honeycomb

Guest brutus66

Guest warriorscot

Looks good, it looks like a pretty polished implementation at the moment. Big question is how well will it transfer to other hardware platforms and will the Vega be compatible.

Guest m_liddell

I had seen some discussion about how well Honeycomb would work on the Advent Vega 1024 x 600 screen size and was curious so I downloaded the Android Emulator for Google and made a virtual machine with the Advent Vega resolution.

It looks usable but screen resolution does look a bit low. (Not as good as the Motorola Xoom at 1280 x 800.)

Browser would need a full screen mode

See attached

post-826054-1296773156_thumb.png

post-826054-1296773210_thumb.png

post-826054-1296773248_thumb.png

Guest GingerDayWalker

Awesome!!! Somebody get it on Desire!! or teach me how to port SDK's... do anyone know the specs of that device? it's running pretty smooth!

Guest gdwhitehouse
Awesome!!! Somebody get it on Desire!! or teach me how to port SDK's... do anyone know the specs of that device? it's running pretty smooth!

Do you mean the spec of a Nook? Not that great tbh:

Processor: ARM Cortex A8-based Ti OMAP 3621 @ 800 MHz (same processor as Droid 2 and Droid X)

GPU Processor: PowerVR SGX530 Graphics Rendering:Open GLES1.1/2.0 Hardware Scaling: 854x480 scaled to 1024x600 Video Formats: .3GP, .MP4, .3G2 ** Video Codecs: H.263, H.264, MPEG-4, ON2 VP7 ** Image Formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP ** (same GPU as Droid 2 and Droid X) RAM: 512MB Hynix H8MBX00U0MER-0EM MCM (Stacked Chips 2x256MB each die mDDR)

G

Interesting piece about the "fragment" API (google have a sense of humour), and how it helps with scaling - good news for us :-)

http://phandroid.com/2011/02/03/android-3-...reen-size-easy/

A link at the end of the article to a google dev page about the API - anyone else find it a bit ironic that this site has the unscrollable issue (but on steriods) that other sites like gmail in a GOOGLE ANDROID BROWSER has!!!

EDIT: double irony - if I goto the google android dev site using the dolphin browser and set the user agent to ipad the site can be scrolled fine :-/

Edited by sipart

Guest GingerDayWalker
Do you mean the spec of a Nook? Not that great tbh:

Processor: ARM Cortex A8-based Ti OMAP 3621 @ 800 MHz (same processor as Droid 2 and Droid X)

GPU Processor: PowerVR SGX530 Graphics Rendering:Open GLES1.1/2.0 Hardware Scaling: 854x480 scaled to 1024x600 Video Formats: .3GP, .MP4, .3G2 ** Video Codecs: H.263, H.264, MPEG-4, ON2 VP7 ** Image Formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP ** (same GPU as Droid 2 and Droid X) RAM: 512MB Hynix H8MBX00U0MER-0EM MCM (Stacked Chips 2x256MB each die mDDR)

G

So the possibility of Vega getting a port of this running is good? cool news to know!

Guest warriorscot

You won't find this on a desire as it's a tablet version of android it wouldn't work on a desire for multiple reasons.

It seems a good chance we will see it on the Vega we are a little low on the resolution but it's not so different as to be unworkable and the format of the device is fine. It a little low on memory but it should be fine and the Tegra has enough power and if it will go on a nook with a processor it isn't designed for we should be fine.

Guest rferrett

My view on this is fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath.

I think it is unlikely to be *soon* unless one of the OEMs of the various iterations of this devices has some sort of an official 3.0 port.

As the original manufacturer appears to be bringing out a newer model if I were them I probably wouldn't break a back for Honeycomb as it will be easier to sell new model. And from the DSG POV I wonder if they would be inclined to introduce the "Vega 2" with Honeycomb, 3G, slightly better screen and an extra £100 on the price.

Lets be honest if they did that probably a lot of us here would probably plunk for that, still likely to be loads cheaper than iPad 2, Xoom, Top range Adam, LG Slate.

We shall see eh?

Guest Lennyuk
My view on this is fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath.

I think it is unlikely to be *soon* unless one of the OEMs of the various iterations of this devices has some sort of an official 3.0 port.

As the original manufacturer appears to be bringing out a newer model if I were them I probably wouldn't break a back for Honeycomb as it will be easier to sell new model. And from the DSG POV I wonder if they would be inclined to introduce the "Vega 2" with Honeycomb, 3G, slightly better screen and an extra £100 on the price.

Lets be honest if they did that probably a lot of us here would probably plunk for that, still likely to be loads cheaper than iPad 2, Xoom, Top range Adam, LG Slate.

We shall see eh?

I doubt a vega 2 is on DSG's mind yet.

