2.2 roms good enough for general use?

Guest Scope

I have now been playing around with JJ (first V5, now V6) and they certainly work fine so far.. I have not yet tried the phone element or GPS, but so far so good. So assuming the phone element works fine (would be a shame if it didnt, its a phone after all) I would say 2.2 is very good on this phone.

Guest Anjan Tek

The WiFi sleeping problem is a big issue and a deal-breaker, IMHO.

If you are in a place where there is stable wifi but mobile data is not available, then you are going to be disappointed that you will not be receiving email notifications (or any Internet related updates) while the phone is sleeping.

I don't know how any "smartphone" can be used effectively with such a major bug.

The WiFi sleeping problem is a big issue and a deal-breaker, IMHO.

If you are in a place where there is stable wifi but mobile data is not available, then you are going to be disappointed that you will not be receiving email notifications (or any Internet related updates) while the phone is sleeping.

I don't know how any "smartphone" can be used effectively with such a major bug.

I believe you can enable Wifi to be on if you want..

And as far as I know my Iphone will not recieve emails if it does not have reception, even if wifi is enabled, while sleeping.. You would need atleast gprs..

Guest Anjan Tek
I believe you can enable Wifi to be on if you want..

There is an option to do this (called "WiFi Sleep Policy"). But, apparently, it does not work on any of the ROMs. And apparently, it is so well-known that ROM makers usually don't even mention it under the "known issues" section. Everybody seems to be resigned to the fact that it won't work until ZTE fixes it. Try asking a question about this issue in the forum and you are sure to go down in flames.

In fact, I read somewhere that it doesn't even work on the Stock Eclair ROM. Not sure about that though.

And as far as I know my Iphone will not recieve emails if it does not have reception, even if wifi is enabled, while sleeping.. You would need atleast gprs..

I have an iPhone too and WiFi does work when the phone goes to sleep. When I am in my house (where I have WiFi), the iPhone is connected to this network and gives me email notifications even when the phone is asleep. I don't have a mobile data plan at all.

THIS is push notification. It is one of the most basic features of a smartphone.

Why, even my old Nokia E71 used to work well in this regard.

Guest vermat17

I've installed the Japanese Jellyfish ROM, and it's been running perfectly for me. It's quite fast and saves a fair bit of battery, so thumbs up from me. The Wi-Fi seems to be sorted for me by this ROM, it connects almost every time. Would definitely recommend for daily use. :D

Guest Anjan Tek
I've installed the Japanese Jellyfish ROM, and it's been running perfectly for me. It's quite fast and saves a fair bit of battery, so thumbs up from me. The Wi-Fi seems to be sorted for me by this ROM, it connects almost every time. Would definitely recommend for daily use. :D

The issue with WiFi is not with connecting.

The problem with WiFi is that it switches off (thus disconnecting from the WLAN) when the phone goes to sleep, despite setting the "WiFi Sleep Policy" to "Never".

When you press the power button to bring the phone out of sleep, it automatically reconnects to the WLAN. There is no problem here.

Guest m_w_clarke

I have been running Eclair mcr r4 since I got my phone in October.

It runs really smoothly with LauncherPro and I have wifi working great, using the apps "wifi keep alive" and "wifi reenable". I get around 2-3 days normal usage out of it.

Would I see a good jump in performance going to either (FLB or JJ) 2.2 builds? Would the battery life go down (I see a few differences here, some people say battery life in JJ is bad some say good)

Thanks for your help.

Guest Carlos Abel Chavez Slim
There is an option to do this (called "WiFi Sleep Policy"). But, apparently, it does not work on any of the ROMs. And apparently, it is so well-known that ROM makers usually don't even mention it under the "known issues" section. Everybody seems to be resigned to the fact that it won't work until ZTE fixes it. Try asking a question about this issue in the forum and you are sure to go down in flames.

In fact, I read somewhere that it doesn't even work on the Stock Eclair ROM. Not sure about that though.

You're absolutely right, and yes it doesn't even work on the stock ROM.

Guest targetbsp
The issue with WiFi is not with connecting.

The problem with WiFi is that it switches off (thus disconnecting from the WLAN) when the phone goes to sleep, despite setting the "WiFi Sleep Policy" to "Never".

When you press the power button to bring the phone out of sleep, it automatically reconnects to the WLAN. There is no problem here.

There were in fact 2 wi-fi issues. The fact wi-fi doesn't work when the phone sleeps in any rom and re-connecting after sleep problems in 2.1 that are now fixed in 2.2.

Guest Anjan Tek
There were in fact 2 wi-fi issues. The fact wi-fi doesn't work when the phone sleeps in any rom and re-connecting after sleep problems in 2.1 that are now fixed in 2.2.

For clarity's sake, let me rephrase that.

There were two problems with WiFi:

1. WiFi goes to sleep when the phone goes to sleep, despite setting "Never" in the "WiFi Sleep Policy".

2. When you press the power button to bring the phone out of sleep, the WiFi does not automatically reconnect to the network.

Issue number 2 has been fixed with the release of the source kernel which is being used in some of the ROMs.

Issue number 1 still exists.

I have been running Eclair mcr r4 since I got my phone in October.

It runs really smoothly with LauncherPro and I have wifi working great, using the apps "wifi keep alive" and "wifi reenable". I get around 2-3 days normal usage out of it.

Would I see a good jump in performance going to either (FLB or JJ) 2.2 builds? Would the battery life go down (I see a few differences here, some people say battery life in JJ is bad some say good)

Thanks for your help.

I too have been using mcr 2.1 r4 since its release back in october and just last night flashed JJ RLS6. Its been about 24h since it was unplugged from charger I guess and battery is at 58% at the moment. I havent used the handsets phone functionality much during this time, and have not had 3G data on, but I have had wifi on for some time from time to time. I've also fiddled a lot with some settings, restoring, installing some apps, flashed ahb oc, gps fix, and themes etc. On top of that I've spent some time overclocking the cpu and ran a stress test for maybe 1h or a little less. While its hard to tell how the battery life really is after such short time, its really not as horrible for me as some people describe it to be. If I had to make a quick guess I'd say its about equal to what mcr 2.1 was for me.

Guest m_w_clarke
I too have been using mcr 2.1 r4 since its release back in october and just last night flashed JJ RLS6. Its been about 24h since it was unplugged from charger I guess and battery is at 58% at the moment. I havent used the handsets phone functionality much during this time, and have not had 3G data on, but I have had wifi on for some time from time to time. I've also fiddled a lot with some settings, restoring, installing some apps, flashed ahb oc, gps fix, and themes etc. On top of that I've spent some time overclocking the cpu and ran a stress test for maybe 1h or a little less. While its hard to tell how the battery life really is after such short time, its really not as horrible for me as some people describe it to be. If I had to make a quick guess I'd say its about equal to what mcr 2.1 was for me.

Thanks for getting back to me :-)

Have you noticed an increase in performance at all?

Thanks for getting back to me :-)

Have you noticed an increase in performance at all?

No problem. ;)

I believe its a bit faster, a bit smoother, I did find mcr 2.1 r4 with LP to run pretty smooth for starters already though. Angry birds seem to run a bit better, still not completely flawless though. I'm running mine OCed at 691mhz. Havent had that much time to play around with it yet.