applications->Development)

I'm working on a Windows utility which will automate all of this. Should be ready next week.

Good luck...

How long is it suppose to take to use root explorer to replace the framework.jar, mine has been doing that for almost 20mins and still saying please wait, paste in progress

edit. fixed. by flashing thru recovery

Edited by alphaola

Guest gdwhitehouse

Method 1. Easy but slow.

Good luck...

Hi simonta, me again, sorry!

I was trying your second way as it looked easier to me (!) - sadly it reports an error with the push "failed to copy 'framework.jar' to '/system/framework/framework.jar': Read-only file system".

I guess there is something else I need to run first similar to "adb shell chmod 0644 /system/framework/framework.jar", but not sure what to replace the 0644 with exactly - 0777 or 0755 or something? - I'm not a Unix guy as you may have guessed...

Cheers again

G

Guest gdwhitehouse

Strangely I have also noticed that since disconnecting my USB lead the USB and debugging icons have stayed in the notification bar - been there about 15mins since I pulled the lead...

Guest tailzer

i'm getting the same, if I try to push via adb then it fails saying the file system is read only. :unsure:

also tried opening the zip via clockwork but it just reboots to the recovery screen and hangs, hmm more investigation needed.

btw I also had the same problem downloading the file on the Vega but cured it by long pres on link and save link as option.

Guest thedicemaster
Hi simonta, me again, sorry!

I was trying your second way as it looked easier to me (!) - sadly it reports an error with the push "failed to copy 'framework.jar' to '/system/framework/framework.jar': Read-only file system".

I guess there is something else I need to run first similar to "adb shell chmod 0644 /system/framework/framework.jar", but not sure what to replace the 0644 with exactly - 0777 or 0755 or something? - I'm not a Unix guy as you may have guessed...

Cheers again

G

adb remount

yes it's as simple as that, it's a "shortcut" for

adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

and what it does is make your system folder writable.

EDIT: yipes, code-boxes are a bit excessively big on this forum, they didn't expect people to share a single line of code?

Edited by thedicemaster

Guest danielj58
Do you mean the items in the notifications dropdown? Then yes they are. The whole dropdown and everything in it is full width

Superb, not had chance to apply it yet, been busy most of the day.

Thank you very much :-D

Guest Retrorious
anyone else getting this bug though? small gap at the top as if the notification window has shifted down about 8 pixels or so, and bottom is cut of by the same amount?

device.png

Whoops.. :unsure: Yeah I missed that, and its not related to the small notification bar. I placed a fix in the first post

Guest Higgsy
Whoops.. :unsure: Yeah I missed that, and its not related to the small notification bar. I placed a fix in the first post

spot on mate, out. of interest what caused it.

Guest gdwhitehouse

Hi, thanks for the help - remount worked and I pushed the 1.1 file, chmoded and rebooted - no change :-(

Hmmm

G

Guest Retrorious
spot on mate, out. of interest what caused it.

A misplaced offset. Basically the dropdown "notification items area" started at 10 pixels beneath the statusbar, which created the gap of 10 pixels.

And for those who have trouble installing the patch:

These steps should do it. Without a computer.

- Make sure you have access to the new framework.jar. Put it on your sdcard or something

- Install Root explorer if you haven't already

- Open Root explorer and navigate to /system/framework/

- Press the mount R/W button. The button should change to mount r/o

- In there copy the framework.jar to somewhere on your sdcard, so you have a backup

- Navigate to the where you placed the new framework.jar

- Copy it over to /system/framework/ and override the old one, this should take less then a minute, only a few seconds I think

- Set permissions as simonta said

- Press the mount r/o button ( not really necessary but just to be safe )

- Reboot

- Enjoy

Edited by Retrorious