Windows On Vega Near Future!

Guest Anton2k

Guest Anton2k

Just got done watching microsoft's CES key note for 2011 and delighted to say microsoft has windows running on arm based systems like ours!!!! watch this video,

and notice the Tegra Platform!!! (must be tegra 2 +) Could we actually see windows on the vega???? who knows i sure hope so!!!!

Vote in the poll!

Edited by Anton2k

Guest warriorscot

The Vega should be compatible with the arm compatible versions of windows CE. As long as someone ports it across or MS design a version that is compatible with the Vega base design we should see it available for the Vega. However I can't see it being any better than Android 3.0 or Linux on the Vega as they are probably going to hit the vega first with usable versions before windows does.

Also not sure how well it will run, I haven't had the chance to see it running on a tablet at all only on phones so I don't know how well it will compare to say MeeGo or Ubuntu Unity which are probably going to hit a vega long before windows even looks at one funny.

Guest danielj58
Just got done watching microsoft's CES key note for 2011 and delighted to say microsoft has windows running on arm based systems like ours!!!! watch this video,
and notice the Tegra Platform!!! (must be tegra 2 +) Could we actually see windows on the vega???? who knows i sure hope so!!!!

Vote in the poll!

I'm excited for the possibilities of Windows on ARM (and especially excited that Microsoft are taking a much more active interest in ARM as a primary platform for their next gen OS's), which I don't think we'll see Windows on the Vega, nor do I see it being of any use over honeycomb, when it eventually drops.

Just my 2 pennies worth :D

Edit:

No doubt Microsoft and nVidia have already got the next windows kernel working on the Harmony development board, so if we ever get hold of that it will more than likely that we get it up and running on the Vega, as long as people are still using the Vega when that day comes of course...

Edited by danielj58

Guest Restless_UK
The Vega should be compatible with the arm compatible versions of windows CE. As long as someone ports it across or MS design a version that is compatible with the Vega base design we should see it available for the Vega. However I can't see it being any better than Android 3.0 or Linux on the Vega as they are probably going to hit the vega first with usable versions before windows does.

Also not sure how well it will run, I haven't had the chance to see it running on a tablet at all only on phones so I don't know how well it will compare to say MeeGo or Ubuntu Unity which are probably going to hit a vega long before windows even looks at one funny.

I can't say i'm too bothered by this announcment. as great as it will be once windows is running on ARM based systems, the rest of the software os's will have been there long before hand and will probably beat at every point.

we want lightweight os systems now not bloated ones such as windows.. i can't see anyone writing novels in word or creating full presentations on a tablet (ok, maybe if one was the base of the system) but for most games, videos and internet will be the main areas of interest..

By the time windows is released on ARM Android "Ice Cream" or "Jaffa" will be out on the Vega 2.... :D

Edited by Restless_UK

Guest Anton2k

Thank's for the replys guys, i would like to see windows come one day to the vega, just because its what i am use to using. I love android its nice and snappy but i dont know my way around it the same as windows(granted its not hard to find your way around), i can program in windows using different lanuages such as c# and and other forms of .net <3 vb6. But my point is its what i am use to and have grown up with... i know where every thing is i know how to fix it if something go's wrong. Android is much more hide it from the user if u know what i mean not in a bad way. I mean if android say crashes it crashes be get no error as you would say.

Anyho im away off track here..... Windows on arm im sure would be alot less bloated and would run alot faster than on the x86 arch, not to say it will be faster than android but not.. slow..... and more SUPPORT/BIGGER USER BASE!!!!

Guest Anton2k
Android is open source, windows is closed. That's the best reason to keep windows off the platform IMO.

Yea... Id probally pay for windows of vega if it was good enough. Again though not bashing linux... linux is amazing!

Guest danielj58
Thank's for the replys guys, i would like to see windows come one day to the vega, just because its what i am use to using. I love android its nice and snappy but i dont know my way around it the same as windows(granted its not hard to find your way around), i can program in windows using different lanuages such as c# and and other forms of .net <3 vb6. But my point is its what i am use to and have grown up with... i know where every thing is i know how to fix it if something go's wrong. Android is much more hide it from the user if u know what i mean not in a bad way. I mean if android say crashes it crashes be get no error as you would say.

