honeycomb

Guest brutus66

Guest stevesilk51
And if they could make the Adam 'compatible' the same should be possible for the Vega...

But, this was my point: the Adam HAS the tegra ventana hardware, Vega does not as far as I can tell(harmony drivers), so the vega would or maybe would need hardware changes?

Edited by stevesilk51

Guest Lennyuk
But, this was my point: the Adam HAS the tegra ventana hardware, Vega does not as far as I can tell(harmony drivers), so the vega would or maybe would need hardware changes?

Dell streak just got a sdk port of 3.0....I think our vegas will be fine.

Guest Buzing Bee
If this is true we may be stuffed anyway!

I'm not a programmer but the following quote from Rohan Shravan on his NI Adam blog was a concern as I seem to remember

"harmony" appearing in device manager when installing drivers for Vega on my PC.

"Harmony and Ventana are two Tegra platforms and in September we made few hardware changes to make Adam Ventana compatible. That was done cos we sensed only Ventana devices will be able to run Honeycomb and we were right."

EDIT: The following links also make for an interesting read:

Harmony: “http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tegra/docs/harmony_hw_setup.pdf”

Ventana: “http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/devkit-ventana”

I'm sure someone far more capable with android than I will enlighten us?

Nothing to worrie about ;-)

• 2 months later...
Guest waheedrafiq
As far as i know AOSP is not out yet. I think we would have seen that in the news like google put a huge honeycomb on their campus....

The last i heared it was a gingerbread.... also a nice to have on the vega till honeycomb is released..

All i want to know is how does one upgrage to honeycomb on advevt vega? Soz guys i am a newbie

Guest waheedrafiq
As far as i know AOSP is not out yet. I think we would have seen that in the news like google put a huge honeycomb on their campus....

The last i heared it was a gingerbread.... also a nice to have on the vega till honeycomb is released..

All i want to know is how does one upgrage to honeycomb on advevt vega? Soz guys i am a newbie

Guest mintvilla

you start by reading the posts, well done for posting on the threa labelled honeycomb, now go and read the posts.

Guest add.thebad

not easily. you will have to port it first :)

Guest El Nino9
Nothing to worrie about ;-)

i agree with buzing bee, its just a matter of time really before the source is released. just be patient. the eagerness of people to have the latest of everything is worrying at times.

i will give you a prime example, the HTC dream only got 1.6 official release, but had eclair and froyo ported to it thanks to the CM team. it wasnt that easy, as the camera drivers had to be reversed engineered as they are closed sourced but i doubt that it would be that tricky for the vega. the vega WILL get honeycomb.

just wait for source.

Guest add.thebad

just got an email from tablet store uk who sell a vega clone, and promise honeycomb upgrade, and they said this

We have been recently advised by Smartbook that it will be first week of May. We've seen software running in a video and in screenshots but we're not alowed to show them, which is frustrating because people want to see! But no doubt it is on its way.

so could be true then but could be a lie

fingers crossed

Guest Lennyuk
just got an email from tablet store uk who sell a vega clone, and promise honeycomb upgrade, and they said this

fingers crossed

Let's hope so.

Guest rose840
Remember Point of View boss was quoted as saying there would be a Honeycomb update for their Tegra 2 tablets.

but did they say which ones...

Guest Vansphone

fingers crossed

I had a very good email exchange with the Tablet Store a couple of weeks ago. We exchanged three or four emails on this subject. At the end of the exchange we amicably agreed to differ.

When I first noticed their Honeycomb tablet, it was going to be available in April, then the end of April and then early May. In one of my emails to the Tablet Shop I mentioned the Google press release of 24 March that indicated the release of Honeycomb would be delayed. In reply they wrote the following:

"Yes but if motorola have it so do others. it just means you and I as individuals cannot have it to play around with"

At the time my concern was that there were a great many Honeycomb tablets mentioned in the press, but most of them seemed to be coming at some vague future date rather than actually being available. So rather than buy an "Honeycomb ready" tablet I decided to wait until there was a fair selection actually on the market.

Guest Lennyuk
I had a very good email exchange with the Tablet Store a couple of weeks ago. We exchanged three or four emails on this subject. At the end of the exchange we amicably agreed to differ.

When I first noticed their Honeycomb tablet, it was going to be available in April, then the end of April and then early May. In one of my emails to the Tablet Shop I mentioned the Google press release of 24 March that indicated the release of Honeycomb would be delayed. In reply they wrote the following:

"Yes but if motorola have it so do others. it just means you and I as individuals cannot have it to play around with"

At the time my concern was that there were a great many Honeycomb tablets mentioned in the press, but most of them seemed to be coming at some vague future date rather than actually being available. So rather than buy an "Honeycomb ready" tablet I decided to wait until there was a fair selection actually on the market.

Thing is, he was not wrong, companies do have access to the Honeycomb source, there is just no unlicensed public release, that is AOSP. Registered Google approved developers will have had the HC source for ages.

