[KERNEL] Dev - Kernel INFO Posts ONLY

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

As a number people are very interested in such things, and GPL and all that .....

Here is a break down of the kernels I've used

ZTE-Blade

de-Orangeated & de-Bouyguesed

Uses the kernel that ships with the stock firmware

de-Chinaed, de-Softened & de-crossed

Uses a custom built 2.6.32 kernel.

Source

.config

Clockwork Recovery & RA_Recovery

Uses a custom built 2.6.29

Source

Patch

.config

ZTE V9/Optus My Tab

Clockwork Recovery

Uses the kernel that ships with the stock firmware

ZTE Joe/Vodafone 945

Clockwork Recovery

Source

Patch

.config

ZTE Racer

Clockwork Recovery

Source

Patch

.config

kk_changedfiles.zip

.config_2.6.29.zip

.config_2.6.32.zip

joe_changedfiles.zip

.config_joe.zip

mooncake_changedfiles.zip

.config_mooncake.zip

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

How to build your own Kernel

There are numerous guides on the internet that cover this, but in essence here are the steps to follow:

Firstly download the SDK the configure your build environment as detailed here, it is probably worth your while fully following the instructions fully to ensure you can correctly build everything you'd like.

Next, download/install the NDK as detailed here.

Once your environment is set up you can download the Kernel Source code and any other files required.

Uncompress the Kernel source code, apply any patches and place the config file into the root of your kernel source code renaming it to be .config

alternatively you can download the config file from you device, it is located in /proc/config.gz and will need to be decompressed and renamed.

Once your ready to build, use the following command from the base of your kernel source.

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=~myandroid/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi- $1

*Depending on the version of the SDK/NDK used you may need to change the path used in the CROSS_COMPILE parameter

if all goes well, you should find your kernel in the arch/arm/boot/zImage subdirectory.

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest metzench

Hi Sebastian,

would it be possible that you recompile the kernel with tun enabled? Having the tun.ko kernel module would be really nice to get my vpn client up and running.

Or can compile the kernel myself and ad only the kernel module to the tree? Not really sure about this. I would have to get some info on how to compile the android kernel itself. Do you have some infos to read about that?

Should the KK_changedfiles be merged into that then?

Regards and keep up the good work.

Christian

P.S.: Kernel compilation is not the big problem, i´m developing a linux distro for several years now, so only some hints are needed.

Edited by metzench

Guest hecatae
why my post has been deleted ?

was a legitimate question to know if i can compile the kernel in a 32 bits environment ?

yes you can compile in a 32 bit environment.

I'll create a new thread for you

Guest Sebastian404
Hi Sebastian,

would it be possible that you recompile the kernel with tun enabled? Having the tun.ko kernel module would be really nice to get my vpn client up and running.

Or can compile the kernel myself and ad only the kernel module to the tree? Not really sure about this. I would have to get some info on how to compile the android kernel itself. Do you have some infos to read about that?

Should the KK_changedfiles be merged into that then?

I guess you should be able to do a make menuconfig and enable it that way

the KK_changedfiles is not a traditional patch, but f you unzip it into the base of your kernel source tree, it overwrites 4 (?) files that fixes the screen issues with ZTE's source.

Guest Sebastian404
why my post has been deleted ?

was a legitimate question to know if i can compile the kernel in a 32 bits environment ?

I dunno why your post went, maybe because the thread got moved/renamed?

you can build 2.6.29 in a 32 bit environment, but 2.6.32 requires 64bit... or some hacking which I'm not going to recommend.

Guest kallt_kaffe
I guess you should be able to do a make menuconfig and enable it that way

the KK_changedfiles is not a traditional patch, but f you unzip it into the base of your kernel source tree, it overwrites 4 (?) files that fixes the screen issues with ZTE's source.

Those files are fixes for the 2.6.29 source to fix some things that ZTE forgot to include when they release the source, will most likely break 2.6.32 if applied (and 2.6.32 doesn't need them anyway)

Guest kallt_kaffe
I dunno why your post went, maybe because the thread got moved/renamed?

you can build 2.6.29 in a 32 bit environment, but 2.6.32 requires 64bit... or some hacking which I'm not going to recommend.

I build 2.6.32 in a virutal 32-bit Ubuntu machine. No hacking required. Asfaik it is compiling Android 2.3+ that needs some hacks if you want to compile on a 32-bit machine.

Guest oh!dougal
yes you can compile in a 32 bit environment.

I'll create a new thread for you

To try and keep clean information ONLY in this thread, the 32-bit compiling thread can be found

here - http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...it-environment/

And another thread that Hecatae created, attempts to catalogue the various different githubs that have other parts and patches of the source code story ...

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad.../330792/github/

If we can collect actual information in this pinned thread (and try very hard to keep any discussion and comment in ordinary forum threads) then, perhaps, we can build a small resource where, hopefully, the information can actually be found by anyone seeking enlightenment!

Edited by oh!dougal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to build kernel modules for the leaked .35 kernel despite not having the source code?

Want cifs, ext4, swap, fuse, ntfs, etc

Guest t0mm13b

Would it be possible to build kernel modules for the leaked .35 kernel despite not having the source code?

Want cifs, ext4, swap, fuse, ntfs, etc

That's a tricky one here... best bet is to look around and see if you can get another rom that has .35 (and see if you can extract the lib modules...) maybe hecatae who has .35 rom for LG 500, might be able to use it - no guarantee though, he could recompile it with vmsplit2g, and create the modules....

That's a tricky one here... best bet is to look around and see if you can get another rom that has .35 (and see if you can extract the lib modules...) maybe hecatae who has .35 rom for LG 500, might be able to use it - no guarantee though, he could recompile it with vmsplit2g, and create the modules....

I've tried modules compiled for the stock (2.6.35.7) kernel for an arm6 Samsung (I forget the model number), no luck, they wouldn't load at all.

Somebody found a tun.ko that works though, I don't know where from or how it was compiled.

Edited by wbaw

Guest t0mm13b

I've tried modules compiled for the stock (2.6.35.7) kernel for an arm6 Samsung (I forget the model number), no luck, they wouldn't load at all.

Somebody found a tun.ko that works though, I don't know where from or how it was compiled.

The secret - look under the gsf leaked kernel, check the kernel's version under .35 - if it says '2.6.35.7-perf', and extract the kernel config for that version and if it says

CONFIG_MODULES=y

# CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_LOAD is not set

CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y

CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD=y

# CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set <----------!!!!!!

# CONFIG_MODULE_SRCVERSION_ALL is not set <----------!!!!!!

The above are okay, meaning not tied to any kernel version.... if it's set... well... get another .35.7 source somewhere - againset the extra locals version to match that as of the gsf leaked kernel (be on the safe side here...), for example, if there's -perf appended, apply it here also

CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-perf"

and recompile then, you should be okie there and then :) .35.7 is hard to come by as there's CAF version is a b**t**d to get going on blade. (Have tried .35.7, .35.9, .35.10, .35.11 and failed)