XDA Devs now have a Vega forum

Guest simonta

Interesting to watch this, although I know where my loyalties lie :D

noticed there doing the performance pack upgrade for free , no paid membership but also no online kitchen for other things either

Guest warriorscot

Your not really paying for the performance pack on Modaco you are paying for the kitchen which just happens to have the performance pack in it.

Guest nigelpwilson
noticed there doing the performance pack upgrade for free , no paid membership but also no online kitchen for other things either

I can't see it free anywhere on XDA? ??

Guest Schooleydoo
I can't see it free anywhere on XDA? ??

I don't think it's right to damage Modaco's revenue stream by linking to it, but not hard to find on there.

Guest gingercat
Your not really paying for the performance pack on Modaco you are paying for the kitchen which just happens to have the performance pack in it.

LOL, do you really believe that? Not that I'm complaining, I think the add-free membership is worth every penny to help support the site, but you are effectively paying to get the performance pack as Paul could easily stick it in one of the pre-bakes if he so chose.

Guest Touch Graphite

Well well well.

After a quick squint, all. I can say is, what a load of crap.

In short, some key members have decided to migrate most of the fixes and workarounds for the device over to that forum in a blink of an eye, then decided to start questioning/slagging off Paul's decision of upgrading your membership to support the website hosting costs and abolish the ads and gracefully getting full access to all of his work in the process.

Unfortunately, most there don't seem to see it that way and question the whole reason to charge and point out that all mods should be freely given.

Ive noticed the fact that paying 250 sheets for, essentially, a web browser is sufficient but paying just 10 sheets more to completely transform it, is out of the question.

Greed sets in and we always demand more for less.

Questioning whether the performance pack is worth 10 notes is a no brainer and mostly all agree that its an add on worth having.

But when it all comes out that performance pack is just some modded drivers, people realise how easy and free it was to obtain and then kicked off at the charge.

What most people are forgetting, is that the 10 notes not only pay for the website, but the time Paul spent on Modding, coding and testing. All the while the chance of bricking his own deice he paid with his own hard earned money.

Now that the performance pack source has been found and now distributed, I'm sure modaco ad free upgrades will stop, indicating what people were really upgrading for.

If we were all paid for the products or services we produce in our daily jobs instead of 'by the hour' then we would quickly descend into another recession.

I wonder how many hours Paul spent on this device alone before everyone took notice and decided to join in?

The last problem I noticed, is that all true devs reward and acknowledge how helped and contributed towards getting the device the way it was. This has truly gone out the window on XDA. Paul is nowhere near to be respected, only to be questioned and abused for the charges.

Guest simonta

Applause...

Sadly, there is a never ending stream of people who think that if they can get something for nothing, then that's all that matters. No more thought goes into it. I've been developing apps for years and am constantly ripped off by people who think because they can get my software for nothing, it's somehow OK to do so.

Hmm... £10 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it is a lot when you realise that it is just a repack of a set of drivers from Nvidia. I'm willing to bet Paul has paid many times over for his Vega with the number of people who have subscribed just for this...

BTW, the performance pack was posted on XDA 4-6 weeks ago if you happened to be looking in the right place ;)

Guest Sanddancer75

Typically I just signed up this morning, primarily for the performance pack, but saying as we have 2 Vegas in the house & I have an Orange San Francisco running a custom ROM from here I can't really complain.

More people working on this thing should be good for everyone hopefully.

Guest carl rose
Hmm... £10 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it is a lot when you realise that it is just a repack of a set of drivers from Nvidia. I'm willing to bet Paul has paid many times over for his Vega with the number of people who have subscribed just for this...

BTW, the performance pack was posted on XDA 4-6 weeks ago if you happened to be looking in the right place ;)

Yes, I agree with this. If people prefer to pay the £10 to paul let them though. I rather give him a couple of quid and buy a school uniform with the rest for my daughter. I will never be forced to pay nor do I ever pay. If it's because of the R6 Rom or the Performance pack I rather not have them. If thisng were done differently there would be many more people paying and less complaining but £10 compulsary no way. I would've done it like this, compulsary donation of minimum £2 to get the performance pack. If people wanted to donate £10 then thats their business. I'm pretty sure there would people donating £10 but the majority £5 or £2. 500 people at £2 is £1000!! Bloody hell, I think that pays for more than enough, I need to work almost a month and a half for that. This is at the smaller rate, at £5 £2500! I think enough has been said, not forggeting to mention that at £10 you can pretty much buy a new car.

More people working on this thing should be good for everyone hopefully.

I agree, but I think Paul wants to go it alone here as I've PM'd him in the past asking if he wanted to organise a number of developers to collaborate as I have some skills I could contribute, but got no response. If the XDA "team" takes up development on the Vega, MoDaCo will find it very, very hard to keep pace IMHO.

Guest xathras
Applause...

Sadly, there is a never ending stream of people who think that if they can get something for nothing, then that's all that matters. No more thought goes into it. I've been developing apps for years and am constantly ripped off by people who think because they can get my software for nothing, it's somehow OK to do so.

Even more applause...

Without the existence of this forum I would have had a hell of a time getting my Vega set up properly (including USB Host Mode). I don't care if you call it payment or donation; £10 transformed my machine. Many thanks to Paul and all the others who have contributed. ;)

Guest stevesilk51
Even more applause...

Without the existence of this forum I would have had a hell of a time getting my Vega set up properly (including USB Host Mode). I don't care if you call it payment or donation; £10 transformed my machine. Many thanks to Paul and all the others who have contributed. ;)

Applause x 10,

The guys on this forum have made a marked difference to my vega and helped me out of many scrapes. Loyalty is the name of the game.

l'm. staying put.

