Quake Unlimited exclusively on MS Smartphone!

Guest RCAM

Guest midnight

lets just face the truth, getting quake running on the current phones is gonna be near impossible, quake is a hell of a lot more complex than doom, and doom just about runs acceptably, with the new phones coming out with extra ram etc, who knows, but we'll have to wait and see :)

Er... sorry to bring things back on topic ... (BTW v nice link Eastman - flash is the furture!!) but QUAKE - definately!!

I voted $14.99 (thats about a tenner to me!) if it was quick & smooth graphically, but if it was any more expensive it would need to be really special.

Having said that - em, need any beta testers?? :wink:

Guest midnight

off topic, i never went off topic, i said the chances of quake are slim because the original poster hasnt posted anything about the game in 8 months, no news, no screenshots, no demo, nada. so the chances are, this game is never going to be released :)

Guest spacecowboy6982

Shame really isnt it because Quake is such an excellent game. Surely the new ram in the E-200 could run Quake effectivly ?

From your experience as a developer Midnight, what would you say the chances were ?

spacecowboy

Guest midnight

slim, the quake engine relies heavily on floating point calculations, something the smartphone cannot do, so, the only way of making this game is to basically write the game again from scratch.

I believe someone did get this running on the spv (i'll mention no names), but it was so unbeleivably slow it was more like a slideshow than a game hehe :)

of course, this isnt to say that the smartphone wont get good 3d fps shooters, it will, but it will take time (its even something we may look at for e200/200mhz machines in the future)

also, one of the main problems is the control method, it would have to be simplified, so even though its a 3d world, aiming would have to be more like doom (you can only move the site left and right, but it auto-aims up and down)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest midnight

yes, indeed, look at red faction, the environments and character models are much lower poly than those of quake. I'm not saying its totally impossible to make, just needs lots of the game remaking from scratch, but as i said, 200mhz will help a lot, as will directx (should speed up development) when its available. In fact, optimise and simplify enough and a prefectly reasonable version of quake 'could' be made for the original spv/quake, but, there is that much work involved you may aswell make it from scratch, and it definitely wouldnt be an exact version. Of course, someone could release Quake and prove me wrong :lol: