[maybe solved] Touchscreen does not react after flashing an new ROM

Guest Seb801

Guest fredl99
other more obscure magic tricks never worked for me..
I guess one of these tricks you're referring to might be the one I've posted earlier. :)

Well, I wasn't very convinced by it for myself. On the other hand it was the only way that worked on my phone at that time, and not bad after all.

But when I got tired of a reliable SS4 and switched to CM7 the nightmare came back. (And I was hoping it wouldn't since I tried the new version, which is labelled as "stable")

What a happy coincidence that you came along with your patch just in time. :)

Pushed it in, tried 5+ powercycles in a row - CM7 stable working like a charm on my GEN1.

Many kudos to you, you're a genius, leromarinvit! Thank you!

Now I've got to find a way to reset the phone to its original state, including bootloader. Why? Have to bring it back, because the menu button is about to die :)

Guest leromarinvit
Here we go. I don't know if it's important, so I added the ts_information as txt.

HTH

Thank you! The contents of your controller's config memory are exactly the same as mine, so my idea of reflashing it won't work. I guess we'll have to live with the reset as a workaround.

I'm attaching a slightly updated patch. I've also created a github account and sent kallt_kaffe a pull request. Let's hope I didn't get too much wrong with the mechanics of git. :)

I'll do the same for TomG's repo for CM7 tomorrow.

Now I've got to find a way to reset the phone to its original state, including bootloader. Why? Have to bring it back, because the menu button is about to die :)

Sorry to hear that. This thread should help you.

touchscreen_reset.zip

Guest poenanie

I can confirm that the GEN1 C7 kernelfix has worked for me also.

If at any occassion I still get a frozen touchscreen I will report back, but for now it seems this patch fixed it!

Guest leromarinvit
This is propably not any help but since I dumped it might as well upload it.

My phone is OLED OSF but upgraded to Gen2.

Yeah, it's the same, MD5 ea772969dbcf398e4e928d973df0d469.

Guest isambard
The power key or other more obscure magic tricks never worked for me. I didn't wipe the cache though, gonna try this later. Still busy with the downgrade.

Edit: tried it, no go.

i don't know if it is fixed now due to patch or was a one off, but this sequence resulted in a TS freeze:

- start with CM7 installed

- install the SS patched kernel only (this should result in non-working phone)

- (optional?) wipe cache

- reboot until hangs on green android

- pull battery

- reinstall CM7 kernel

- boot

at this point my TS is frozen. but a tap on the power button to cycle screen resets it.

like i said, it's a bit of a faff, so i don't want to test too many times and could have just been a coincidence. but it does seem that a lot of problems appear when the kernel is swapped (possibly with forgetting to wipe).

Edited by isambard

Guest isambard
i don't know if it is fixed now due to patch or was a one off, but this sequence resulted in a TS freeze:

- start with CM7 installed

- install the SS patched kernel only (this should result in non-working phone)

- (optional?) wipe cache

- reboot until hangs on green android

- pull battery

- reinstall CM7 kernel

- boot

at this point my TS is frozen. but a tap on the power button to cycle screen resets it.

like i said, it's a bit of a faff, so i don't want to test too many times and could have just been a coincidence. but it does seem that a lot of problems appear when the kernel is swapped (possibly with forgetting to wipe).

scrap that. found an easier way:

- boot into CM7

- pull the battery without shutting down

on reboot the TS is frozen. power-toggle fixes - at least on the patched version.

the problem is if you can't shutdown without pulling the battery again, you will, i guess, have a stuck TS on the next boot thereby simulating the TS is permanently non-responsive.

i guess it should be possible to figure out what is not being done on shutdown and then patch this on the boot sequence..

Guest leromarinvit
- reinstall CM7 kernel

- boot

Which version of CM7 did you install? The initramfs I used for the patched kernel was from N39. If they changed something between that and what you're using it might cause problems. Otherwise, I don't see why CM7 should behave any differently than Froyo regarding the touchscreen.

- boot into CM7

- pull the battery without shutting down

on reboot the TS is frozen. power-toggle fixes - at least on the patched version.

Just tried that with 2.2 and the touchscreen is still working. I'll try CM7 now.

Edited by leromarinvit

Guest isambard
Which version of CM7 did you install? The initramfs I used for the patched kernel was from N39. If they changed something between that and what you're using it might cause problems. Otherwise, I don't see why CM7 should behave any differently than Froyo regarding the touchscreen.

see follow-up. i think the TS issue is related to improper shutdown (at least in my case). but for reference, i am on n36.

Edited by isambard

Guest isambard
see follow-up. i think the TS issue is related to improper shutdown (at least in my case). but for reference, i am on n36.

so to re-produce a TS freeze (this also works on n39):

- start with phone booted

- pull out the battery

- take out the sim card

- reboot

the phone should now start up but with TS frozen.

tapping on power button to cycle the screen should un-freeze it, even with the patch from leromarinvit.

i took several attempts booting and changing things, but i think this is it now. i wish CM7 booted quicker! :)

Edited by isambard

Guest leromarinvit

Hmm. I just tried it on my phone (using n36 as well as n39) and can't reproduce it. I tried both pulling the battery and installing the wrong kernel, the touchscreen works afterwards every time. My phone is on Gen2 at the moment, going to try on Gen1 too to see if it makes any difference.

Edit: tried removing the SIM and it still works. Still on Gen2 though.

I have also the same.

What is the /proc/touchscreen/pdt?

It lists the "functions" available on the touchscreen controller (like 2D sensors, capacitive buttons, etc) and their register blocks. I thought it would be useful if the configuration turned out to be different between working and non-working Blades, but since it's the same anyway, it won't be very useful to most people. The patch I asked kallt_kaffe to merge doesn't include the new /proc interfaces any more.

Edited by leromarinvit

Guest isambard
Hmm. I just tried it on my phone (using n36 as well as n39) and can't reproduce it. I tried both pulling the battery and installing the wrong kernel, the touchscreen works afterwards every time. My phone is on Gen2 at the moment, going to try on Gen1 too to see if it makes any difference.

hmm. i'm on Gen2 too. i can only guess there's something different or wrong with my phone. :/ and thanks for your efforts!

Edited by isambard

Guest leromarinvit
hmm. i'm on Gen2 too. i can only guess there's something different or wrong with my phone. :/ and thanks for your efforts!

Did you do a full wipe? Maybe it's something with your CM7 install.

I just tried it on Gen1, and it works there too.

Guest OwenBurnett

I got 2 days ago one of thise blades form hofer an due to VPN issues with the stock firmware wanted to update to the CM rom, but run into this touchscrean issue.

How does it look with a fices rom for Gen 1 devices?

Guest OwenBurnett

how do i install the update after flashing?

I assume I have to use the Clockwork recovery and navigate it with the buttons.

I instaleld it cool it works now

Edited by OwenBurnett

Guest OwenBurnett

Can this fix be somehow modfyed so that it can be installed over any ROM?

I would like to try some of the 2.2 roms ...

Is it possible to kind of put osmethinginto autostart that will reset the controlelr on each boot for any rom you have?

Guest heavyduty00

my touchscreen startd to randomly freeze for the past few days, am on cm7 stable and I have had it on for a few weeks where the touchscreen worked fine :)

Guest sambartle
my touchscreen startd to randomly freeze for the past few days, am on cm7 stable and I have had it on for a few weeks where the touchscreen worked fine :)

That's a different problem.