T mobile (UK) hacks it's data allowance!

Guest squirreleater

Guest Scottland
That last line in that announcement "If you want to download, stream and watch video clips, save that stuff for your home broadband." is like the biggest middle finger from a network provider.

Can more people post their experiences over the phone to T-Mobile regarding this?

I am livid atm. Swear words only come to mind ¬_¬

I hope they start putting something on their website, along side all their YouTube equipped phones "please don't use YouTube" then :D

All I can say is that I moved to 3 a while ago as there included minutes, texts, Windows Live & Skype allowance proved to be awesome... And to be very honest the few times I have to deal with their CS it has been a bearable experience.

Their recent changes to their One Plan just shows that they understand why people want these phones... They NEED DATA!

I'll be sticking with 3 thanks.

And they'll probably be welcoming some of your custom in the near future as well I would have thought!

Guest vinokirk

WTF! Yeah...just aligning with Oranges FUP. God damn it, I've been with all the operators now multiple times, but this is my first time with Tmobile in over a decade of mobile phone useage. I finally thought...'WOW I cant belive I havent been with Tmobile before, they're ace'. And now they go and kick me in the teeth. Looks like I'll be going back too Three in October!

Guest Bibbleq

Just rang t-mobile to check my usage for the last few months. They cant find it anywhere in the billing system. I've been told to check my "unbilled" usage just before my billing date. :D

Not great if I cant see how my usage has been over the last few months to get an idea of where I stand.

Guest Amdathlonuk

Interesting.....

My bill this month is £275 and is most months, I wondered why I suddenly had data usage showing on my account.

I will be ringing them tomorrow, and if they cap my data rate, I'll be moving my business elsewhere! :D

Guest LetoKynes

Terrible, one of the reasons that I, too, signed up with T-Mobile was because they offered a 3gb FUP.

Really need to get my phone working on the uni's wifi then.. I guess this will push me more to do it :D

Guest Scottland
Actually. Does anyone know what happens If I cancel a contract with T-Mobile? Do I have to pay for my phone or do they just take it away?

No they'll try and bill you for the remainder of the contract.

Guest Simon O

I'm on T-Mobile Pay as you go and was getting 3GB a month data allowance. Bit gutted this is dropping to 500MB even though it's in line with other operators. Orange, Vodafone and O2 only give 500MB data per month for pay as you go customers. 3 is 150MB unless you pay £5 to get 500MB.

People keep going on about giffgaff that's owned by O2. What exactly is the fair usage policy? They advertise as unlimited but nothing is ever unlimited.. I don't think they would let me use 40GB in a month if I wanted to, right?

That last line in that announcement "If you want to download, stream and watch video clips, save that stuff for your home broadband." is like the biggest middle finger from a network provider.

Can more people post their experiences over the phone to T-Mobile regarding this?

I am livid atm. Swear words only come to mind ¬_¬

HA! That's nothing :D I did swear very loudly and repeatedly in, ironically enough, the middle of a Law class.

Contract Law is by no means one of my strong points but I'm not entirely sure they are within it.

How can they market something as part of the package but claim the FUP is additional?

I felt the statement was incredibly rude too...

Natt39

Guest daniel_owen_uk

The last time a telco I was with did this it was orange about 18 months ago, they changed the cost of their 0870 calls (used to be included in their minutes).

Turns out I could cancel penatly free, which is nice when you have only been with them a month and have a handset fetching £350 on ebay :D

Guest English Haze

This is why I never tie myself in to a contract. None of the bastards can be trusted. GiffGaff looks like quite a deal. I think we'll be moving over there with our PAYG SIMs :D

Guest feelmychi

Can I ask if anyone has put together a petition to stop this sorry? There's no question that contract users are basically having the terms of their contracts breached, but in addition to this, it is total abuse of power. WTF do they mean save videos and gaming and whatnot for home broadband? Who the hell are they to decide what we do with what we buy from them? If they sell me a phone with youtube/real internet/whatever as a major selling point, surely it's nothing more than their duty to ensure that they are actually continuing to provide me with what I've paid for?!

Argh we need a huge petition to stop this, it is total abuse of their clientèle.

This is ridiculous, I'm very glad I'm no longer with them, having moved to - you guessed it - Giffgaff!

Go through the link in my sig and we both get a fiver free credit too :D

Edited by Alex_P

Guest Simon O
Can I ask if anyone has put together a petition to stop this sorry? There's no question that contract users are basically having the terms of their contracts breached, but in addition to this, it is total abuse of power. WTF do they mean save videos and gaming and whatnot for home broadband? Who the hell are they to decide what we do with what we buy from them? If they sell me a phone with youtube/real internet/whatever as a major selling point, surely it's nothing more than their duty to ensure that they are actually continuing to provide me with what I've paid for?!

Argh we need a huge petition to stop this, it is total abuse of their clientèle.

Petitions won't help. People need to start cancelling contracts and leaving T-Mobile for other networks. Only then will T-Mobile pay attention to the fact that it's customers are quite royally p'd off.

Guest Bibbleq

Just spoke with t-mobile retentions asking what the best they could do for me was, got some interesting prices for voice & txt. Said I was interested in Three for their data tariff that was unlimited & they started telling me that it wasn't "unlimited" and that it would have fair usage! seemed a bit cheeky given this recent move...!

Guest Simon O
Just spoke with t-mobile retentions asking what the best they could do for me was, got some interesting prices for voice & txt. Said I was interested in Three for their data tariff that was unlimited & they started telling me that it wasn't "unlimited" and that it would have fair usage! seemed a bit cheeky given this recent move...!

They are correct as 3 isn't unlimited, it's 1GB.

Guest zurpher

You can complain to Ofcom. They will investigate the announced change of T-Mobile's FUP if they receive enough complaints. I wonder how many that would be.

Have a look at: ZDnet Uk on this issue

I think it's a great opportunity to cancel the contract. In particular one should be able to keep any mobile that came with such a contract.

Guest zurpher
They are correct as 3 isn't unlimited, it's 1GB.

They are not because THREE have announced that they lift the 1 GB cap to truly unlimited. See my link that I have posted above for background information.

Guest squirreleater

There are lots of stories flying around at the moment, the story seems to be that Tmob are taking the line that they haven't changed anything that isn't a core function and their definition of what is considered fair use has been 'doctored' to suit the 500mb limit, they are using that as their get out clause currently.

but,

Ofcom are now looking into it and noises coming out via twitter from various people/blogs/forums is that Tmob are possibly going to be in the wrong on this, I've seen pasted conversations with Tmob saying that their legal team is going to be advising soon.

my hunch is that they will have to back down over existing contracts, Orange did this with some T+C changes and went through the same sort of thing, lots of conflicting stories followed by a stonewall response and finally backing down when the noise got too loud as Ofcom and others started to take notice.

Keep with it, email,phone and write, eventually they will back down and allow cancellation or existing allowances to be honoured.

(I hope!)

Stuart.

This is outrageous man, good thingI got a three contract now which has 1gb allowance but have just recently upgraded to the one plan which has more mins and unlimited internet allowance.

Edited by uk786

Guest masterpfa

Well I'm glad T-Mobile have decided to mention this now. Contract due within the next 2 weeks, guess what I won't be doing T-Mobile?

When will these operators realise that there is a need for more Mobile Data, more and more users require this with the latest batch of smartphones, iPhones, Blackberry's etc. etc.

The best protest is NOT to renew contracts, maybe even go to PAYG, after all the bulk of their income is based on contracts, let these providers try again to win our custom. :D

Edited by masterpfa

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.