CifsManager Setup

Guest remlap

Guest Pombolo
You are really a bit beyond my knowledge level (read that as can someone else help please?) but it sounds a little like it is having trouble finding the mount point or sdcard - I assume you are letting cifsmanager create the folders etc - if you create them yourself everything is case sensitive.

Best I can offer I'm afraid.

G

yep, Cifsmanager create the folder itself, i thank you and i m going to try and try ;)

i ve the same problem with other cifs apps so it s not the app, it s a point.

Guest Jon Clarke

Hi

I also keep getting the'no such device' error message and a similar thing occurs in Mount Manager. The share address details are identical to those used in ES Explorer and this connects to my NAS with no problems, so that shouldn't be the issue. I did however notice a reference in the Cifsmanager settings to the cifs.ko file in the /system/lib/modules folder but I don't seem to have either this file or the folder on the vega. Could this be the cause of the problem & if so does anyone know where I can find a copy?

Thanks

Jon

PS My vega is running 1.06.5 PP with versons 2 & 3 of the MCR installed

Guest zzleezz

My CIFS was working perfectly until today, getting same errors reported here. Was confused for a while then I discovered the reason.

I had run the USB slave/host utility when I noticed my vega was for some reason in Host mode. Switched it back to slave and thats when my problems started. Seems that when you do this the kernel is changed to an older (1.06 i think) version and this doesnt contain CIFS support ;)

Reflashed the new kernel and all is good again.

Guest Jon Clarke
My CIFS was working perfectly until today, getting same errors reported here. Was confused for a while then I discovered the reason.

I had run the USB slave/host utility when I noticed my vega was for some reason in Host mode. Switched it back to slave and thats when my problems started. Seems that when you do this the kernel is changed to an older (1.06 i think) version and this doesnt contain CIFS support ;)

Reflashed the new kernel and all is good again.

I noticed this earlier thanks to a post on another thread and reflashed the new kernel. Unfortunately I am now getting an 'Out of Memory' error message, so I still can't mount my NAS drive using CIFS although ES Explorer works fine using the same settings. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rvdgeer

Some help needed here!

Let's start by saying I did my fair share of searching, but wasn't able to solve this myself...

I have the MCR r8 installed and working great...

However, up till now I'm unsuccessful at setting up cifs...

Recently I bought a Belkin Home Base and use it to create a NAS from an external usb hdd...

This seems to work just great, however I'm unable to mount the shared drive to my tablet :D

What I did:

1. Make sure the drive is shared: check! (I can see the drive on my Win 7 PC)

2. Install cifsmanager from the android market on my tablet: check!

3. Fill in the correct path to the shared drive in cifsmanager: check! (HOMEBASE/TB(A1))

4. Create the corresponding local path with cifsmanager: check! (local path /mnt/cifs/tb was created)

5. Enter user name and password: check! (Shouldn't be necessary: tried both with and without these.)

6. Tap the entry to mount the drive: check! (Also tried long clicking > Mount.)

Problem:

It just won't mount!

I believe it returns something about an invalid argument!

(Sorry, will give the exact error later, if needed...)

Questions:

Do I need to set anything up in cifsmanager settings?

The Home Base ads (A1) to the end of the drive name, is this a problem?

Should there be a file called cifs.ko somewhere on my device? And if it's not there, where can I get it?

I've used Pauls latest USB home/slave switcher (which should be using the cifs enabled kernel). Can the cause any trouble?

Any help would be appreciated...

If you need more info, please tell me and I will try to provide it...

I've had limited success with CIFSManager but have found that on my Lacie NAS box, I could only connect the root of the default shares i.e. Lacie has 2 shares MyShare (private) & openshare (public). I can only create a mapping as follows;

\\NAS_NAME\openshare

and not to

\\NAS_NAME\openshare\other_folder

Despite much head scratching, can't get it to connect to anything other than the 'default' shares,

Guest rvdgeer
I've had limited success with CIFSManager but have found that on my Lacie NAS box, I could only connect the root of the default shares i.e. Lacie has 2 shares MyShare (private) & openshare (public). I can only create a mapping as follows;

\\NAS_NAME\openshare

and not to

\\NAS_NAME\openshare\other_folder

Despite much head scratching, can't get it to connect to anything other than the 'default' shares,

Thanks for the comment!

I am trying to connect to the root of the shared drive, but to no success...

Guest gavinlew

So, I take my tablet install CIFSmanager , using MCR r8 , 2.6.32.9_MCK_r2_slave and get permission denied when trying to mount the share.

Take my desire running Oxygen and install CIFSmanager everything worked correctly first time and I have my shares mounted over the wireless network.

Checked settings on both devices, exactly the same, yet the tablet just returns Permission Denied.

Guest gavinlew
So, I take my tablet install CIFSmanager , using MCR r8 , 2.6.32.9_MCK_r2_slave and get permission denied when trying to mount the share.

Take my desire running Oxygen and install CIFSmanager everything worked correctly first time and I have my shares mounted over the wireless network.

Checked settings on both devices, exactly the same, yet the tablet just returns Permission Denied.

Well CIFS manager doesnt play ball on the Vega , Mount Manager however works fine and mounted the share first time.

Gavin

Guest SmileyMan73
Well CIFS manager doesnt play ball on the Vega , Mount Manager however works fine and mounted the share first time.

Gavin

Think I solved it....

Use IP/SHARENAME Syntax and you must enter a user name. Just use "guest" for open shares.

Works perfect then with MCKv2.

• 1 month later...
Guest bennji_boy
Think I solved it....

Use IP/SHARENAME Syntax and you must enter a user name. Just use "guest" for open shares.

Works perfect then with MCKv2.

I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this, keep getting permission denied, can anyone help?

I'm not sure where the user and password needs to come from, I've used one of the users on my pc and used the password.

Does it matter that the files on my pc are ntfs rather than fat?

I couldn't see the share with everyone option on the folder on my pc (XP) so used the 'share this folder on the network' option

What am I doing wrong

Guest mahousaru

If you are sharing from a nix server, it only seems to work with user or other rights, group rights don't seem to work....

Edited by mahousaru

Guest bennji_boy
If you are sharing from a nix server, it only seems to work with user or other rights, group rights don't seem to work....

What's a nix server? Sorry to be so thick like but what does group rights mean also?

I've got a Windows XP pc connected to my wireless, the Vega is connected to the wireless.

I have multiple users set up on the PC some with passwords and some without and some folders that I have set to shared (using the 'share this folder with the network' option. Does the shared folder need to be under the user in the hierarchy or can it come straight from the C: drive.

Anyway the users are different to the computer name which (as far as I can see) has no option to create a password???

My hierarchy is

Computer name:

COMPUTER (no password)

Users:

USER1 (Password)

USER2 (No Password

Folders:

C:\Folder 1 (Shared)

C:\Folder 2 (not shared)

C:\Documents and Settings/USER1/Folder 3 (Shared)

C:\Documents and Settings/USER1/Folder 4 (not Shared)

C:\Documents and Settings/USER2/Folder 5 (Shared)

C:\Documents and Settings/USER2/Folder 6 (not Shared)

How do I set it p?

• 3 weeks later...