As soon as AOSP for 3.0 hits we will be able to build a rom and port it, plus there is a good chance there will be a CM8 (or otherwise named) for android 3.0 and we should be able to (eventually) get it running bug free.

Guest rferrett

Well DSG during the run up to launch said about how they were intending to bring out a 3G model should the Vega be a success.

Not sure how many they have sold, but given that virtually ever batch of stock they have had has been sold out within house online without ever getting into stores one can only assume they have sold as many as they hoped.

Given the modular nature of the beast and that clearly 3g modules were optional extras I can see how from a DSG POV bringing out a new model with some upgrades and 3G/Honeycomb might be the way forward.

Like I said in all honesty providing it wasn't too much more I think I might be pursuaded, and this would kinda fit in with what they have previously said.

Though what you had to say about a "scene" rom sounds hopefull. All the same fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath sounds like the sensible ocurse of action to me still!

Guest rferrett

Also am I right in thinking that most of the modular new stuff like browser/email will only work with honeycomb so unlikely that we can just port the apk's to the Vega in the meantime?

Guest gdwhitehouse

I think the general opinion is that it doesn't really matter what DSG do, getting Honeycomb on this should be quite possible using the AOSP builds. Like a I said, some dude has managed to get it working on a Nook just from the preview version of Honeycomb.

Just wish I was smart enough to help - I am totally reliant on the immense skills of others to get cool stuff.

G

Guest Sir Gash
I had seen some discussion about how well Honeycomb would work on the Advent Vega 1024 x 600 screen size and was curious so I downloaded the Android Emulator for Google and made a virtual machine with the Advent Vega resolution.

It looks usable but screen resolution does look a bit low. (Not as good as the Motorola Xoom at 1280 x 800.)

Browser would need a full screen mode

See attached

I have not really used the emulator before, but have you tried changing the pixel density:

post-797044-1296834253_thumb.png

Wouldn't mind seeing some more screenshots after you change it if you have the time ;)

I might give it a go myself if I can figure it out!

Edited by Sir Gash

Guest Lennyuk
So is the AOSP build not out then? Are folks building their stuff like the nook just from the emulator?

yes they are doing what is called a "dirty" port from the sdk that is available.

So is the AOSP build not out then? Are folks building their stuff like the nook just from the emulator?

As far as i know AOSP is not out yet. I think we would have seen that in the news like google put a huge honeycomb on their campus....

The last i heared it was a gingerbread.... also a nice to have on the vega till honeycomb is released..

I don't think we will get an 'official' version for the Vega myself ... Besides its out of DSG's hands anyway, as its not their hardware. On the other hand if an official version comes out for one of the other devices based on the Vega OEM design then it's possible to get it that way too.

I am pretty sure we will be able to 'shoehorn' honeycomb on the Vega somehow anyway regardless.

All I can say is BRING IT ON!

Guest rferrett

Troo Dat!

It is annoying just how good it looks because I now *really* want it! I was a bit "meh" before but now I think I will be doing half hour refreshes here and at XDA once the AOSP has been released hoping it will appear somewhere!

Guest kinkade
Troo Dat!

It is annoying just how good it looks because I now *really* want it! I was a bit "meh" before but now I think I will be doing half hour refreshes here and at XDA once the AOSP has been released hoping it will appear somewhere!

ummmm +1

Guest stevesilk51

If this is true we may be stuffed anyway!

I'm not a programmer but the following quote from Rohan Shravan on his NI Adam blog was a concern as I seem to remember

"harmony" appearing in device manager when installing drivers for Vega on my PC.

"Harmony and Ventana are two Tegra platforms and in September we made few hardware changes to make Adam Ventana compatible. That was done cos we sensed only Ventana devices will be able to run Honeycomb and we were right."

EDIT: The following links also make for an interesting read:

Harmony: “http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tegra/docs/harmony_hw_setup.pdf”

Ventana: “http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/devkit-ventana”

I'm sure someone far more capable with android than I will enlighten us?

Edited by stevesilk51

Guest Lennyuk
If this is true we may be stuffed anyway!

I'm not a programmer but the following quote from Rohan Shravan on his NI Adam blog was a concern as I seem to remember

"harmony" appearing in device manager when installing drivers for Vega on my PC.

"Harmony and Ventana are two Tegra platforms and in September we made few hardware changes to make Adam Ventana compatible. That was done cos we sensed only Ventana devices will be able to run Honeycomb and we were right."

EDIT: The following links also make for an interesting read:

Harmony: “http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tegra/docs/harmony_hw_setup.pdf”

Ventana: “http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/devkit-ventana”

I'm sure someone far more capable with android than I will enlighten us?

I am sure I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that there are going to be Harmony devices running 3.0.