[ROM][Froyo] Volcano mod 0.3 [2011-01-04] [OLED+TFT]

Guest isambard

Guest StevenHarperUK
All I did was remove some of the extra apps I added to my rom. really puzzling.

Start again? - Maybe something went wrong - file transfer - zip still had a file handle open when you started copying - who knows.

Guest Simon O
Start again? - Maybe something went wrong - file transfer - zip still had a file handle open when you started copying - who knows.

Very odd... just used the Hungarian resize patch to restore my partitions back to the original size and flashed my rom again (the resized version). And it's booting fine. :unsure:

Edited by flibblesan

Guest isambard
Very odd... just used the Hungarian resize patch to restore my partitions back to the original size and flashed my rom again (the resized version). And it's booting fine. :unsure:

did you mix a kernel (in boot.img) with system.img? i'm not sure which kernel versions are being used and how compatible they are between ROMs.

Guest isambard

a tip for those who flashed using the TPT method. after flashing, it is a good idea to rename the folder on the sdcard to something like ximage.

this is because when you get so used to doing the 3-fingered flash, when you come to do a clockwork backup, you might forget and accidentally re-flash your phone again! :unsure:

Guest Simon O
did you mix a kernel (in boot.img) with system.img? i'm not sure which kernel versions are being used and how compatible they are between ROMs.

The first time I tried the vocano image I replaced boot.img with the image from my Nandroid backup (same size). This didn't boot so then I used your vocano image folder rebooted holding down the up key and let the phone resize and write the images. Then I booted into clockwork and flashed my rom. When rebooting the phone sticks on the android logo and isn't detected by my computer at all.

I then downloaded the Hungarian 256-512mb fix and copied the image folder to my SD and updated my phone like before. Then I flastbooted clockwork and booted into recovery, flashed my rom and rebooted. No problems.

Really can't figure out why it failed..

Guest isambard
The first time I tried the vocano image I replaced boot.img with the image from my Nandroid backup (same size). This didn't boot so then I used your vocano image folder rebooted holding down the up key and let the phone resize and write the images. Then I booted into clockwork and flashed my rom. When rebooting the phone sticks on the android logo and isn't detected by my computer at all.

I then downloaded the Hungarian 256-512mb fix and copied the image folder to my SD and updated my phone like before. Then I flastbooted clockwork and booted into recovery, flashed my rom and rebooted. No problems.

Really can't figure out why it failed..

did you clear your cache? you'll get the green android sticking if you don't clear cache in some cases. probably would be a good idea to put a dummy 'blank' cache.img to wipe the cache partition on future images to avoid this problem.

Edited by isambard

Guest Simon O
did you clear your cache? you'll get the green android sticking if you don't clear cache in some cases.

Yes I always wipe data/cache before installing a rom. the rom worked when I used the hungarian patch, but not with your patch.

Guest isambard

just a note to anyone beta testing the 0.3b. in my zeal to add busybox links, i appear to have accidentally over-written su and sulogin. so you will need to replace these two commands in /system/bin/ with the original from the 0.2 release.

Guest oh!dougal
Yes I always wipe data/cache before installing a rom. the rom worked when I used the hungarian patch, but not with your patch.

I expect your rom still didn't fit the small partition. /system is pretty tight - even Gmail and Email had to be dumped to get Seb's Lite 2.2 in there.

I think for more general experimentation, a TPT loader with a VERY SLIGHTLY altered partitioning would be a good idea.

Not to demonstrate the advantage of re-partitioning, but just that it works.

I think volcano is a bit aggressive. Froyo on an early leaked kernel + tweaks + the install + partitioning to demo the max /data achievable... Its cutting too many edges at the same time!

With something available that was a little more mainstream, people could investigate just the loader, (try the Hungarian update), then the loader plus altered (but only slightly altered) partitions, and THEN go optimising ...

Anyone fancy making up Seb's latest de-orangated 2.1 lite with some conservative re-partitioning? (I'm off to bed with cricket on the radio ...)

And if someone is looking for a nice PR activity for the TPT technique, they might make up an Orange UK re-virginator, from the stock rom and stock recovery ... IMHO that would be a nice "technology demonstrator".

Although, any nice stable rom, with standard partitioning and pre-installed Clockwork, as a TPT restore option would encourage those who wanted some means to get back to normality!

I had hoped that by now someone would have knocked up some scripts to take the output from Seb's romdump, and auto-build a TPT restore image. (And then the script could be used on any release of any "standard Blade" software {dumped in the same way} to make a re-virginating TPT image for that release ...)

Guest Simon O
I expect your rom still didn't fit the small partition. /system is pretty tight - even Gmail and Email had to be dumped to get Seb's Lite 2.2 in there.

I think for more general experimentation, a TPT loader with a VERY SLIGHTLY altered partitioning would be a good idea.

I think you are right. Even with my trimmed down rom I had 3.8MB free space on /system. I guess Android has a minimum amount of free space on system it requires or it won't boot. I've just re-partitioned using the update Tom_G made which gives me 143.5MB system and 272MB data and even after installing my full rom I have 8.2MB free on system. And it boots fine.

