battery problem

Guest eccehom

It also depends whats running the background too ...

For example Ebuddy absolutly kills the battery on standby as its constantly trying to poll the server whether it has a connection or not.

Also why hold the power button down for 6 seconds?

Why not just hold it down for a couple of seconds and choose Power Off ... its a far cleaner way of shutting down the Vega. Holding down the power button shuts the Vega down in an unclean manner and could lead to data corruption quite easily. Its like shutting down a Windows machine by holding the power button down ... do it enough times and you will badword your Windows install up eventually.

no idea why, but this seems to still run the battery down. The only foolproof way to do it is to "6 second press" the hard key.

Guest Lennyuk
no idea why, but this seems to still run the battery down. The only foolproof way to do it is to "6 second press" the hard key.

as I said above, this method is a proper shut down, the battery loss you refer too is due to several things

- android being incapable of correctly signalling the battery level for about 10 mins after a boot

- the extra time it takes to "unmount" your sd card safely on shut down

- booting

Android tends to use about 5% battery in a fully shut down/ boot up process. if you cut out the "shut down" part you might save yourself 1% or so, but nothing major.

Android tends to use about 5% battery in a fully shut down/ boot up process.

I don't believe that ... 5% ? ... So if you shut down and rebooted your Vega 20 times you would have a dead battery? .. Sorry thats rubbish.

As I said the 'hold down for 6 seconds' should only really be used if the device becomes unresponsive ... You really shouldnt be using that method to shut the device down. By all means completly shut the device down if you like ... I do as well sometimes to save battery, but not by holding the power button down.

Guest Lennyuk
I don't believe that ... 5% ? ... So if you shut down and rebooted your Vega 20 times you would have a dead battery? .. Sorry thats rubbish.

As I said the 'hold down for 6 seconds' should only really be used if the device becomes unresponsive ... You really shouldnt be using that method to shut the device down. By all means completly shut the device down if you like ... I do as well sometimes to save battery, but not by holding the power button down.

its not rubbish, try any android device 9/10 it will lose 5% on each reboot

my hero did it

my desire did it

my desire z does it

and now the vega does it too.

There is no "fake indicator". It simply doesn't update properly. If you reboot and it says 20%, that's what you've got.

I am having trouble as noted i this thread along with few other issues but this one is pain in the backside

I am not quite understanding though does the battery lose charge or not. Also is this problem common to all vegas?

Is there fix to the problem if so?

I am having trouble as noted i this thread along with few other issues but this one is pain in the backside

I am not quite understanding though does the battery lose charge or not. Also is this problem common to all vegas?

Is there fix to the problem if so?

No, the battery does not actually lose charge. If you look at my graph on the first page of this thread, when I shut the Vega down after 4 hours running and rebooted, it showed only 19% battery when in fact it then ran on for another 3.3 hours video playing plus 6 hours standby, which equates to about 44% actual battery level. Likewise when I repeated the whole "off-on" thing after 5 hours, it reported only 8% charge left, but still ran on for 2.3 hours video playing plus 6 hours standby, which equates to about 30% actual charge left. So after a switch off and back on, the battery meter simply under reports the true level.

I find this to be a pain not not a really bad thing, as the battery life is actually very good.

I'm going to try the "hold for 6 seconds" power off to see if that fixes it, but only after going into settings and unmounting the sd card, to avoid the potential card corruption that might otherwise occur. Unfortunately my Vega is currently fairly full of charge, so it won't prove anything yet. I generally get this meter problem if switching off at charge levels down below 60% or so.

the only real risk is that the sd card might corrupt if its in the process of a write, when you go power menu > shut down it unmounts the sd card before it shuts off which is why it takes a while.

the 6-second method will just shut off, so you risk corrupting the card.

Thanks for this tip Lenny, I will unmount the sd card first!

its not rubbish, try any android device 9/10 it will lose 5% on each reboot

my hero did it

my desire did it

my desire z does it

and now the vega does it too.

Well I'm sorry but neither my Vega nor my Acer Liquid lose any battery life when I shut down and reboot.

