[ROM][Froyo] Volcano mod 0.3 [2011-01-04] [OLED+TFT]

Guest isambard

Guest isambard

OK. This is what I use on my own Blade and I thought I'd make it available to others if they are interested.

It is basically a re-package of Sebastian's 0.2 ROM and pulling in some fixes from Paul's ROM and enabling HW acceleration.

Features:

volcano 0.3

url removed for download pending further testing.

d219730aaecdc8248040431010dedabe volcano3.zip

- added Google Talk back

- removed additional apps

- stagefright off by default

- added files for tethering (USB should work, but not tested. the wifi tethering menu is there, but i didn't have time to make all changes needed to make this work yet, this will be for the next version)

- updated Phone.apk for MDCFan's changes. should solve the network unlock, but i still recommend to unlock before flashing.

notes:

i added a minimal cache file, so now it should no longer be necessary to wipe cache before installing. however, if for some reason your phone is very different and the first boot fails, you can try wiping the cache before attempting the first boot again.

system is now squeezed down to 117mb, but i left the system partition at 128mb to give more 'headroom'.

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 208.3M 12.0K 208.3M 0% /dev
/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M 117.1M 10.9M 91% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 287.6M 31.9M 255.7M 11% /data[/codebox]

The following apps are now in system by default (in order from largest to smallest):

<SNIP> for rest of details on this release, see here:

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/328...-tft/page/100/#

[i]version 0.2[/i]

- Repartition to increase data space from 207mb to 287mb

[i]version 0.1[/i]

- Froyo 2.2

- Hardware acceleration on

- VM heap size set to 32m

- 900+ quadrant score 'out of the box'

[b]Installation instructions:[/b]

0. Make a backup of your existing phone.

1. Unpack the zip file into a folder called 'image' on your sdcard. it is best to use an sdcard reader and verify the image with md5 to avoid problems.

2. Turn off the phone

3. Hold down the volume up key and at the same time press the power button

4. When the updating process starts, you can release the keys

5. The phone will reboot automatically when the update is complete

6. Rename the /image folder on your sdcard. The reason for this is that the TPT install does not ask before flashing, so if you leave the files on there and accidentally press power and volume up at the same time, it will re-flash your phone again!

[b]Bugs/features:[/b]

- YOU MUST NETWORK UNLOCK YOUR PHONE BEFORE INSTALLING

- This will overwrite your recovery partition with Clockwork Mod (seb's version). If you don't want it, then delete the 'recovery.img' from the image folder.

- I've removed a lot of apps even from Sebastian's quite clean ROM, if you want them, you'll have to re-install. Most notably, gmail and email apps are gone.

http://rapidshare.com/files/440403234/volcano2.zip

This is what the update looks like when you run it:

Thanks to Seb, Paul Tom G, MDCFan and others who provided the base for this ROM and others who helped me learn enough about Android to put this together.

Edited by isambard

Guest Phoenix Silver

some pictures would be great i think

"Hold down the home key and the volume up key and at the same time press the power button"

what is this mode ?

first time i see this

Guest PeaNut_HU

"Hold down the home key and the volume up key and at the same time press the power button"

what is this mode ?

first time i see this

Based on the key combination, it must be some spinoff based on the update method used in the Hungarian Blade fix that fixes the RAM problem (256MB->512MB fix).

Switch on your phone by holding Menu + volume up + power (hold all three together)

Also not to be rude or anything, but i would be cautious to try a rom from a user who is registered for half a month with only 39 posts B) :unsure:

Edited by PeaNut_HU

Guest jt_mcg

what is this mode ?

first time i see this

It's the hungarian 512MB hack!

Isambard,

Very interesting what you've done! I applied this to try and fix the wifi sleep policy and it didn't work, but I installed a nandroid of Seb's ROM and not a clean install. Do you think that was the problem in my attempt?

I was going to try it again on my 512MB OLED OUK Blade when Sebastion uploads an uncorrupted version of r0.3 to see if a clean install makes the difference. I may give your package a shot if I get impatient!

What specifically are the fixes from Paul's ROM and did you tweak the framework-res.apk for the wifi tethering?

Thanks

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest Anton2k

"900+ quadrant score 'out of the box'"

Is this overclocked? if so whats the mhz.... Also i have paul's latest rom installed can i just download that image, put it in the image folder hold in the buttons ect ect and it will re flash to a new rom am i understanding this correct?

Guest PeaNut_HU
"900+ quadrant score 'out of the box'"

Is this overclocked? if so whats the mhz.... Also i have paul's latest rom installed can i just download that image, put it in the image folder hold in the buttons ect ect and it will re flash to a new rom am i understanding this correct?

Almost any 2.2 ROM can produce 900+ quadrant score on stock speed with stagefright and debug.sf.hw=1 enabled.

So i don't think there's any overclock in this rom by default.

Guest isambard
Cool. Quick question though, what's in the Wifi Fix?

i know wifi has been a bit of a problem for many. i updated the wpa_supplicant. on my phone, i also use static IP so far it works good, but i can't guarantee this is a final fix as i've not been running it long enough to know yet.