So I would say that the best sizes for people to use would be the update from Tom_G which will be compatible with all custom roms.

thanks for the heads up!

Edited by flibblesan

Guest isambard

glad you sorted it. though i have to say, is there anything in the system that could be in data instead?

my philosophy was that we can get fairly regular updates which blast the system partition along with any settings stored there. so any apps you can keep in data can be kept separate, maintained by you (instead of a ROM creator picking your apps) and stored with your data - as well as having smaller new ROM download sizes.

of course, you can restore settings with titanium backup, but i found that this is not always the most reliable method.

Guest Simon O
glad you sorted it. though i have to say, is there anything in the system that could be in data instead?

my philosophy was that we can get fairly regular updates which blast the system partition along with any settings stored there. so any apps you can keep in data can be kept separate, maintained by you (instead of a ROM creator picking your apps) and stored with your data - as well as having smaller new ROM download sizes.

of course, you can restore settings with titanium backup, but i found that this is not always the most reliable method.

How do you suggest the userdata.img is created? If you install applications to the data partition and make an image of that then anybody who writes this image to the phone will have access to your google account. If you wipe your data from the partition then this will also remove the apps installed..

Guest Rotmann

When I saw this I said OH NOoo, not another Froyo ROM but I must say this is very exciting! :unsure: Keep up the good work, i'm impressed by this! If it is reliable and fool proof it may be the new standard of flashing ROMs to our blades. Thanks for the efforts!

Guest isambard
How do you suggest the userdata.img is created? If you install applications to the data partition and make an image of that then anybody who writes this image to the phone will have access to your google account. If you wipe your data from the partition then this will also remove the apps installed..

i was thinking that the enduser maintain his own userdata.img. so that he chooses what apps to have etc.

most basic way would be that after he installs his rom of choice, the user can install all the apps that he wants. he could then make a clockworkmod backup and save the 'data.img' produced from that for the flashing.

so in short, the answer is that userdata.img is not distributed. i guess you could distribute a starter data.img of suggested apps for those who have new phones, but i see this as a separate process from the choice of a specific choice of kernel, android build etc. in the same way that people choose themes after installing a ROM, they can choose what app packs to install - or most likely maintain their own.

Just holding the volume up key & turning it on should work, without any other buttons.

I've just found out the bad way .... I wanted to get into clockwork to do a backup of my current rom before installing this ... pressed volume up & power on (instead of volume down & power on) ... and reflashed the hungarian 512mb fix which was still on my sdcard, lost everything & need to start again...

so it's just a 2 finger grip that is required, but make sure you remove the image from your sdcard when you're done, don't be an idiot like me & reflash it again by accident.

Edited by wbaw

Google Talk appears to be missing, at least the icon for it is & it can't be downloaded from the market.

Google Maps, Voice Search & Youtube could be removed from the rom, they could be downloaded from the market.

I'm struggling to install any market apps, it says download unsuccessful & I'm getting errors saying google talk authentication failed ... any ideas?

Guest sumdumguy
Google Talk appears to be missing, at least the icon for it is & it can't be downloaded from the market.

Google Maps, Voice Search & Youtube could be removed from the rom, they could be downloaded from the market.

I'm struggling to install any market apps, it says download unsuccessful & I'm getting errors saying google talk authentication failed ... any ideas?

turn wifi off and do 1 download by g/3g, that got rid of the problem for me, I also installed 'gmail' and signed in once

turn wifi off and do 1 download by g/3g, that got rid of the problem for me, I also installed 'gmail' and signed in once

I'm on a different rom now, I gave up with this one & put my own stripped version of the modaco froyo rom on it, there's no need to download using 3g with that rom.

Does installing gmail from the market give you gtalk too? If not, then gtalk should be included in the next version of this rom (if there is one), it isn't listed on the market. The other google apps can go though, theres no need for maps, youtube or voice search to be on the system partition.

is it possible to implement 720p 30fps recording in MCR? I heard some custom roms enabled 30 fps movie recording... :unsure:

On the blade? Are you sure? Which roms? The camera is poor anyway, 720p probably still wouldnt look very good & I somehow doubt the cpu would be powerful enough to process 720p recording/encoding. You can do 480p.

Guest isambard
On the blade? Are you sure? Which roms? The camera is poor anyway, 720p probably still wouldnt look very good & I somehow doubt the cpu would be powerful enough to process 720p recording/encoding. You can do 480p.

Thanks for your feedback. I will make fixes for the next version.

You are correct no the encoding. The CPU is not powerful enough and the max it can do is 30fps @WVGA (800x480).

The camera is so poor anyway, it doesn't make so much sense to do this. I look forward to seeing the ZTE Blade II with improved camera! :unsure:

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

After a day of testing, very good. Seb's ROM is definitely the best, and encountered no problems with the install procedure. Very quick, painless, and everything is now perfect. Nice to have such a huge data partition.

Good job :unsure: