battery problem

Guest eccehom

Guest eccehom

Hi. I’ve purchased this tablet a week ago and i have a battery issue. When i reach 50-60% discharged from 100%, and i turned the tablet off, on the next reboot the battery falls to 12-20%. But, if i use all the battery without turn it off, it runs normal. Any advice?

Guest simonta
Hi. I’ve purchased this tablet a week ago and i have a battery issue. When i reach 50-60% discharged from 100%, and i turned the tablet off, on the next reboot the battery falls to 12-20%. But, if i use all the battery without turn it off, it runs normal. Any advice?

Sorry, but that's as clear as mud! :D

and i turned the tablet off

Did you power it off or suspend it? I'm guessing suspend as some battery was used but please confirm.

on the next reboot

Do you mean reboot or power on? How long did you leave it?

if i use all the battery without turn it off, it runs normal.

Sweet. You use all the battery and the Vega runs normally!

Guest shadow wave

I think this is the same problem I have. You have say 60% power left. You power off the vega completely by holding down the power button, selecting power off and pressing ok to the shut down message. The next time you turn it on you have say 20% power left. It claims to have lost lots of power while being completely off.

Guest eccehom
Sorry, but that's as clear as mud! :D

Did you power it off or suspend it? I'm guessing suspend as some battery was used but please confirm.

Power off.

Do you mean reboot or power on? How long did you leave it?

Power on. 5 minutes.

Sweet. You use all the battery and the Vega runs normally!

If i don't turn off the tablet (from 50-60% battery left), it discharges normally.

I know, this is so weird, but it happend over 3 times yet. And happens only on 50-60%, i mean, do not on 40% or 70%. And always REINICIATE ON 12% or 20% when i TURN IT ON.

!!!!!!!!!!????????

By the way, thanks :P

Guest eccehom
I think this is the same problem I have. You have say 60% power left. You power off the vega completely by holding down the power button, selecting power off and pressing ok to the shut down message. The next time you turn it on you have say 20% power left. It claims to have lost lots of power while being completely off.

That's the problem. I'm running ROM r6

Guest simonta

Okey dokey, got it. Unfortunately, it's a known issue with the battery indicator sometimes not updating properly. Quite a few posts about it already. Should be able to fix it when the kernel source (finally) gets released.

Guest eccehom
Okey dokey, got it. Unfortunately, it's a known issue with the battery indicator sometimes not updating properly. Quite a few posts about it already. Should be able to fix it when the kernel source (finally) gets released.

Ok, i understand that this is not a battery problem. When the battery indicator marks 20%, I have the amount of battery that it marked when i turned it off. Am i right?

Guest simonta
Ok, i understand that this is not a battery problem. When the battery indicator marks 20%, I have the amount of battery that it marked when i turned it off. Am i right?

Yes, after power on or a reboot, the indicator is right.

Guest eccehom
Yes, after power on or a reboot, the indicator is right.

the indicator still marks the 'fake' number, no matter how many times i turn off/on the device. I mean, if the indicator marks 20%, when i reboot, it still marking 20%. The indicator is not right after the reboot or power on.

Guest simonta
the indicator still marks the 'fake' number, no matter how many times i turn off/on the device. I mean, if the indicator marks 20%, when i reboot, it still marking 20%. The indicator is not right after the reboot or power on.

There is no "fake indicator". It simply doesn't update properly. If you reboot and it says 20%, that's what you've got.

In my experience the battery indicator is very unreliable . I've had it run for an hour, showing 3% left! But when I tested video playing on a full battery it ran for 7 1/4 hrs which is roughly per spec. I'm hoping the indicator gets more accurate over time, maybe?

Guest juliodt

I have the same problem, I'm running r6 too.

Which is battery life browsing with wifi? I bought the tablet three days ago and I can return it

• 3 weeks later...