Anyho im away off track here..... Windows on arm im sure would be alot less bloated and would run alot faster than on the x86 arch, not to say it will be faster than android but not.. slow..... and more SUPPORT/BIGGER USER BASE!!!!

I think you might be setting yourself up for a fall here then, because I think the resemblance will only be skin deep.

And if you can program in c#, the jump to Java and android is but a stones throw away :-)

Linux and android aren't too difficult to pick up once you get the ball rolling :-)

stick with it!

I think windows ce 7 will more than likely be Microsoft's tablet platform, mainstream arm support in its bigger brother is deffinetly a way off in the future, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it until after they ditch windows all together.

Edited by danielj58

Guest Anton2k
I think you might be setting yourself up for a fall here then, because I think the resemblance will only be skin deep.

And if you can program in c#, the jump to Java and android is but a stones throw away :-)

Linux and android aren't too difficult to pick up once you get the ball rolling :-)

stick with it!

I think windows ce 7 will more than likely be Microsoft's tablet platform, mainstream arm support in its bigger brother is deffinetly a way off in the future, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it until after they ditch windows all together.

Yea i supose who knows though, any way more of this programing in android cause im very intrest... u can program in andorid using java? are there any ide's out there for programming andorid apps?

Regards Anton.

Nope, if I wanted a Windows tablet I would have got (or waited) for one.

I got myself an Android tablet for a reason, same way I have an Android phone.

Guest marky444

Not really interested in a windows tablet. I brought the Vega to try a different platform and discovered a whole new community and way of browsing and game playing. Really wouldn't have bothered if it was windows based.

Guest emergant

I don't really see the point personally. You want an OS designed for a touch screen which can run well on the resources available. That currently means something like android or another adapted Linux like meego

I personally have no use for windows. As I understand it he main reason to run it is for its applications and they wont run well on arm any time soon . Without the applications why not use something better? I'm new to android but not Linux. I don't find the interface difficult but. It is a little limiting. Meego would be great for me as long as it takes off

Guest simonta

Really don't want to add flame bait but must correct some errors.

we want lightweight os systems now not bloated ones such as windows..

The Windows kernel is reknowned for being lean and mean. Don't confuse the OS with everything else that comes with it. Strip down Windows and it runs very fast. I've got a couple of liveboot CDs with Barts PE and other tools that are very quick.

for its applications and they wont run well on arm any time soon

Most apps should run just fine. There are very few which are affected by the platform.

Bottom line. Choice is good. Windows offers many benefits (largest choice of software by far, best support for hardware and PNP etc). If you don't want Windows, cool. If you want it, cool. Me, I'd love to run W7 on my tab.

Guest emergant

Windows supports new hardware very well. I don't believe it supports older hardware as well as Linux but that's not very relevant here. Windows hardware drivers and most other software is compiled against x86 by third party companies. Unlike Linux the code is not available and can only be ported by its authors. Some may be ported but most wont IMHO. If the software isn't ported I see no reason to chose windows. It is true that the windows kernel is small but the os isnt

Guest warriorscot

Windows CE is not windows. Lots of people seem to forget that. The mobile versions of windows are very different beasts compared to the desktop counterparts they don't behave remotely similar and have their own distinct UI which can often vary greatly between versions. So familiarity with desktop windows rarely helps with windows CE as its not really windows its just an MS operating system that runs on mobile devices Just like iOS is different from OSX.

Guest Higgsy
Android is open source, windows is closed. That's the best reason to keep windows off the platform IMO.

Amen to that brother

Edited by Higgsy

Guest emergant

I've tried hard not to turn this into a religious argument and to keep to specific practical issues. The fact is that if its not open source only the original vendors can port it/adapt it to tegra and a touch screen. This is a massive disadvantage for windows in this case. I personally cannot see the majority of windows software ever moving to any other platform. Emulation can help a little but not from very powerful x86 chips to less powerful tegra ones. If the applications don't move the exercise is largely pointless as this is the only real reason to stick with windows

Guest Higgsy
Nothing wrong with closed source. Handcent, Angry Birds, Root Explorer, Dolphin, Launcher Pro......

yeah from the perspective of an app not an operating system

Guest simonta

I agree with you. I don't want a religious debate either, just trying to stop some FUD.

