Seven inch's of pure pleasure!

Guest BooCee

Hello All,

Just a couple of questions.

1.) Has anyone found a Home Launcher that works with a seven inch screen?

Currently 'ADW' and 'Launcher Pro' only display on the screen with huge spaces between the ICONS.

The original Launcher displays the ICONS on the screen correctly, but that dammed side launcher with the Email, Book, Media and Global is bugging me and ... I WANT IT GONE!

I have 'no' concept of rooting, nor why it might be necessary? ... But if the only way to rid myself of that bar is to 'root' the phone then I'll travel the path and read up-on the subject.

2.) Co-Pilot can't find plan a trip without a real strong GPS signal. Google MAPS on the other hand, works fine from the same position? ... And plans a route? ... Anyone else had any problems with Co-Pilot software?

3.) Anyone know how to disable the 'PC Tools' synchronisation programme from running?

It's geared up for Outlook and I don't use that eMail Programme! - My Backup and contacts are synced by Google and the programme that insists in running when I plug the device in to charge it ... Is annoying, to put it mildly?

I can't seem to find just where the install programme is kept? ... And so delete the dammed thing!

Perhaps this is one of those reasons/things I need to 'root' it? ... Dunno'

Many thanks People ...

Guest jda180
Hello All,

Just a couple of questions.

1.) Has anyone found a Home Launcher that works with a seven inch screen?

Currently 'ADW' and 'Launcher Pro' only display on the screen with huge spaces between the ICONS.

snip....

Have you found the settings for LauncherPRO? Allows you to set the size of grid, both horizontal and vertical - mine now has eight icons across and works well.

2.) Co-Pilot can't find plan a trip without a real strong GPS signal. Google MAPS on the other hand, works fine from the same position? ... And plans a route? ... Anyone else had any problems with Co-Pilot software?

Google maps directions seemed to work fine - so no need to pay £29 for full co-pilot. But my car as built in sat nav, so not something that I'll really use on the N700.

3.) Anyone know how to disable the 'PC Tools' synchronisation programme from running?

snip...

Standard Windows setting to a "CD-ROM" - switch off "autoplay" on the properties for the drive, or right click the icon on the task bar and toggle off autoplay.

Perhaps this is one of those reasons/things I need to 'root' it? ... Dunno'

See some of the guides - they explain need for root very well.

Enjoy your tab, and Happy New Year!

I was pointed as some helpful links today....

Useful guides for new users

Guest BooCee
Have you found the settings for Launcher-PRO? Allows you to set the size of grid, both horizontal and vertical - mine now has eight icons across and works well.

None never saw that! ... Will dig deeper -- thanks for the tip...

Google maps directions seemed to work fine - so no need to pay £29 for full co-pilot. But my car as built in sat nav, so not something that I'll really use on the N700.

I'm a courier and the TAB will be my mobile phone AND sat nav ... But I've got to say I'm not impressed with the Maps Co-Pilot as been supplied with? ... Google Maps is superior! ... I'm looking into downloading TILES for the WILTSHIRE area.

Standard Windows setting to a "CD-ROM" - switch off "auto-play" on the properties for the drive, or right click the icon on the task bar and toggle off auto-play.

See some of the guides - they explain need for root very well.

Right click on the icon in the tray ... Click Auto-play off ... simple and brilliant ... Thanks for the pointer.

Enjoy your tab, and Happy New Year!

I was pointed as some helpful links today....

Useful guides for new users

Thanks for the links and your responses greatly appreciated.

================================

Other things ...

I had no idea this device was called so many names?

Here is a list of those I've found so far ...

Camangi FM600

Commtiva N700

Spice Mi700

ViewSonic ViewPad 7

Sylvania 7 Inch Android Tablet

Commtiva N700

Kinpad I600

Malata T2

Olive Pad VT100

WOW - Anyway ....

ROOTING this ... Is a pain.

I've been looking at my options and have realised that to do anything first I have to back it up and to do that I have to fiddle and root it! ... Shakes nervously at that prospect ...

BUT I've done it? ... Or at least at least I think I have?

Reading everything on the subject I've downloaded.

SuperOneClickv1.5.5-ShortFuse from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682.

BTW you need to be a member to download it, apparently I joined in 2008 when I was using a Windows Phone? Go figure! Anyhow I unzipped the file in C:\{Vault\SuperOneClickv1.5.5-ShortFuse.

When I first plugged in the TAB it created a directory C:\Program Files\Switcher and a new set off files were installed. Inside was another folder called C:\Program Files\Switcher\FM6F_4025 and here I found the file adb.exe that I moved to C:\{Vault\SuperOneClickv1.5.5-ShortFuse replacing the one located there ... It appears that this needs replacing? At least that from what I've read.

The next phase in ROOTING really unnerved me! ... I've read that in the rooting process you have to unplug it several times if it fails? ... And it did 'a lot!' ... But Nowhere did it say you have to engage! USB Debugging? ... When I enabled that. The SuperOneClick programme finally said the TAB was 'ROOTED' ...

So finally after eight hours of intense study I've got a ROOTED TAB ... Now all I have to do is back it up and play, but from the tip 'jda180' told me regarding the launcher settings and un-clicking the auto-play option ... I don't know what're I really need to use a new ROM image? -- After all the TAB will accept any SIM and I suppose the next update [2.3] will automatically be available from Google? ..

So I'll wait and see what happens ...

Many thanks for reading.

Guest fester61

I use co-pilot on both the N700 and a Dell Streak and have found no issues with the maps. GPS reception is required for accurate use of google maps or 3G connection which costs you.

£29 for co-pilot that includes updates to maps is easily out priced by having to continually download google maps. There are very few unlimited data plans nowdays.