Samba Filesharing

Guest PaulOBrien

sambafilesharing1.pngsambafilesharing2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

Samba Filesharing

What they say

Access your Android device over wifi as a Windows shared folder.

* Samba filesharing server for Android.
* Your Android device becomes visible to other Windows (& SMB compatible) computers on your network.
* The 'external' storage in your Android device is accessible as a network shared folder.
* Copy files and folders to and from your Android device using drag and drop.
* Customizable username, password, Windows workgroup name, and device network (NETBIOS) name.

Requirements:
* Your Android device must already be rooted.
* Superuser 2.3.6.1 or later installed (available on Market).

Troubleshooting & further info:
* http://tinyurl.com/SAtroubleshoot

Notes:
* On the first run, make sure you catch the SuperUser Auth request to allow the Samba Filesharing app root access.
* If you experience problems accessing your device, be sure to try all three methods: Network browser, specifying \\name, then \\ipaddress.
* HTC owners: Due to a bug in the wifi setup utility (supplicant) in some HTC Android releases, your device may not appear in Windows Network Browser or be accessible as \\name. Access using \\ipaddress instead.
* Nautilus users: a few reports of file permission problems or "Invalid argument" errors. Try manually mounting the Android share instead, specifying 'noperm' in the mount option

What we say

This is cool! Connect Wifi. Run Samba file sharing. Drive pops up in the 'Network' area on my Mac (of course it works with Windows / Linux too) and I can connect and copy away - excellent! The best way to copy files to / from my device. :P

Permissions

view Wi-Fi state / view network state / full Internet access / prevent phone from sleeping

Download

View at AppBrain or the Android Market website.

Direct Market Link (for on device)

View on Android Market

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

sambafilesharing.qrcode.png

Price

FREE

Market star rating at time of writing

4.54 (112 ratings)

Version at time of writing

110130-market

Similar / Alternative apps

Also check out Awesome Drop and SwiFTP Server.

Suggested improvements for the next version

n/a

Have your say

Fan of Samba Filesharing? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :D

Thanks for this Paul.

I now can sync files from my server wirelessly.

I tried the rsync app directly but it kept hanging. Now I can mount the samba share and rsync this.