Guest Vansphone
Thing is, he was not wrong, companies do have access to the Honeycomb source, there is just no unlicensed public release, that is AOSP. Registered Google approved developers will have had the HC source for ages.

I don't disagree. However, I just decided to wait to see what happens.

Guest add.thebad
Remember Point of View boss was quoted as saying there would be a Honeycomb update for their Tegra 2 tablets.

yeah i remember that too, perhaps it is hopeful we will get and official update

however i imagine we will see the source code soon since i have a suspicion that ice cream will be unveiled at google I/O in may as that will have been 6 months since gingerbread if im not mistaken, and they seem to want to wait till its ready for phones to release it.

Guest mingoid

This comes from Andrew over at Nvidia (http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/honeycomb-harmony?page=3):

UPDATE 13 APRIL 2011

A lot has been read into a very short post about a Tegra development kit. I'd like to clear up a few points.

First, nothing changes in what we’re delivering to the open source community or customers. NVIDIA will continue to post the Tegra kernel to kernel.org and publish our Android code to our public git servers. Additionally, we will continue to make our BSP (codecs, GPU driver etc) available to all our hardware partners. We will continue to do this and nothing about these processes has changed.

For our partners' Android devices, NVIDIA provides support until the hardware partner chooses to no longer support the device. So, for instance, NVIDIA will support the Xoom on all versions of Android Motorola requests until Motorola ceases to support the Xoom. The same goes for ViewSonic with the G-Tablet, Notion Ink with the Adam, Acer with the Iconia, LG with the Optimus 2X and so on.

In relation to my original reply, that was a response to a specific question about a Tegra 250 Development Kit. Given the confusion, we will work with owners of Tegra 250 Development Kits individually to determine their needs. The term "Harmony" is an internal codename for the Tegra 250 Development Kit. It is not a tablet reference design. Each shipping tablet is a custom design with varying hardware components and requires a custom OS image from the OEM who made the tablet.

Finally, while we cannot support or give out third party peripheral drivers or provide the Android 3.0 source before Google does, we do want to explore whether we can assist the open source ROM makers. We will be reaching out to them today.

Andrew Edelsten

Tegra Developer Relations

NVIDIA Corporation

Guest peter a
This comes from Andrew over at Nvidia (http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/honeycomb-harmony?page=3):

UPDATE 13 APRIL 2011

A lot has been read into a very short post about a Tegra development kit. I'd like to clear up a few points.

First, nothing changes in what we’re delivering to the open source community or customers. NVIDIA will continue to post the Tegra kernel to kernel.org and publish our Android code to our public git servers. Additionally, we will continue to make our BSP (codecs, GPU driver etc) available to all our hardware partners. We will continue to do this and nothing about these processes has changed.

For our partners' Android devices, NVIDIA provides support until the hardware partner chooses to no longer support the device. So, for instance, NVIDIA will support the Xoom on all versions of Android Motorola requests until Motorola ceases to support the Xoom. The same goes for ViewSonic with the G-Tablet, Notion Ink with the Adam, Acer with the Iconia, LG with the Optimus 2X and so on.

In relation to my original reply, that was a response to a specific question about a Tegra 250 Development Kit. Given the confusion, we will work with owners of Tegra 250 Development Kits individually to determine their needs. The term "Harmony" is an internal codename for the Tegra 250 Development Kit. It is not a tablet reference design. Each shipping tablet is a custom design with varying hardware components and requires a custom OS image from the OEM who made the tablet.

Finally, while we cannot support or give out third party peripheral drivers or provide the Android 3.0 source before Google does, we do want to explore whether we can assist the open source ROM makers. We will be reaching out to them today.

Andrew Edelsten

Tegra Developer Relations

NVIDIA Corporation

Wow, it looks like nvidia are taking note.

Edited by peter a

Guest add.thebad
Wow, it looks like nvidia are taking note.

Wow, it

thats a good to see from a company.

i suppose they are getting alot of stick for something that is not their fault. realy is googles fault for not opening up and nvidia cant untill they do

but im sure it will come one day with google I/O approaching

Guest Lennyuk
thats a good to see from a company.

i suppose they are getting alot of stick for something that is not their fault. realy is googles fault for not opening up and nvidia cant untill they do

but im sure it will come one day with google I/O approaching

They are basically saying what a few of us said all along, its entirely down to the OEM and not nvidia

Guest peter a
They are basically saying what a few of us said all along, its entirely down to the OEM and not nvidia

O.K lets pick on the oem who made it.

Lets light the burning torches!!!!!

Hmmm, this is intresting....

Found this comment in the comment section of one of the tabletstoreuk

Are you sure you can update it to Honeycomb?

hoTodi 1 month ago

@hoTodi very sure, we have seen the beta running (all be it over a skype call and not first hand, but seeing is believing). We've also had many screenshots. From a technical point of view the CPU in this device is more than capable of running Honeycomb, unlike most existing device, even for example the 7" galaxy tab, which is a great device but won't run 3.0. The Nvidia Chip will probably be seen in more and more devices this year with good reason.

tabletstoreuk 1 month ago