Nice Bluetooth Keyboard

Guest tdroza

May not be as useful now that we have USB host, but thought I'd post this anyway as may still be useful for some. I've just seen this in the latest eBuyer newsletter - it's a nice looking mini Bluetooth keyboard (I don't have one and haven't actually tried it). Should work on the Vega? Not bad for £20...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/222811

Guest sephwhy
May not be as useful now that we have USB host, but thought I'd post this anyway as may still be useful for some. I've just seen this in the latest eBuyer newsletter - it's a nice looking mini Bluetooth keyboard (I don't have one and haven't actually tried it). Should work on the Vega? Not bad for £20...

I have this keyboard for my HTPC and couldn't get it to pair with my Desire or my Vega. After reading the product discussion I discovered this nugget from a memeber of eBuyer staff:

ok i've done some testing on this and spoken to the manufacturer. they use the Bluetooth HID protocol in this keyboard which simplifies host connection and doesnt require a passkey to pair the device. current versions of android do not support Bluetooth HID. Google need to incorporate this into android for this keyboard to be able to pair with android devices.

But it is an awesome little keyboard, and hopefully will get sorted in the future.

I have this keyboard for my HTPC and couldn't get it to pair with my Desire or my Vega.

Okay, that's a shame. Thanks for the useful feedback - saved me wasting £20!

Guest rvdgeer
Just FYI - Bluetooth HID devices are supported on the Galaxy S, so some Android users are good to go with this.

Has anyone tried to use it with BlueKeyboard JP?

It seems like this app adds Bluetooth HID to an Android device, but I don't know if such a thing is possible at all...

Guest rvdgeer
I'll give it a go this evening

Thank you!

I almost bought a bt keyboard just like this one...

Before I will, it would be nice to know if it will work...

As I understood it, you need to pair the keyboard to the Vega first...

(Will show 'paired, but not connected', if all is OK...)

Next, you got to the BlueKeyboard JP settings and select the bt keyboard...

Now long click any input field and select BlueKeyboard JP as the default input method...

Would be great if you can post back if it works for you!

EDIT: Just read your first post in this topic again and noticed you mentioned it didn't even pair...

Is that correct or did it pair, but just wouldn't connect?

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest sephwhy
Thank you!

Now long click any input field and select BlueKeyboard JP as the default input method...

EDIT: Just read your first post in this topic again and noticed you mentioned it didn't even pair...

Hmmm, now you're asking. I basically went around my house with the keyboard trying to connect it to anything that had BT, with varying levels of success. I think I might have got to the 'Paired but not connected' stage with the Vega, but I'll have to check later.

Guest SilentMobius

FYI the basic AOSP Android build does _not_ support the bluetooth HID profile. However CM6 does, it is one of the major reasons I've waiting for the kernel source so we can get a reliable CM6/7 build that supports bluetooth HID

Guest rvdgeer
FYI the basic AOSP Android build does _not_ support the bluetooth HID profile. However CM6 does, it is one of the major reasons I've waiting for the kernel source so we can get a reliable CM6/7 build that supports bluetooth HID

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying that the kernel of a device needs to support Bluetooth HID, otherwise there's nothing you can do to make a Bluetooth HID device work on it?!

Guest SilentMobius
So, if I understand correctly, you are saying that the kernel of a device needs to support Bluetooth HID, otherwise there's nothing you can do to make a Bluetooth HID device work on it?!

Kinda, the components for HID support are mostly in userspace actually but having full kernel support will make getting a reliable port of Cyanogenmod much more likely and CM6 has pretty good BT HID support.

No app is going to provide BT HID support that is robust enough, it needs to be part of the framework to be usable. The Vega has no BT HID support at all.

Guest HunteronX
Kinda, the components for HID support are mostly in userspace actually but having full kernel support will make getting a reliable port of Cyanogenmod much more likely and CM6 has pretty good BT HID support.

No app is going to provide BT HID support that is robust enough, it needs to be part of the framework to be usable. The Vega has no BT HID support at all.

Have a look here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914540

Guest sephwhy
Thank you!

Okay sorry for the delay in posting, my weekend didn't pan out exactly as expected

So after some playing about I've had some success. I'm writing this using the BT keyboard and my vega however due to keyboard layout issues I can only occasionally use full stops and commas, not sure why.

