A utility to help newcomers apply fixes etc

Guest simonta

Guest simonta

Hi folks

I've started development of a utility to provide assistance with flashing and updating your Vega. I'm asking for people to give it a quick test and let me have feedback.

Currently, the ony thing it does is tell you, in a very simple way, whether your Vega is ready to flash or to apply the MCR update. I will add the following functionality, if people tell me it's worth doing:

1. If you are having trouble with the USB drivers, a button you can click which will diagnose the problem and offer advice

2. The ability to install update.zip without going into recovery (with an equivalent app for the Vega)

3. A button to click to remove clockworkmod

This is a Windows application. Just unzip the file and run the EXE.

The first time you run it, it will ask you to browse to ABD.EXE (if you're using the Android SDK) or ADB-WINDOWS.EXE if you aren't using the Android SDK or don't know what that means. Simply browse to the folder where you unzipped Paul's custom pack.

I'm aiming this at less experienced Android and Vega folks and therefore, the functionality is designed to be simple. The release here is very much an early taster and therefore has some more complex things that won't be in the "production" versions. When you run the tool, you will see a window with white text and black background across which weird spells and arcane nonsense will be written. If you close this, the tool will end (you can minimise it, just leave it open). Another debugging feature is a window to show all plug and play devices. This is opened by double-clicking the info window in the middle of the tool. These are there in case anyone reports problems so that I can figure out what's going on.

The "Install update" button does everything except actually install the update. Which sounds pretty stupid but behind the button is a whole heap of code which needs to be tested. However, of all the features I plan, this will not get publicly posted until extremely well tested :unsure:

The reason for the early release is that I want to make sure that the basics are rock solid. No point in adding to the confusion and struggles of our new friends! For this reason, I would also welcome any feedback from experienced hands.

Please do let me know your feedback, especially:

1. Is this worth doing?

2. What would you like to see?

3. Forget the early release stuff I mentioned above. Is it simple enough? Too simple?

4. How does the UI look? I'm the first to admit that whilst I'm a reasonably competent programmer, my interfaces suck B)

5. Does it work????? !!!!!!

Thanks for any feedback. Aim is to help newcomers. When finished (if finished, see above!) I will release the tool and source under the Apache license.

Cheers

EDIT: v0.21 fixes stupid bug if there is a space in the ADB.EXE path

Vega_Helper_0.21.zip

Edited by simonta

Guest debs626

Bloooomin brilliant idea :unsure:

First problem for me ........ I'm unable to download it via my Vega "/

My browser (Xscope) just says its "requesting ...... " then the page times out

Maybe you could include instructions (for the newbies) how to unpack/install and more information ie - is it an android or pc app ?

Guest simonta
Bloooomin brilliant idea :unsure:

First problem for me ........ I'm unable to download it via my Vega "/

My browser (Xscope) just says its "requesting ...... " then the page times out

Maybe you could include instructions (for the newbies) how to unpack/install and more information ie - is it an android or pc app ?

Doh, sorry! This is a PC application. Apologies to the Mac and Linux folks. I'll release the source later but won't have time to port. Having said that, there is no rocket science in here. Just trying to take some of the complexity out..

Guest debs626

Just taken this little utility for its first test run while I updated to MCR 1.06.5

I had the manual USB host mod installed and for some reason I was stuck in USB host so I had to do a full Advent update :angry:

once in recovery mode the VegaHelper displayed I was ready to Flash Advent Update ........ once updated and Vega was fully on the VegaHelper displayed that my device was ready to apply the MCR ROM.

As there is no real indication on the vega that the device is actually in recovery mode the VegaHelper detected that it was which I think is neat, especially for newbies B)

The program ran on my W7 32bit with no probs at all tyvm :unsure:

Guest Bazabaza

Unfortunately I get (W7 32bit)

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File not found.