Guest princeotter
Even more applause...

Agree wholeheartedly. Without Paul before Xmas we would have been b*gg*red. Nobody else gave a damn about sorting out the Vega initially. The site is also an interesting source of information , discussion etc with helpful hints and workarounds from the likes of Simonta, Silentmobious et al. £10 - christ that's less than 3 pints of beer - very good value as far as I am concerned. I would hate to think that people are ripping off his work and posting it for free on other sites.

Guest Michael74

Hello, first post and all that.

It all boils down to supply and demand and a sprinkiling of capitalism.

If you don't want to pay for it then don't.

There feels like a bit of sour grapes over all this, so what if he has made money on it, thats capitalism comrade.

I for one spent my money and I am pleased that I did, no one forced me.

Hey - I paid - I couldn't be bothered to figure out what to install/not install, although I could have given a little time (me, impatient... no.. it's taken me 2 days to go from "my PC is fine" to "I must have a i7-2600k based system" - just waiting for the CC date to pass ;)). Sour grapes - no... but the incessant defending of Pauls business model sounds a lot like fanbois to me....

Guest Bobbler
Hey - I paid - I couldn't be bothered to figure out what to install/not install, although I could have given a little time (me, impatient... no.. it's taken me 2 days to go from "my PC is fine" to "I must have a i7-2600k based system" - just waiting for the CC date to pass ;)). Sour grapes - no... but the incessant defending of Pauls business model sounds a lot like fanbois to me....

Sorry but what is there to get "fanboy" about the business model of:

Work on something for x amount of hours

Sell the thing you just created for a reasonable rate that people will pay

That's how business works, you work to create/do something, you sell that skill to make money. Just because it's on the web and not some high street shop it's no different.

Guest simonta

Poeple seem to think they're paying £10 for drivers.

1. It is NOT compulsory. If you don't want it, don't have it. Simple!

2. You are NOT paying for the performance pack. You are paying for the online kitchen, Paul's time, the costs of cooking the packs on the servers, bandwidth to run this site and so on.

3. You could stay free and get the ads. Personally, £10 for all of the above plus no ads works for me.

4. You could spend your time building your own add-ons and fixes. Ever tried that? Got any idea how many hours it takes to build and test even basic things?

All very simple really.

Guest spacecadetuk

I look at it like this, would i have paid £260 to get my vega as it is now with marketplace, PP etc, yes i would and been happy to, so to change my Vega from a £250 web browser to what i've got in front of me now for an extra tenner, bargain, and if Paul makes a bit of dosh for his time and costs good luck to him.

Yes i could have probably done it myself eventually after lots of hassle and throwing my Vega across the room in anger when stuff went wrong, but for the price of 20 fags and a pint someone has done the hard work for me and i don't have to put up with ads for 12 months, superb.

Guest carl rose
Poeple seem to think they're paying £10 for drivers.

1. It is NOT compulsory. If you don't want it, don't have it. Simple!

2. You are NOT paying for the performance pack. You are paying for the online kitchen, Paul's time, the costs of cooking the packs on the servers, bandwidth to run this site and so on.

3. You could stay free and get the ads. Personally, £10 for all of the above plus no ads works for me.

4. You could spend your time building your own add-ons and fixes. Ever tried that? Got any idea how many hours it takes to build and test even basic things?

All very simple really.

I don't know in hours but it's about a car's worth. It is a business then? I see, that does not seem like what the android community is all about. I have got the performance pack now. Free repackaged from one of the guys at xda. Gave him a couple of quid for his time. He didn't ask for anything. I just think that £10 is a lot to pay for drivers, this is not an one off payment. It's a subscription! Crazy, I don't care if people say paying £250 for the vega why not pay £10 for the subscription? I got something to show for, for the £250. Pay another £10 to make it faster? It's just silly. It's a question of principle.

Guest warriorscot

I get where some people are coming from in regards to paying but at the end of the day if they don't like it they are free to do it themselves for nothing. There are a few of us that are tech savvy enough that if we really wanted to sit down and spend the time working on it could have produced a performance pack. However most of us don't have the time and would rather pay something to have it done for us and properly tested before we get it.

While I do think £10 per year is a little steep(£10 for a 5 to 10 years or £2-5 per year would be better) its up to paul what the prices are set at and if you have more than once device using a custom rom its not so bad.

At the end of the day there isn't a real collated and well tested custom rom on XDA while modaco is already at version 6 of its custom rom and its functional, well polished and tested.

For the vega, you're paying for the performance pack... Everything else Paul produces is free. The only benefit for a vega user of going ad free (apart from removing ads which is of very limited benefit) is the performance pack.

Got any idea how many hours it takes to build and test even basic things?

Yes. In my day job I manage product software development for linux based set-top box decoders/video recorders. I know how much software costs to develop thank you ;)

As I said, I'm impatient which is why I bought it :)

At the end of the day there isn't a real collated and well tested custom rom on XDA while modaco is already at version 6 of its custom rom and its functional, well polished and tested.

I have a feeling that this won't be the case by the time my £10 subscription runs out ;)

Guest warriorscot
QUOTE(warriorscot @ Jan 15 2011, 20:11)

I have a feeling that this won't be the case by the time my £10 subscription runs out

Maybe, maybe not but that's in the future by that time the Vega will probably have a custom rom that most people are going to be happy with and anything new won't make a huge difference to the device.

And I have the feeling having access to the online kitchen will become more useful as the custom rom advances.

Edited by warriorscot