How to back up everything when moving from ROM to ROM?

Guest King Mustard

Guest King Mustard

My dad has Japanese Jellyfish RLS8 on his phone and I wish to put FLB-Froyo G2 on there.

How do I back everything up? (inc. contacts, Angry Birds progress etc.)

Guest Xenon0816
I use: Titanium Backup for apps and their data, contacts will auto sync with google, SMS backup+ for texts

That's what I do, but I use SMS backup and restore for the messages, as it stores them locally in an xml-file (no need to give google my messages :D)

Guest targetbsp

I looked at that but the user review state that it doesn't handle the dates and restores things out of order. SMS backup+ doesn't have that problem.

I'm not bothered about privacy but a local backup has to be faster! I've just seen this one which looks promising: http://www.appbrain.com/app/sms-backup-res...MSBackupRestore

Mind you the faq for this app suggests out of order text messages following a restore in any app are a handcent bug and I don't use handcent so... :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest reallordx
unfortunately there's no one step solution for this.. maybe one day?

Have a look at MyBackup Root.

Backs up Apps(+AppData) or Data (Contacts, Protocols, SMS, Bookmarks, etc) and puts them in one single file on SD card (or online if u buy the paid version).

Worked a charm, when i moved from Pauls MCR to Flibs FLB. =)

Guest Species5618
It can but restoring from Eclair to froyo causes force closes. I don't know how froyo to other froyo's go - never tried.

Had no problems using Titanium Backup (pro/donate version) to go from Froyo->Froyo without loss of SMS.

Guest geezerone

Hello

First post so be gentle :D

Having purchased a 'Blade' I was looking into first getting rid of the orange bloatware having already unlocked the phone to use on the O2 network. Looking to perform a backup of not just the system for recovery but individual app status backup, e.g. Angry Birds progress, SMS etc. Would T.B. perform this and allow the backup of just specific apps too (full and incremental)?

The next thing is deciding which ROM to use and sometimes too much choice is a problem :D Are there any rumours about official releases of 2.2/3 on the horizon? First reason for change is saving battery power so any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance and must say the site is impressive!

Guest shadowninty
Hello

First post so be gentle :D

Having purchased a 'Blade' I was looking into first getting rid of the orange bloatware having already unlocked the phone to use on the O2 network. Looking to perform a backup of not just the system for recovery but individual app status backup, e.g. Angry Birds progress, SMS etc. Would T.B. perform this and allow the backup of just specific apps too (full and incremental)?

yup

The next thing is deciding which ROM to use and sometimes too much choice is a problem :D Are there any rumours about official releases of 2.2/3 on the horizon? First reason for change is saving battery power so any suggestions appreciated.
Perhaps we will get an official Orange 2.2 but i'd seriously doubt 2.3

the Froyo ROMs here are all based off ZTE ROMs but fixed up (apart from the discontinued CM6)

I'm gonna recommend CyanogenMod 7 to you, the last major bug is to be fixed tonight, its Android 2.3 and has loads of cool features

if you change 2 settings its perfect!

yup

Perhaps we will get an official Orange 2.2 but i'd seriously doubt 2.3

the Froyo ROMs here are all based off ZTE ROMs but fixed up (apart from the discontinued CM6)

I'm gonna recommend CyanogenMod 7 to you, the last major bug is to be fixed tonight, its Android 2.3 and has loads of cool features

wow do you have a link to the download, and details of what setting , i would like to try it .very many thanks

Guest shadowninty
wow do you have a link to the download, and details of what setting , i would like to try it .very many thanks

Discussion Thread

Download (Full-4 will have black screen after long call bug fixed)

Settings Changes: in ADW Launcher Settings, disble wallpaper hack

In Spare Parts App, change end button behaviour to go to sleep

Guest ManMetDeHamer

for the backup i would recomend using the backup option from clockwork, that way you can just go back to how your phone was before you reflashed it.

it makes a full backup of your whole phone.

I recommend MyBackup Root. It backups and restores everything(contacs, sms, mms, apps, appdata, media etc) on your phone. Only glitch I had with it is that it doesn't restore the MMS and SMS after dates. It restores all of the MMS in order and then all of the SMS in order(they are kind of separated). But since I haven't seen any other program that even can restore MMS on your phone, I'd say myback up root still wins.

For just going back to an earlier ROM, suse Nandroid. Then you don't even have to fix your homescreensa again, it restores EVERYTHING as it was.

You sure about that? For a newbie? I've run CM7 for a day know and I'm going back to the stable Jellyfish. The CM7 is awesome(especially in games, no lag AT ALL now in Angry bird) but I find it still to buggy to be used as an everyday ROM. The bug when you have to remove the battery after every call is a deal breaker. And I really don't want to use the shake app as a cure that drains the battery instead. And then I've had a couple of other weird things happen, like widgets dying on me and having to reinstall them on the home screens a couple of times, apps not running from the SD-card, apps not being able to be installed on the SD-card, not being able to install HTC_IME by jonas keyboard etc. But I'm really looking forward to a finished release.