Dual boot roms

Guest AceOfSpades

Guest AceOfSpades

Hi, I just wondered whether this would be possible, seeing as the roms are ~100MB in space and we have (I think) ~500MB of internal memory for roms, would it be possible to partition this, and mod clockwork recovery for dual roms (select which to boot from clockwork).

I imagine this would be really useful for devs as they could have a fully working rom and some more experimental stuff at the same time, it would also be great just for ROM testing etc.

Apologies if this has been asked already

Guest IronDoc

Not to say anything (positive or negative) about the possibility of the rest of it, but we don't have '500MB memory for ROMs'. We have 500MB of memory for everything, including data, boot and recovery.

Guest isambard
Hi, I just wondered whether this would be possible, seeing as the roms are ~100MB in space and we have (I think) ~500MB of internal memory for roms, would it be possible to partition this, and mod clockwork recovery for dual roms (select which to boot from clockwork).

I imagine this would be really useful for devs as they could have a fully working rom and some more experimental stuff at the same time, it would also be great just for ROM testing etc.

Apologies if this has been asked already

i guess this would be possible you could create 2 data and 2 user partitions etc. and put a stub in choose which to boot into. not sure if this would be any use except possible for development. not sure it is much value for end users though.

the msm7227 cpu is capable of booting from sd card, nothing to stop trying for windows phone 7 instead

1. Closed System based on optimized win CE

2. Drivers

Guest El Nino9
HD2 runs windows phone 7 pretty well. This may be due to similar hardware to WP7 HTC devices.

android devices can only run android!

windows devices can run windows and android and anything else that devs can port depending on hardware. HD2 is the best "dev" phone out there in regards to what it can run and has a huge community. now with that said i will try answer the main question.

KENDON has already done a dual boot for the HTC hero back in the day. yep he has a SF but stopped developing for it, but i dont want to get into that. i respect him highly so yea. if you got to their site and you can search there for the dual boot method used. you will need to partition your SD card.

that said you will be dual booting two android roms. also another user has already posted it up here dual booting thread fround on XDA

Guest uncorrupted

My thread on xda was linked to and it is easy to get something working on one specific phone, but trying to get this working on most phones has been a challenge. Some are able to use loop devices, some can mount ext partitions in init.rc and some can't do either. I should be releasing it in the next Satori so, as it is working on a number of phones.

KENDON has already done a dual boot for the HTC hero back in the day. yep he has a SF but stopped developing for it, but i dont want to get into that. i respect him highly so yea. if you got to their site and you can search there for the dual boot method used. you will need to partition your SD card.

that said you will be dual booting two android roms. also another user has already posted it up here dual booting thread fround on XDA

i made a script some time ago for the hero that does the necessary modifications to the sdcard and the boot.img's of the respective roms. what it does is creating two EXT2 partitions on the sdcard, and use these as additional /data and /system. then modify the mountpoints in init.rc (in boot.img) and you can boot from basically everywhere.

the downside is: there is no such thing as boot menu. to select either of the roms you need to flash the corresponding boot.img. the recovery image becomes almost useless, as it is not aware of the juggled partitions. no nandroid either. easy to break everything.

there are better methods tho, iirc using loopmounted EXT2 partitions. i saw a script on xda that uses the same kernel/boot.img to boot different /system partitions, it even had the option to start the other rom from the currently booted one. it was for the hd2 iirc, i never cared to port it to any other device, but it should be possible.

oh and edit:

android devices can only run android!

you stated it wrong. windows mobile/phone can only run on windows devices, that is the problem. android devices could run windows just as well, but it is literally impossible to "hack" windows on them as it is totally closed source, while you can modify and compile android for just about every device you want.

Edited by kendon

Guest El Nino9
i made a script some time ago for the hero that does the necessary modifications to the sdcard and the boot.img's of the respective roms. what it does is creating two EXT2 partitions on the sdcard, and use these as additional /data and /system. then modify the mountpoints in init.rc (in boot.img) and you can boot from basically everywhere.

the downside is: there is no such thing as boot menu. to select either of the roms you need to flash the corresponding boot.img. the recovery image becomes almost useless, as it is not aware of the juggled partitions. no nandroid either. easy to break everything.

there are better methods tho, iirc using loopmounted EXT2 partitions. i saw a script on xda that uses the same kernel/boot.img to boot different /system partitions, it even had the option to start the other rom from the currently booted one. it was for the hd2 iirc, i never cared to port it to any other device, but it should be possible.

oh and edit:

you stated it wrong. windows mobile/phone can only run on windows devices, that is the problem. android devices could run windows just as well, but it is literally impossible to "hack" windows on them as it is totally closed source, while you can modify and compile android for just about every device you want.

LOL thats for the info about dual boot.

and about the windows thing i just wanted to put it into noob terms because im tired of this question being asked so many times.

we can barely run android on the blade in terms of the RIL issue, no roms except ones released/leaked for providers.

Guest IronDoc

Couldn't you flash the other boot.img to recovery? Or does that not work?

Couldn't you flash the other boot.img to recovery? Or does that not work?

might work, but tell that to a noob with a locked spl... f-up both roms and you more or less have a brick.

lost interest in this, i don't really see the point in dualbooting. also at one point i stopped flashing my phone and started using it, and then you want ONE rom that works, not two that don't.

Guest Phoenix Silver
might work, but tell that to a noob with a locked spl... f-up both roms and you more or less have a brick.

lost interest in this, i don't really see the point in dualbooting. also at one point i stopped flashing my phone and started using it, and then you want ONE rom that works, not two that don't.

one rom for day to day use and one for testing ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest uncorrupted

After looking over several different scripts including kendons and working with them I finally went a different direction as each one was for a specific phone. Yes, Kendon's worked on mine with some modifications, but I started to work on getting it to work on the EVO, and then another and another. Turns out that making it work on multiple phones was a challenge as each one has different specs, kernels and mount-points. For me I like my Sense-based ROMs, however they do tend to slow some things down, including some games. Others like the look, feel and speed of an aosp rom (especially CM7). So for them to switch back to Sense or whatever UI it is they have to update or do some testing, they can easily do it with out backing up and restoring. I'm finalizing my scripts now, which are ran through recovery to set up the roms, and once you do that it's a matter of running a script in the gscript app and when it reboots you are in the other rom. You can even make a shortcut to the script on your home screen.