Very interesting what you've done! I applied this to try and fix the wifi sleep policy and it didn't work, but I installed a nandroid of Seb's ROM and not a clean install. Do you think that was the problem in my attempt?

difficult to say with all the variations. if it doesn't work for you, i guess it doesn't work. i found that static IP did help a lot on stability.

it's not overclocked. you can install it over your existing ROM but you should back up first in case you want to revert.

Guest PeaNut_HU
hungarian was menu + up + power

not home + up + power

is this written in the image ?

If you look at the youtube video, you'll see its the same process... also the image contains the same named files as the hungarian memory fix rom, so its not the update.zip type to be used with clockwork, but the special recovery mode used to flash the phone.

Guest isambard
Replace Phone.apk with this one and unlock will not be needed.

Thanks. I have my own modified version of the phone apk and am working on an app to directly write to the NV parts of the chipset, but I want to keep as much 'unofficial'/experimental things out of this as possible (at least if there is already a good alternative work-around).

Guest Phoenix Silver
If you look at the youtube video, you'll see its the same process... also the image contains the same named files as the hungarian memory fix rom, so its not the update.zip type to be used with clockwork, but the special recovery mode used to flash the phone.

i'm downloading the hugarian fix to see what is in the file

would be very cool to produce our own files of our roms as backups

(would be an excellent life assurance)

Guest jt_mcg
i'm downloading the hugarian fix to see what is in the file

would be very cool to produce our own files of our roms as backups

(would be an excellent life assurance)

This could make things very interesting, imagine even implementing this into a kitchen where you select recovery, one of the custom roms (with their own kitchen options), alter partition sizes, theme it and just put it in /image press three buttons and presto!

Isambard, can we get a checksum?

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest isambard
This could make things very interesting, imagine even implementing this into a kitchen where you select recovery, one of the custom roms (with their own kitchen options), alter partition sizes, theme it and just put it in /image press three buttons and presto!

yes. i prefer this to clockwork. it's much faster and the end user can mix and match easily.

also, if you have a new phone, instead of having to install adb to flash clockwork to begin with, you can simply unpack a zip file and install clockwork and a custom rom in one go - saving a lot of time and rebooting!

Edited by isambard

Guest PeaNut_HU

Hi

I have had my phone for a month now (purchased from Orange shop) but my knowledge of smart phones (android) is VERY limited. Something I have noticed (and worries me) is that when I've used the AVG antivirus scanner, it has reported my phone as being "rooted". Does this mean that it has already been tampered with?

:unsure:

Well, it would be nice to have a ROM bakery like in Paul's MoDaCo ROMs with the new ROM structure and update method indeed.

Guest jt_mcg
yes. i prefer this to clockwork. it's much faster and the end user can mix and match easily.

also, if you have a new phone, instead of having to install adb to flash clockwork to begin with, you can simply unpack a zip file and install clockwork and a custom rom in one go - saving a lot of time and rebooting!

Also far fewer post of people blue tinting their tft's, having problems with fastboot etc etc

Guest Phoenix Silver

there seems to have the classics .imgs files and firmware files (.mbn)

isambard if i make a file with my img files and the mbn files of hungarian fixe is this oki ?

Guest isambard
there seems to have the classics .imgs files and firmware files (.mbn)

isambard if i make a file with my img files and the mbn files of hungarian fixe is this oki ?

yeah. i guess theoretically, you might be able to get rid of some of the 'hungarian' files too in the same way that you can miss out recovery.img etc. but i haven't tested this yet. amss.mbn would be a good one to be able to miss out as it's pretty big.

Guest Phoenix Silver

should be great if someone would make a tutorial

which .img files should be in (i think all the files in /clockmod/backup/rom_dir/ ?)

which .mbn files should be in

Guest isambard
should be great if someone would make a tutorial

which .img files should be in (i think all the files in /clockmod/backup/rom_dir/ ?)

which .mbn files should be in

i think if you want to be conservative, you can use exactly the files i have in the zip, but optionally remove or replace the following:

recovery.img

boot.img

system.img

the update should also allow for others, but i haven't tested these yet e.g. cache, userdata etc.

Guest isambard

0.2 update:

- now increased user data partition size to 287mb! :unsure:

Afterwards, a df -h should look something like this:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 208.3M 12.0K 208.3M 0% /dev
/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M 123.8M 4.2M 97% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 287.6M 0M 287.6M 100% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock7 1.5M 1.1M 380.0K 75% /persist
tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals
tmpfs 208.3M 0 208.3M 0% /mnt/asec
/dev/block/mtdblock4 41.3M 1.3M 40.0M 3% /cache
/dev/block/vold/179:1
1.8G 1.6G 259.4M 86% /mnt/sdcard
/dev/block/vold/179:1
1.8G 1.6G 259.4M 86% /mnt/secure/asec
[/codebox]

Edited by isambard

Guest sumdumguy

Hi first time flasher here, used your 0.1 version.

It was very easy to do and everything seems to be running well so far. I was worried about getting the dreaded blue tint on my TFT model so chose your easy install method and the colors seem fine :unsure:

thx again

Guest isambard
Can we have a md5sum of the "total phone transplant" ROM please

c9de5fe702a2874dfeaf6235a5598b7b  volcano2.zip
f299189d0474b3dd8818d3e051074e98 volcano.zip[/codebox]