Increase minimum brightness?

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Ahoy, I'm currently using a TFT blade, and am using Auto-Brightness on the MCR r11 rom.

I have found that, in general usage, it's a helpful feature, especially in low light where my retinas are usually burned out at fixed brightness. However, here my problem lies. At minimum brightness, I feel like I am straining my eyes to see the screen. Therefore, I wonder, is there a possibility of a file edit somewhere that would bring minimum brightness upto about 1/5 of the distance along the slider, or 1/6, minimum? This would allow the brightness not to go down as far, butt instead to a pleasant value, while still going up as high in lots of light. Also, the other trade off is that the transition from normal light to, say, covering the sensor when playing angry birds will be smaller, and therefore less jarring

I would greatly appreciate anyone who could point out the file or value that would need to be changed. Thank you.

Guest Len Ash
Ahoy, I'm currently using a TFT blade, and am using Auto-Brightness on the MCR r11 rom.

I have found that, in general usage, it's a helpful feature, especially in low light where my retinas are usually burned out at fixed brightness. However, here my problem lies. At minimum brightness, I feel like I am straining my eyes to see the screen. Therefore, I wonder, is there a possibility of a file edit somewhere that would bring minimum brightness upto about 1/5 of the distance along the slider, or 1/6, minimum? This would allow the brightness not to go down as far, butt instead to a pleasant value, while still going up as high in lots of light. Also, the other trade off is that the transition from normal light to, say, covering the sensor when playing angry birds will be smaller, and therefore less jarring

I would greatly appreciate anyone who could point out the file or value that would need to be changed. Thank you.

The AB settings are mostly wrong in the 2.2 ROMs - dev oversight. Partly because the settings differ between versions of hardware... and it isn't noticed.

The 10 steps are buried in resources.arsc (IIRC) within framework-res.apk

So no easy way for most to amend. It took me a full weekend, on and off, to get the settings right, and then to get framework-res recompiled as APKtools was fooking me about. I even borrowed a Lux meter from work too!

Edited by Len Ash

Ah, that's a bit of a bummer, but thanks anyway.

Is this a regular problem, then? Or do many people struggle with it do you think?

Guest Len Ash
Ah, that's a bit of a bummer, but thanks anyway.

Is this a regular problem, then? Or do many people struggle with it do you think?

Yes, it has a huge impact on battery life too. The screen is generally too bright. However, I have both an OLED and TFT and the settings on the same ROM needed to be different to give the same legibility at the same ambient light levels.

The Japanese and Chinese ROMs and the other ROMs differ too... as I said, something that has been missed, by and large.

I suspect battery life should be the driver to get this sorted....

Yes, sorting out some battery life problems, especailly on the TFT where it would be worse is a good idea, but I would like the trade off of my problem being fixed...by somebody, anybody who knows how to fix it.

Lol. I want it the other way! Mine brightens before I want it to!

Haha, so what we really need is more out-and-out control, really.

Guest mELIANTE
Lol. I want it the other way! Mine brightens before I want it to!

Same here... Just a little speck of light makes it brighten up, it only stays totally dimmed in complete darkness :P