proximity sensor not working, screen won't come back on

Guest Smiff2

Guest Smiff2

afaik this isn't a common problem?

i noticed soon after receiving my San Francisco that my screen was turning off when making or receiving calls, and staying off, like it had hung, but the line remained connected. i had to take the battery out to end calls. pretty poor! this also wasted some credit.

sometimes its ok when the other person hangs up the screen may come back - and sometimes the screen just stays on and that's ok too.

I download z-device tester app, and this (i think) shows my proxo sensor isn't working. it usually reads null, but sometimes 4 or 5 cm. can't see any pattern or connection to what's in front of the sensor.

my light sensor works ok i think.

don't really want to return the phone as its OLED and i don't want the hassle either. everything else is good :unsure:

so I have two questions really:

1) can I disable the screen-off-during-voice-calls feature? i'd be happy to disable it if possible because i don't make long voice calls anyway.

2) is the proximity sensor used for anything else i could care about?

i'm running the Finnish ROM RLS4.

thanks.

Edited by Smiff2

Guest Mit321
afaik this isn't a common problem?

i noticed soon after receiving my San Francisco that my screen was turning off when making or receiving calls, and staying off, like it had hung, but the line remained connected. i had to take the battery out to end calls. pretty poor! this also wasted some credit.

sometimes its ok when the other person hangs up the screen may come back - and sometimes the screen just stays on and that's ok too.

I download z-device tester app, and this (i think) shows my proxo sensor isn't working. it usually reads null, but sometimes 4 or 5 cm. can't see any pattern or connection to what's in front of the sensor.

my light sensor works ok i think.

don't really want to return the phone as its OLED and i don't want the hassle either. everything else is good :unsure:

so I have two questions really:

1) can I disable the screen-off-during-voice-calls feature? i'd be happy to disable it if possible because i don't make long voice calls anyway.

2) is the proximity sensor used for anything else i could care about?

i'm running the Finnish ROM RLS4.

thanks.

Its not your phone its the ROM.

I isntalled this on my freinds white TFT SF and noticed the proximty sensor didn't work, i've mentioned it in the main thread so hopefully it will get fixed!

Sensor works again if you flash to a different ROM

Edited by Mit321

Guest Nikban1

Hi

Just had to take my daughters back yesterday which she's had since boxingday to swap as it had the same problem tried it with 2 screen savers as well although i know they are ok as my son and wife have one each as well. It was a white tft so dint matter about the screen. It did the same fault at first as yours then started just staying on and not switching off with sensor covered.

Guest Smiff2

My phone is oled. I have another which is tft also running Finnish rls4 and proxy sense is fine on that one. Interesting. Will try another rom tomorrow if I can

But I think its a hardware prob as person above says :/

Edited by Smiff2

Guest rose840
My phone is oled. I have another which is tft also running Finnish rls4 and proxy sense is fine on that one. Interesting. Will try another rom tomorrow if I can

Same problem here when using Froyo roms, so dont think this is a HW issue

(white TFT)

Edited by rose840

Guest dubatc

I have this problem and so does a friend-one phone OLED and the other TFT, both running hungarian Hedgehog v2. Android sensor app does show the proximity sensor as unreliable. I am using the 'shake awake' app as a workaround but would appreciate any fixxes anyone can come up with.

Guest Mit321

Well when we flashed back from the Finnish rls4 to the stock rom and then to a 2.2 ROM in both cases the proximty sensor was fine and still is now so I'm pretty sure it was to do with the ROM/s.

Guest Maringer
Well when we flashed back from the Finnish rls4 to the stock rom and then to a 2.2 ROM in both cases the proximty sensor was fine and still is now so I'm pretty sure it was to do with the ROM/s.

Bought my girlfriend a White TFT SF for Christmas and her phone is suffering from the proximity sensor problem using FF RLS4. My Grey OLED SF has no such problems - hopefully it is just a ROM problem as you mention!

I've posted in kalt kaffe's FF thread and perhaps he will be able to provide some assistance? Otherwise, looks as though I'll have to try another ROM on her phone. Was hoping to wait until a stable Froyo ROM was available before making another change.

Guest Maringer

In the Finnish Fillyjonk thread a helpful soul recommended trying to recalibrate the proximity sensor to try and resolve the problem. This is accessible using a secret dialler code and I'm pleased to say that it worked with my girlfriend's White TFT SF and the proximity sensor is now working correctly. You'll find the post in question on the following page:

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/324...ation/page/540/

It worked for me so hopefully will work for others, too!

Guest Smiff2
In the Finnish Fillyjonk thread a helpful soul recommended trying to recalibrate the proximity sensor to try and resolve the problem. This is accessible using a secret dialler code and I'm pleased to say that it worked with my girlfriend's White TFT SF and the proximity sensor is now working correctly. You'll find the post in question on the following page:

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/324...ation/page/540/

It worked for me so hopefully will work for others, too!

ah i missed the calibrate option, will try thanks.

to be clear, i don't have this problem on a white/TFT phone and do have it on a grey/OLED both running Finnish RLS4. so it doesn't appear to be a ROM problem per-se.

YES, pressing the calib button in sensors (dial *983*0#) fixed my phone! it works! yay. thank everyone. this should go in some FAQ or something for this phone, must be lots of people sending theirs back 'cos of issues like this.

Edited by Smiff2

• 2 months later...
YES, pressing the calib button in sensors (dial *983*0#) fixed my phone! it works! yay. thank everyone. this should go in some FAQ or something for this phone, must be lots of people sending theirs back 'cos of issues like this.

*cough* This only works with ZTE dialler.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nokiawolfrus

just received my osf and for this problem.got ss4 rom tried different Tom's but no use.

service codes and calibration didn't help too,says fail then i try to launch it.

is there any way to fix that?or MB just somehow turn off proximity sensor