I have now "proven" (kind've scientifically) what I suspected, that the battery indicator often bears little relation to the true battery state. My Vega often displays this effect of a huge apparent drop in battery level after a "full" power off at middlish charge levels. But in fact the battery level is much higher than indicated. I tested this by fully charging, then running video player for an hour or two at a time, and noting the battery level, then rebooting and noting level again. After 4 hours of videos, the battery level was showing a bit higher than true, but after a reboot that dropped to 19% which was way lower than true. I proved that this was not actually a "real" loss of charge by then watching another 3.3 hours of videos followed by 6 hours standby and a reboot, at which point there was still a tiny bit of charge left. Oh, and after one reboot the reported charge level went up!

Being an engineer I couldn't resist a graph:

post-146660-1296502176_thumb.jpg

So don't despair if you think you've lost loads of charge, you probably haven't.

I don't know if this effect (reported in numerous threads on this forum) is just a Vega thing, or and Android thing, or maybe it's just a Li-Ion thing. Electronics was one of those modules I only studied till I was allowed to drop it...

Edited by wi-fli

Not that I know of - it's still there in MCR v7

6 second hold on the power button to turn off rather than the 1 second then "Turn Off option from the soft menu fixes the problem.

No idea why, but i don't lose battery power when i use this method...

6 second hold on the power button to turn off rather than the 1 second then "Turn Off option from the soft menu fixes the problem.

No idea why, but i don't lose battery power when i use this method...

Thanks for that tip, sounds great. I'll try it when I get home!

Guest Lennyuk

All android devices tend to lose about 5% on boot, if yours doesn't then it will on the next reboot for sure.

I have noticed that the vega often takes about 10 mins or so to show the true battery level once you turn it back on.

I use the app "juice plotter" to keep an eye on the battery life on all my android phones that way you learn its behaviour and know what to expect.

Guest matthijskox

I still have about 5-8% drain during standby with r7 :P

When i turn it off (holding power button for 6 secs), it remains stable.

Anybody else with similar problems or do i just have a poor battery? Performance seems OK during use (not in standby thus).

I still have about 5-8% drain during standby with r7 :P

When i turn it off (holding power button for 6 secs), it remains stable.

Anybody else with similar problems or do i just have a poor battery? Performance seems OK during use (not in standby thus).

standy-by isn't "off", same as your TV, so using it will drain battery. Simple as that.

If you want to conserve power, use the 6 second method, (would be good if someone could change this to 3 secs though).

Is there any potential downside to the "hold the button down for 6 seconds" method of switching off (like killing the mains power on a Windows box can lead to problems)???

Any comments welcome, I'm pretty new to Android.

Cheers

Guest Lennyuk
Is there any potential downside to the "hold the button down for 6 seconds" method of switching off (like killing the mains power on a Windows box can lead to problems)???

Any comments welcome, I'm pretty new to Android.

Cheers

the only real risk is that the sd card might corrupt if its in the process of a write, when you go power menu > shut down it unmounts the sd card before it shuts off which is why it takes a while.

the 6-second method will just shut off, so you risk corrupting the card.

Guest matthijskox
standy-by isn't "off", same as your TV, so using it will drain battery. Simple as that.

If you want to conserve power, use the 6 second method, (would be good if someone could change this to 3 secs though).

I am aware of this, but 5-8& an hour is not normal in my opinion!

Edited by matthijskox

I am aware of this, but 5-8& an hour is not normal in my opinion!

I think a lot of that is down to the accuracy of the app which monitors the battery level in the first place. Ignore the %'s, but hard power down will certainly fix the issue :P

It also depends whats running the background too ...

For example Ebuddy absolutly kills the battery on standby as its constantly trying to poll the server whether it has a connection or not.

Also why hold the power button down for 6 seconds?

Why not just hold it down for a couple of seconds and choose Power Off ... its a far cleaner way of shutting down the Vega. Holding down the power button shuts the Vega down in an unclean manner and could lead to data corruption quite easily. Its like shutting down a Windows machine by holding the power button down ... do it enough times and you will badword your Windows install up eventually.