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction.Shell(String PathName, AppWinStyle Style, Boolean Wait, Int32 Timeout)

at Vega_Helper.frmMain.GetInfo()

at Vega_Helper.frmMain.CheckForDrivers(EventArrivedEventArgs e)

at Vega_Helper.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4952 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Vega Helper

Assembly Version: 0.1.0.0

Win32 Version: 0.1.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Barry/AppData/Local/Temp/Rar$EX00.942/Vega%20Helper.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System.Management

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Guest jellywobbles

Very strange, but didn't work for me when I upgraded to MCR 6 from 5. When I ran your utility it said the same as it did without the Vega connected. Didn't seem to know my device was connected and all drivers installed. I continue to update to release 6 without any problems.

Be glad carry out further tests if it'll help.

Cheers

Guest Grant Meek

This could be of great benefit to me personally. I'll have a go at this tomorrow at work, I was trying today but couldn't seem to get the USB drivers installed properly.

Will give this a little whirl during lunch.

Thanks.

Guest simonta
Very strange, but didn't work for me when I upgraded to MCR 6 from 5. When I ran your utility it said the same as it did without the Vega connected. Didn't seem to know my device was connected and all drivers installed. I continue to update to release 6 without any problems.

Be glad carry out further tests if it'll help.

Cheers

Hi Jellywobbles.

I really hope I'm not being stupid here. When you say "it said the same", the tool doesn't show you if the Vega is connected or not. It shows if the Vega is connected and has USB Debugging turned on or is in recovery. Have you set debugging in Settings->Applications->Development?

If you already know this, and it's me being stupid, then please click "Show all devices", then click Copy and paste the result into notepad and post the file.

Thank you...

Guest jellywobbles
Hi Jellywobbles.

I really hope I'm not being stupid here. When you say "it said the same", the tool doesn't show you if the Vega is connected or not. It shows if the Vega is connected and has USB Debugging turned on or is in recovery. Have you set debugging in Settings->Applications->Development?

If you already know this, and it's me being stupid, then please click "Show all devices", then click Copy and paste the result into notepad and post the file.

Thank you...

At work now, so cannot check until I get home.

My Vega had USB debugging turned on & was connected via USB cable to the laptop that I used when I installed MRC r5.

When I ran your Utility, nothing happened - so sign of the Vega being connected. Clicking on "Show all devices" just brought up the window which was empty!

Your Utility was showing NOT READY.

So, I closed your utility down, leaving the Vega connected & then went ahead & installed MRC r6 + Performance Pack without any issues.

Hope this helps - be glad to run any further tests when I get home.

Cheers

jw

Guest simonta
At work now, so cannot check until I get home.

My Vega had USB debugging turned on & was connected via USB cable to the laptop that I used when I installed MRC r5.

When I ran your Utility, nothing happened - so sign of the Vega being connected. Clicking on "Show all devices" just brought up the window which was empty!

Your Utility was showing NOT READY.

So, I closed your utility down, leaving the Vega connected & then went ahead & installed MRC r6 + Performance Pack without any issues.

Hope this helps - be glad to run any further tests when I get home.

PS. I'm into the next set of functionality and I've already moved the "Show all Devices" button. Instead, double click the info window in the middle.

Cheers

jw

OK, thanks for that. If the Show all devices window is empty, it's failing to read the device list from windows , therefore can't see the ADB driver, therefore shows Not Ready.

Would you be kind enough to share what version of Windows you're on and if you know, whether you log on as an administrator or not. If you're using Vista/W7, then please also try right clicking the EXE and "Run as administrator".

Cheers

Edited by simonta

Guest simonta
Just taken this little utility for its first test run while I updated to MCR 1.06.5

I had the manual USB host mod installed and for some reason I was stuck in USB host so I had to do a full Advent update :angry:

once in recovery mode the VegaHelper displayed I was ready to Flash Advent Update ........ once updated and Vega was fully on the VegaHelper displayed that my device was ready to apply the MCR ROM.

As there is no real indication on the vega that the device is actually in recovery mode the VegaHelper detected that it was which I think is neat, especially for newbies B)

The program ran on my W7 32bit with no probs at all tyvm :unsure:

Thanks for the feedback Debs.