ROM's not working

Guest hoggypotter

Guest hoggypotter

I was running Sebastians de-softened r3 with no problems but thought I'd try something else, BIG mistake. I tried JJ Rls9, Pauls R12, Fibbles latest but every one is showing the same issues. Phone locks up, unable to swipe between screens, reboots by itself, touching the icons and nothing happens. It just doesn't like any of the ROMS. I went back to the de-softened and it's still having the same issues.

Perhaps I should completely format the SD card and try again. It would be nice just to have a working phone again to be honest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest hoggypotter
Did you wipe cache and data before changing the ROMs? How did you change them, with which install method?

I've just spoken to Orange and they will replace the phone tomorrow.

Thanks anyway.

Guest Phoenix Silver
I've just spoken to Orange and they will replace the phone tomorrow.

Thanks anyway.

not a solution if your method is wrong you 'll have the same problems with your new phone

Guest hoggypotter
not a solution if your method is wrong you 'll have the same problems with your new phone

That's true, but I did follow the advice posted on this site.

I have been wondering if I did something wrong as all the ROM's I tried had the same issues.

I will need to go through the same routine again, unlock, root and then flash the ROM. I used Clockwork 2.5.18 last time but may move to the latest version this time around.

Question is, which ROM should I go for? Paul's R12 seemed nice for the short while I had it. Japanese Jellyfish is used by a lot of people but I read that the development has ended for it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What I suspect you DIDN'T do was do a a factory reset and delete all the old data by wiping the cache

If you didn't do that the rom's just will not work as expected as bits of the older ones will still be there

Guest hoggypotter
What I suspect you DIDN'T do was do a a factory reset and delete all the old data by wiping the cache

If you didn't do that the rom's just will not work as expected as bits of the older ones will still be there

I think I did. I wiped the cache first and then wiped data. Is factory reset not part of the wipe data then?

Would anyone else also recommend fibblesans r8a ROM? I don't really want to go through this again, so the ROM I choose will be the one I'll stick with.

Thanks.

Guest Picazsoo
I think I did. I wiped the cache first and then wiped data. Is factory reset not part of the wipe data then?

Would anyone else also recommend fibblesans r8a ROM? I don't really want to go through this again, so the ROM I choose will be the one I'll stick with.

Thanks.

Sorry, but unless you learn how to do this stuff correctly, you will eventually run into the same problems again. Any rom you choose now will be obsolete in a couple of weeks either because of newer versions being available (remember - TINSTAAPR = there is no such thing as a perfect ROM) or when 2.3 in form of CM7 gets to the stage of being stable enough to be used as a ROM for the daily use. Whenever I have problems like these I usually successfuly solve them by doing a format of the SD card in CWM and then flashing the ROM to totally clean phone. If this wouldn't work (and I doubt that it wouldn't), I would then do a TPT and afterwards would tend to blame it on the phone being broken but not sooner.

Didn't mean to sound like an a**, but probably do - Sorry about that. Just find it unreasonable to call Orange to replace the phone just because you mess up with flashing different ROMS.

BTW: Did you restore to your original de-softened from a back-up or did you do a full install from a .zip file?

Edited by Picazsoo

Guest hoggypotter
Sorry, but unless you learn how to do this stuff correctly, you will eventually run into the same problems again. Any rom you choose now will be obsolete in a couple of weeks either because of newer versions being available (remember - TINSTAAPR = there is no such thing as a perfect ROM) or when 2.3 in form of CM7 gets to the stage of being stable enough to be used as a ROM for the daily use. Whenever I have problems like these I usually successfuly solve them by doing a format of the SD card in CWM and then flashing the ROM to totally clean phone. If this wouldn't work (and I doubt that it wouldn't), I would then do a TPT and afterwards would tend to blame it on the phone being broken but not sooner.

Didn't mean to sound like an a**, but probably do - Sorry about that. Just find it unreasonable to call Orange to replace the phone just because you mess up with flashing different ROMS.

BTW: Did you restore to your original de-softened from a back-up or did you do a full install from a .zip file?

That's OK, you didn't hurt my feelings, I'm just grateful for any advice. The old phone also had a white spot where the google search box is, so technically it should have been sent back anyway. I was wondering if a complete format would do the trick, I just wasn't sure on how to do it and whether I should considering I was sending the phone back to Orange. I restored the original de-softened ROM with a full install.

I've just put on fibblesans r8a and it's running with no problems.

Guest Picazsoo
That's OK, you didn't hurt my feelings, I'm just grateful for any advice. The old phone also had a white spot where the google search box is, so technically it should have been sent back anyway. I was wondering if a complete format would do the trick, I just wasn't sure on how to do it and whether I should considering I was sending the phone back to Orange. I restored the original de-softened ROM with a full install.

I've just put on fibblesans r8a and it's running with no problems.

So you now have a new perfectly working phone? Well, if there was a hardware problem with the device (the screen) then I take it the problem with the ROM was the last drop for you. But anyway, be prepared to flash often (-: You will (not necessarily need, but) want to, once fully stable CM7 comes along - I tried the beta and it is awesome!

And TPT generally works even for the worst of problems - if your phone is the standard Orange SF.

Guest hoggypotter
So you now have a new perfectly working phone? Well, if there was a hardware problem with the device (the screen) then I take it the problem with the ROM was the last drop for you. But anyway, be prepared to flash often (-: You will (not necessarily need, but) want to, once fully stable CM7 comes along - I tried the beta and it is awesome!

And TPT generally works even for the worst of problems - if your phone is the standard Orange SF.

Yes, phone is working exactly how it should. Not sure what happened with the other SF. 2.3 in beta eh?....sounds tempting (no, I must resist). I wonder if I could just upgrade to 2.3 rather than a full wipe and install?

Oh well, just happy that everything is working again. :D

Thanks.