Myth. Open good. Closed bad. See above.

Myth. Apps won't run. Overwhelming majority will run just fine. Device drivers, another matter but given that Windows will port and will sell, the drivers will come.

Myth. Windows bloated. See above.

PS. I'm not a "fan" of any OS. I use Windows, Linux, Android and OSX. Horses for courses. All of them have specific advantages and disadvantages. As I said, more choice is good..

Guest emergant
I agree with you. I don't want a religious debate either, just trying to stop some FUD.

Myth. Open good. Closed bad. See above.

Myth. Apps won't run. Overwhelming majority will run just fine. Device drivers, another matter but given that Windows will port and will sell, the drivers will come.

Myth. Windows bloated. See above.

PS. I'm not a "fan" of any OS. I use Windows, Linux, Android and OSX. Horses for courses. All of them have specific advantages and disadvantages. As I said, more choice is good..

Given the choice between open and closed source I'd take open any day. Its a personal choice. In this case I've given what I believe is a valid practicle reason.

Can you explain how i can take any windows exe and run it on a tegra given that the os is ported. Drivers for some new devices may be ported but many less common ones wont. That old USB scanner you've had for years stands no chance

Guest warriorscot
Can you explain how i can take any windows exe and run it on a tegra given that the os is ported. Drivers for some new devices may be ported but many less common ones wont. That old USB scanner you've had for years stands no chance

You couldn't or at least probably not unless MS has done something major to windows CE this iteration. Windows CE doesn't run normal Windows programs it will use .exe files but you can't just take any old program and use it most cases. Like I said Windows CE isn't really windows at all in a very real sense its also developed in a different way with hardware companies doing a lot of the work which is why it can look so different across different platforms all using Windows CE.

Guest emergant
You couldn't or at least probably not unless MS has done something major to windows CE this iteration. Windows CE doesn't run normal Windows programs it will use .exe files but you can't just take any old program and use it most cases. Like I said Windows CE isn't really windows at all in a very real sense its also developed in a different way with hardware companies doing a lot of the work which is why it can look so different across different platforms all using Windows CE.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the topic, we're talking about desktop windows? I believe ms have announced that this will be ported to arm one day. In that context we seem to agree that unported application which would be most software is unlikely to run on tegra.

Guest warriorscot

There are two versions that they are releasing for ARM based systems the desktop version WAY in the future and the Windows 7 CE version pretty soon. They talked about both a lot at CES although for tablets they made a bigger deal about the windows 7 CE stuff on tablet since its ready now more or less. The stuff in CES keynote at the end is about the next iteration of windows they have built an ARM version for. However its got most of the same limitations of the CE version namely being that most programs are written for x86 based systems not ARM which means recoding and porting across just like you would need to do to move it to windows CE or even Android. Personally I don't think we will see windows desktop so much in tablets it will be the tablet optimised version of windows CE which at the end of the day is going to run better on our tablets. And if they have Office running on desktop ARM it will probably run on the CE version as well.

After all its better to have a pumped up version of the lightweight CE core than a cut back version of windows desktop that won't be universally compatible anyway without tonnes of virtualisation which needs more power than even Tegra has. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the CE core made its way into the ARM version of the next desktop windows and its still got plenty work that needs done to it as compared to the latest CE which is basically the same thing at the end of the day but with a UI designed for mobile devices and not loaded down with space consuming extras.

Guest emergant

Okay, I'll admit I know little about CE I'd thought it had failed to be honest. I think I'm going to butt out at this point as I have little to add. I'm not a windows user, its Mac or Linux for me. Given that I believe that the only benefit of windows is its breadth of applications and games, I see no benefit in any future version of windows which can't run at least a very high percentage of those applications. I don't buy the familiarity argument personally as most people seem to mean the ui when using it and the ui is pretty similar on many operating systems and a tablet is going to be different anyway.