Application idea

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O

Cyanogenmod roms have CM Settings. Some other roms have similar setting apps. So why don't we have one too?

I'm thinking of a small application which can do the following things:

- Enable / disable HW acc in build.prop

- Change the dalvik-vm value

- Enable / disable stagefright in build.prop along with a toggle for the http fix on and off (fixes green bar in H.264 video)

- wpa_supplicant scan changer

- lcd density change

- Apps2SD partition info (total size, amount free, amount used, partition type eg EXT2/3/4)

- Option to toggle the Froyo Apps2fat to force apps to install to /data, /sd or automatic (default). Would be useful for resized partition users

- Option to change the status bar text colour (similar to 0x90 mod)

Now I have to be honest and say I have no idea how to code an Android application so sadly I can't produce this. But what do people generally think? All these options can be done without any system patches apart from the status bar mod which will need a modified services.jar

Anything fancy the challenge of making this?

Personally I think it's a great idea and would offer us a lot of flexibility. Sadly, I don't have the skills (yet hopefully!) to assist in the building, but would certainly appreciate the effort if someone were to take it on.

Guest cooldfuzion
Personally I think it's a great idea and would offer us a lot of flexibility. Sadly, I don't have the skills (yet hopefully!) to assist in the building, but would certainly appreciate the effort if someone were to take it on.

+1

Guest IronDoc

I was actually thinking of trying to learn how to make an app to toggle parts of build.prop myself. Haven't had the conviction to actually sit down and start learning yet though.

Guest oh!dougal

Can App Inventor call Shell Scripts? (or call something else that can somehow run the terminal commands for these operations?)

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest womble_sanfran

Would this app also be able to toggle between 2g and 3g? It annoys me that Android cant do that, all the toggles/switchers you can get on the market just open the settings that allow you to change it.

I would like to be able to use Tasker to switch between 3g and 2g upon various events to save battery....

Guest Simon O
Would this app also be able to toggle between 2g and 3g? It annoys me that Android cant do that, all the toggles/switchers you can get on the market just open the settings that allow you to change it.

I would like to be able to use Tasker to switch between 3g and 2g upon various events to save battery....

I thought Switchpro widget could toggle 2g/3g?

Guest IronDoc
Can App Inventor call Shell Scripts? (or call something else that can somehow run the terminal commands for these operations?)

I don't think so, you'd have to call an application to do it. I worked through all the App Inventor tutorials before realising just how limited it is.

Actually you might be able to give a parameter (argument? I forget the terminology) to a component of another app which edits a system text file, unlikely though.

Guest womble_sanfran
I thought Switchpro widget could toggle 2g/3g?

I am on the stock rom and have Switchpro widget and can add the 2g/3g widget but when you click it you are presented with the 'Mobile network settings' page, you can then turn it on and off but I would rather a one click solution.

In the link below crafty says "The necessary setPreferredNetworkType(...) method is on the com.android.internal.telephony.Phone interface which is not available to SDK developers.".

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...itch-for-froyo/

That will inevitably mean more to you than me!! Reading on in that thread it seems it is possible in cyanogenmod.

Thanks

Edited by womble_sanfran

Guest vareBlade

How about we integrate all these features in Recovery Manager? Then it would be a killer app (+ everything would be in 1 place/app)

Edited by vareBlade

Guest t0mm13b

I could put together a simple java front end app that JNI's to the C layer, which can adjust those said properties? It would be a pleasure to do so....

Guest t0mm13b
Great Idea for an App :P

In fact, as of right now, I am developing a simple app to disable/enable USB charging, in the spirit of open source I will be putting it up on github shortly... :D

Guest IronDoc
I could put together a simple java front end app that JNI's to the C layer, which can adjust those said properties? It would be a pleasure to do so....

Yeah I think that's exactly what we're asking for.

I for one would very much appreciate it.

Guest Xenon0816

one question: What would be the use of the wpa_supplicant scan changer? Would that be to change the scan interval or would it do something diferent?

btw: +1 for a custom options menu!

Guest Simon O
one question: What would be the use of the wpa_supplicant scan changer? Would that be to change the scan interval or would it do something diferent?

btw: +1 for a custom options menu!

Lower number means it'll scan for networks more often and possibly reconnect to an existing network quicker, but scanning more often will use more battery so it might be better for some people to set this to a higher value.

So, FLB is the ideas man, and we've got two devs :P Thanks gents - the world's your oyster!

if nobody else wants to do it, i will write this app.