Quake Unlimited exclusively on MS Smartphone!

Guest RCAM

A bit much me thinks. The best thing about the SPV is that I can whip it out on the bus one the way home and start playing. Adding additional hardware to carry around loses this. I carry enough stuff around without worry about a gampad. And there's no point in using it at home - there are much better things there for gaming (PC, PS2... etc).

This is the reason why I'm not a big fan of the camera. By the time I've taken it out, attached it, and gone to the camera software (i.e. through MMS or IA Album) the photo oppurtunity's usually gone.

Attaching an external device would not be logical to me. The idea of this wireless device is to be as sleek as possible. A usb cable with a joystick on the other end attached to the SPV is no ideal. Now on the other hand, a small plastic plate to go over the keypad, with a small joystick on the top, which pushed the keys down as the joystick was moved would seem logical and compact. As if this idea needed improvment... When you push down on the joystick it could make you press the 5 to fire or jump. Heck with that you could even play one handed!

Any thoughts or comments?

I am not sure about a plug on bit. It seems to be somthing else to carry around. The reason I like the SPV rather than a P800 is that it is a phone size phone that slips into my pocket that can also be games machine at a touch of a button. I am not even sure if I will carry round the headphones for listen to music once the weather gets warmer and I will not be wearing a jacket so much.

Guest Gorskar

I was thinking of something similar.

How about this:

spv_pad_idea.gif

?

(My artistic talent is legendary :) )

There is a lever hinged at the bottom of the pad, which presses the action button, and extends out the top of the pad.

The pad itself has a hole large enough to let the lever through, acounting for the movement of the pad.

The pad itself slots into the little grooves on the spv pad and is held onto the frame via springs (disguised inside little pipes maybe)

The frame clips onto the spv at the point where the battery meets the spv body.

Genius or what?

Any enterprising manufacturer want to contact me to lisence this brilliant design??

Gorskar I can't really make out your design? Maybe if you did a close up view it would be better. Maybe use a real picture of the SPV and some transparent layers in Photoshop?

- Ryan M. Pamplin

Guest Gorskar

Thanks amo! - you can hardly tell its not actual spv eh?

I might have a play around doing a proper picture when I've got time.

That one took all of about 5 minutes - and was just to put some form on my thoughts.

I forgot to mention before that our application will be certified. None of you guys with the unmodded phones have to worry :). Still waiting for that joystick concept!

- Ryan M. Pamplin

The vote is very useful information! Thank you all for this information! Please vote if you have not... This will help us determine where we think we should set prices... This is uncharted territory for all companies involved.

- Ryan M. Pamplin

I am taking an interest. I want to see what people think and also make our product sucessful. I know I hate paying for cell phone games, like snake, yet I think people will somehow be able to justify paying for Quake Unlimited. We are still working on it :).

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let everyone know we are still working on the project. The most difficult tasks has proved creating origional content for our new PAK file. Otherwise I would say we are doing well. Expect some nice screenshots soon. I was also wondering, what are your opinions of having multiplayer capabilities over GRPS?

- Ryan M. Pamplin

Guest Shire29

OMG multiplayer over GPRS, pretty cool, but what sort of data transfer will there be, like for a 30min deathmatch how many MB ? £££££s to the networks.

Cheers, Shire

Multiplayer sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure I would use it. Personally I tend to use the phone for ad-hoc gaming when I have a few spare minutes. If I was to get into multiplayer gaming, I would probably do it at home on my PC.

Therefore my personal choice would be that you concentrated on bring out the basic game engine, with maybe multiplayer in a future release.

Guest spacemonkey

At the end of the day Quake on the SPV would have a high "cool" factor and I'd pay for it just to show off.

I would question however how much long term playability it's gonna have on the spv. Network gaming? well only if it's fun and easy to play through the little keyboard. I know you've been talking about weird joystick devices, but still, know any pc gamers who use a joystick for quake?

The best people to answer how practically playable is those who have been mucking about with the doom port. Do they genuinely play it a lot, or just pull it out whenever they are showing the phone to their friends? And how is doom to play? remembering of course that doom is a 2D play field compared to Quake's 3D.

The best people to answer how practically playable is those who have been mucking about with the doom port.  Do they genuinely play it a lot, or just pull it out whenever they are showing the phone to their friends?  And how is doom to play?  remembering of course that doom is a 2D play field compared to Quake's 3D.

I play Doom a bit, even when no-one is around. It is a little hard to control. I would normally play it on "Ultra-violence" setting, but that is a little too hard to play on the phone. The thing that stops me playing Doom on the phone lots is that I cannot save, rather than overall playability.

Attaching an external device would not be logical to me. The idea of this wireless device is to be as sleek as possible. A usb cable with a joystick on the other end attached to the SPV is no ideal. Now on the other hand, a small plastic plate to go over the keypad, with a small joystick on the top, which pushed the keys down as the joystick was moved would seem logical and compact. As if this idea needed improvment... When you push down on the joystick it could make you press the 5 to fire or jump. Heck with that you could even play one handed!

You say that attaching an external device is not too appealing, but what you then go on to describe is in itself an external device.

If time and money is going to be spent on developing a snap on joystick, it would be much better done as a stand-alone device, connected using the SPV's serial port instead of the keyboard - would be much more responsive. It could still be designed to snap on over the top of the SPV, just not interact with the keys. Also, there'd probably be enought room to add on two or four reasonably sized buttons for jump, shoot, etc...

I would have said to connect via the USB, but the SPV is a USB device (or slave) and doesn't (I assume) have the master functionality needed to control other devices.

But whatever happens, Quake would rock :twisted:

Just my thoughts,

Hax

yeah im the same: would play more doom but the lack of a working save kinda makes meaningful play impossible. also some sounds would drive the playability factor up i think

Hey MBoden are u still developing doom these days or do u just not have the time any more?

I don't plan on using an external device at all. I think people will become used to playing with the configurations we create. We will have a saving feature implimented in our game. This is a commercial release, expect quality features as you would on a PC or console.

- Ryan M. Pamplin

• 8 months later...