can anyone explain why CM is a breakthrough of Rom dev for blade?

Guest jmpan

Sorry for my stupid question I just know little about android ROM dev

I read around and looks like CM is a big breakthrough but don't really understand the reason.

Can anyone exaplain briefly? Thanks a lot.

Guest targetbsp

I think it's the first time we've had a rom that hasn't by some roundabout way come from ZTE themselves. So should ZTE not release any further updates for the phone it doesn't matter - we can get them elsewhere. This is demonstrated by the fact that CM7 is gingerbread and ZTE have never released gingerbread.

Guest Matty-p

I read around and looks like CM is a big breakthrough but don't really understand the reason.

its awesome and

RIL..

Ok I see. This looks really amazing, big thanks to the developer.

Is something called RIL the key compoent that enable CM on blade?

I think so. As far as I know - the Radio Interface Layer were kind of broken for all the custom 2.2 ROMs so far - the devs had to fix it somehow but it wasn't always working. Now we got a fully working RIL (thanks to Tom G?) and this will help us to build roms from the android source - or am I totally wrong? :P

Guest Frankish

The RIL is for calls. Nobody wanted to spend time porting roms where everything might work but we couldn't use it as a phone :P

Now we can make calls and use data in roms the rest of the work is making the rom features work with our specific hardware.

Cyanogenmod is not just a rom, it's an AOSP modification with so many USEFUL features added. It's a community. It's the future.

What exactly does RIL do?

Controls the stuff that enables you to make and recieve calls, send and recieve sms/mms messages, use mobile data. Basically everything GSM related.

1. People can now make functional ROMs without waiting for an update from ZTE.

CM7 is based on Android 2.3 :P which will probably never be released for ZTE Blade (Europe still has only Android 2.1).

2. CyanogenMod has some nice additional tweaks and features (see CyanogenMod settings) compared to stock AOSP.

Edited by MDCFan

Guest evilpaul

Controls the stuff that enables you to make and recieve calls, send and recieve sms/mms messages, use mobile data.

That's not exactly right.

The kernel is the main part of linux and usually includes device drivers, but due to the GPL any driver included in the kernel will be covered by the GPL. In order to keep drivers closed source you need an interface layer, to create a separation between the GPL'ed code and the closed source code.

In this case RIL is an interface between the kernel and the closed source wireless driver. Without a working RIL then the phone loses all phone like abilities (phone calls, SMS, etc.).

Guest fonix232
Controls the stuff that enables you to make and recieve calls, send and recieve sms/mms messages, use mobile data.

That's not exactly right.

The kernel is the main part of linux and usually includes device drivers, but due to the GPL any driver included in the kernel will be covered by the GPL. In order to keep drivers closed source you need an interface layer, to create a separation between the GPL'ed code and the closed source code.

In this case RIL is an interface between the kernel and the closed source wireless driver. Without a working RIL then the phone loses all phone like abilities (phone calls, SMS, etc.).

So basically it enables calls :P

Guest evilpaul
So basically it enables calls :D

It enables access to the bit that makes calls. This is the semantic stuff that engineers get frustrated over when they try to explain things. :P