There is absolutely no reason why they should ... obviously rebooting uses power ... but 5% ... sorry that's just wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Slight necropost

I have been having issues with battery as noted by others, shut down around the 40 - 60% mark and it reboots 12 - 20% battery life left

I'd be interested to know if this a problem with all Vega's or only affects some people

Once you have the custom rom on it it is a great pice of kit, but this is a seriously annoying problem. Is it software or hardware related does anyone know?

I am considering returning because of this but not sure if a replacement would have the same issue

Appreciate others thoughts

My guess is they all do it, but that most people rarely turn their Vegas fully off, so don't generally notice. The only thing that keeps me from being really annoyed by it is the fact that it's only a drop in indicated level, NOT a drop in actual battery level.

Guest matthijskox

Hi,

I finally sorted the battery-drain-in-standby issue! I formatted my SD card and reinstalled the firmware (POV 1.09) while SD card was not inserted. Then inserted SD card and now i only lose 0.8-1% and hour!

Hi,

I finally sorted the battery-drain-in-standby issue! I formatted my SD card and reinstalled the firmware (POV 1.09) while SD card was not inserted. Then inserted SD card and now i only lose 0.8-1% and hour!

I have a feeling you're talking about a different problem here than this thread is mainly on about - ie. battery drain in standby, as opposed to apparent battery drain in 60 seconds when turning fully off and then on again?

• 1 month later...
Guest G0OSE

Just to say i have noticed this weird battery thing too, last night I completely shut down my vega - ie right off, there was 78% left.

Switched it on today at a kids party (to keep myself amused for 2 hrs) when it powered up - 27% left, then evntually told me to connect the charger.

as far as I know this has happened twice at least now.

Guest carl rose
Just to say i have noticed this weird battery thing too, last night I completely shut down my vega - ie right off, there was 78% left.

Switched it on today at a kids party (to keep myself amused for 2 hrs) when it powered up - 27% left, then evntually told me to connect the charger.

I have the same problem, I think this affects all vegas. Thsi can be down to the firmware or down to the kernel. Just my opinion.

Guest sipart

Same issue here for a while. I tried a power off at 55% and then back on again a few mins later and battery had only dropped to 53% but once off again (for approximately 14 hours) it had dropped to 27% when it was back on???

So the idea that the battery charge level is out of sync/behind and a power off and on forces it to read correctly doesn't add up as my initial power off and on only showed a normal drop for a power down and startup, it only screwed up after leaving off overnight?

Edited by sipart

Guest tricky1981uk

Hi

My Advent Vega is also experiencing this problem. I'm running MoDaCo Custom ROM R8.

Does this also happen with stock rom 1.09 does anyone know?? or is it just the MoDaCo custom rom causing the problem?

Thanks

Guest tricky1981uk
Hi

My Advent Vega is also experiencing this problem. I'm running MoDaCo Custom ROM R8.

Does this also happen with stock rom 1.09 does anyone know?? or is it just the MoDaCo custom rom causing the problem?

Thanks

Tried unmounting SD card and turning it off by holding power button for 6 secs at 57% and it came back on at 56%, did this 3 times but the 3rd time it came back on at 96%?? and has stayed around that since even after a normal shut down!!

Usually if I switch off normally at 50-60% it will come back on at around 22% and stay at that.

Guest wi-fli
Same issue here for a while. I tried a power off at 55% and then back on again a few mins later and battery had only dropped to 53% but once off again (for approximately 14 hours) it had dropped to 27% when it was back on???

So the idea that the battery charge level is out of sync/behind and a power off and on forces it to read correctly doesn't add up as my initial power off and on only showed a normal drop for a power down and startup, it only screwed up after leaving off overnight?

My experience (unlike yours, clearly) is that I can quite often turn my Vega off at fifty-something percent battery (say), and then straight back on again, and it will show somewhere down in the low twenties. But now and then it doesn't do it - though mostly it does.

I think it's likely that all Vegas do this, but most people don't notice as they has hardly ever fully power them off.

And bear in mind the apparent drop in battery charge is totally bogus - it's just a metering glitch. As many people have said in many threads here before, you have to take the "battery meter" reading with a huge pinch of salt...