YouTube app

Guest griff_dai

Guest griff_dai

Is anyone else having problems with the youtube app.

Mine does not work, i'm having to reinstall the app to get it to work then if the Vega has gone to sleep and I wake it up, its stopped working again...... This only started to happen the other day. Also I cannot delete the app from the Vega I have to install the apk on top of the one that is on the Vega, i'm not that concerned but its a pain that it's suddenly stopped working...

Any ideas?

Edited by griff_dai

Guest griff_dai

This is doing my tits in now, youtube app refuses to work after the Vega has been in 'sleep' having to re download the apk to get it working again.

What the feck is going on?

Guest danielj58
This is doing my tits in now, youtube app refuses to work after the Vega has been in 'sleep' having to re download the apk to get it working again.

What the feck is going on?

That does seem odd.

Can you post a logcat?

Uninstall it and remove it from your system/app folder using ADB, then install it from the market.

On a slightly O/T note, do you not prefer using the proper youtube website?

Guest griff_dai
That does seem odd.

Can you post a logcat?

Uninstall it and remove it from your system/app folder using ADB, then install it from the market.

On a slightly O/T note, do you not prefer using the proper youtube website?

What's logcat and what's ADB......lol

I do use the website mostly, but I like the widget working on my homescreen.......only started happening yesterday!

Guest danielj58
What's logcat and what's ADB......lol

I do use the website mostly, but I like the widget working on my homescreen.......only started happening yesterday!

Ah, touché, the widget never crossed my mind :D

logcat is a way of getting the systems log, basically, with the right filters applied, it would show up what's going wrong.

ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge, it lets you do also sorts of things using your computer :P

First start would be to go get DroidExplorer, it's a third party app that is pretty useful in most cases, but in this case it will download ADB for you.

Then you need to put your vega in slave mode (if you don't know what that means, don't worry about it, it already will be), and then enable usb debugging by going to Settings>applications>debugging and ticking the check box

Now plug your vega into your PC, the drivers should install automatically, and you'll notice on the vega's status bar a little droid bug has popped up next to the usual USB icon, make sure you don't let your vega go to sleep cause it will disconnect.

Open DroidExplorer (it might ask you to confirm this is your device and show you a long number, just confirm) and then click console (which is the black box icon, 3rd from the right at the top)

now enter

su

ls /system/app
it'll list all the applications installed as standard find youtube, and enter the following (replacing YouTube.apk if what you find differs)
rm /system/app/YouTube.apk

Then off to the market with you, download and install youtube again B)

Post back if that fixes it, if not we'll have to get some logs from your device :P

Guest griff_dai

ok, I have deleted the YouTube.apk file from my Vega.

The Youtube app icon is still on the Vega.

Unistaller can't see it.

I have followed the post above and can see a YouTube apk still listed.

Following the advice below the following is presented to me:

rm failed for /system/app/YouTube.apk Read only system file

Any ideas what to do now??

Guest griff_dai

ok, I have deleted the YouTube.apk file from my Vega.

The Youtube app icon is still on the Vega.

Unistaller can't see it.

I have followed the post above and can see a YouTube apk still listed.

Following the advice below the following is presented to me:

rm failed for /system/app/YouTube.apk Read only system file

Any ideas what to do now??

Guest ashbash
Still have this problem

I don't know if DroidExplorer would work for this ... I have never used it and dont know if it has the capability of putting the file-system in Read/Write as opposed to its default Read Only.

adb is a different approach whereby u can use your pc to connect to the vega using the Android Developer Bridge component of the SDK, you have to have debugging switched on your vega.

A

Guest danielj58
Still have this problem

My apologies for not replying sooner.

Right, next way to go about it is the following (assuming you are on win7 or vista)

go to your C drive>program files>droid explorer>SDK

Then SINGLE click "tools" (so it's highlighted), then while holding down shift, right click on tools then click the option "open command window here"

(if your on xp or you dont seen the options you need to open a command prompt window and navigate it to that tools directory)

then do:-

adb remount

adb rm /system/app/YouTube.apk

and then try reinstalling youtube from the market.

If that doesn't get rid of the little blighter then I don't know what will!

Edited by danielj58

Right, next way to go about it is the following (assuming you are on win7 or vista)

Then SINGLE click "tools" (so it's highlighted), then while holding down shift, right click on tools then click the option "open command window here"

(if your on xp or you dont seen the options you need to open a command prompt window and navigate it to that tools directory)

adb remount

download root explorer use that to navigate to the system/app folder and change the permissions to r/w then delete the file alot easier than using adb

Guest danielj58
download root explorer use that to navigate to the system/app folder and change the permissions to r/w then delete the file alot easier than using adb

Or you could do that :D

Worth investing some time learning to use ADB (even if it's just bits and pieces at a time) if you're interesting in sticking around the android mod community though :P

Guest griff_dai

adb remount

Tried all this, don't work!