I have managed to pair the keyboard by giving the passkey 0000 to android when prompted and then typing 0000 and enter into the BT keyboard straight after. This gets me to 'paired but not connected' status. Then I installed bluekeyboard jp and pretty much followed the workflow you've suggested. After trying out the different keyboard layouts I've settled with the US QWERTY as it seems to have pretty much all the buttons mapped correctly [and now the fullstop/comma buttons seem to work fine, although there are no brackets actually on the keyboard]. The arrow keys also come in quite useful for moving aound text, but watch out when holding down the delete button, it's pretty enthusiastic.

All in all I'd say it works quite well and as I've been writing this the experience seems to have improved. As for the keyboard itself, it's not without its quirks. The keys are laid out in chocolate style rather than offset like normal but you get used to it. Also the space bar is quite small and there are no proper brackets symbols. But the keyboard is a great size - about 3inches smaller in both directions than the vega and about the same thickness. For 20 quid you can't complain (especially when I paid 25). Oh and there we go, just found the brackets, just me being bit slow.

Edited by sephwhy

Guest rvdgeer
Okay sorry for the delay in posting, my weekend didn't pan out exactly as expected

So after some playing about I've had some success. I'm writing this using the BT keyboard and my vega however due to keyboard layout issues I can only occasionally use full stops and commas, not sure why.

I have managed to pair the keyboard by giving the passkey 0000 to android when prompted and then typing 0000 and enter into the BT keyboard straight after. This gets me to 'paired but not connected' status. Then I installed bluekeyboard jp and pretty much followed the workflow you've suggested. After trying out the different keyboard layouts I've settled with the US QWERTY as it seems to have pretty much all the buttons mapped correctly [and now the fullstop/comma buttons seem to work fine, although there are no brackets actually on the keyboard]. The arrow keys also come in quite useful for moving aound text, but watch out when holding down the delete button, it's pretty enthusiastic.

All in all I'd say it works quite well and as I've been writing this the experience seems to have improved. As for the keyboard itself, it's not without its quirks. The keys are laid out in chocolate style rather than offset like normal but you get used to it. Also the space bar is quite small and there are no proper brackets symbols. But the keyboard is a great size - about 3inches smaller in both directions than the vega and about the same thickness. For 20 quid you can't complain (especially when I paid 25). Oh and there we go, just found the brackets, just me being bit slow.

Thanks for the info!

Great to see it's working...

Will definitely consider buying it!

Guest SilentMobius

I'm aware of that build hence why I said "reliable port" that build is reusing the advent kernel which causes many problems, and results in a number of missing CM6 features.

I've found that any of the apk-based solutions to bluetooth keyboards are _very_ flakey when you need to connect-disconnect frequently (most of them only connect to the keyboard when the soft keyboards would normally pop up and disconnect after)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just used the suggestions in ebuyer and managed to connect to google nexus with keyboard. Need to reset id each time and then seems to connect need to look again. User instruction minimal. Wondered how to drive the HTC back, settings, home and search hotkeys. Anyone got any ideas ?

Richard

• 1 month later...
Guest oldhippy

That looks a fine keyboard.. but has anyone tried the (Dare I say it here) apple wireless keyboard? This is nice in aluminium and Bluetooth too. I have the wired verson on my studio mac.. But might just be the stylish keyboard for the vega too...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ccs-digital
Does anyone know if this keyboard could be used with the vega and with a bluetooth app from the market?

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=110621

I know it says "Does not work with Andriod versions older than 2.3 or any OS not listed above"

Got something very similar a while ago (not from 7DS) primarily for use with my HTC phone (on Android 2.2) but couldn't get it to work, despite trying several BT apps from the Market.

Not tried it on the Vega or Commtiva tab, might dig it out and have another go.

Guest meehog

How have you found the BT keyboard working with your vega's wireless? I bought a set of Bluetooth headphones for streaming tv shows but the BT and wireless don't play nice, they interfere with each other, I think they're on the same antenna, the BT works fine but it makes streaming impossible. :-(

Guest dexta211

Did the mouse/joystick and scroll arrangment work?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest hotbullet79

Hi I want to share with you all something.

today i bought an apple chinese keyboard (Fake from Thailand) when i scanned for BT if found.. but while pairing and connecting it just doesn't connect.

what i did was rather than only typing 0000 on my phone i also typed 0000 on my keyboard and it just connected.

i suggest you all try this same.

i am using motorola atrix 4 g.

hope this thing is useful.