how many streaks are true tablets

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest Stephen Hyde

sorry for the confusing title, cant think of a description any better:)

wondering how many users are using their streaks as wifi only tablets with no sim, and also if you are could you report your average battery life AND the cell standby % figure from settings > about > battery use.

im considering adding an option into the next streakdroid build to allow disabling the ril (cell radio service) services on streak as it should save battery i think

EDIT: if users could repost this on other forums id appreciate it please

Edited by Stephen Hyde

Guest boboskins
sorry for the confusing title, cant think of a description any better:)

wondering how many users are using their streaks as wifi only tablets with no sim, and also if you are could you report your average battery life AND the cell standby % figure from settings > about > battery use.

im considering adding an option into the next streakdroid build to allow disabling the ril (cell radio service) services on streak as it should save battery i think

EDIT: if users could repost this on other forums id appreciate it please

Steve,

I use mine as a phone with sim, however I know from my Vega (which doesn't even have the hardware for a sim) that removing the phone side of things had a BIG impact on power. I am guessing that if there are any tablet only users they would gain quite a bit from having the ril disabled.

B

Guest Stephen Hyde

yep ive seen the same on my adam - made a modded rom for it which gives users the ability to disable the phone features and some of them have reported huge jumps in battery

Guest popetodd

I have been forced to use mine as a tablet only for the last 2 weeks and my battery life has jumped about 28%.

Keep in mind that I also use Juice Defender as well, I had it set for Tablet mode for this time period.

I have been forced to use mine as a tablet only for the last 2 weeks and my battery life has jumped about 28%.

Keep in mind that I also use Juice Defender as well, I had it set for Tablet mode for this time period.

28% . That is what i call it - very accurate reporting. :D

Guest Keatonreckard

i use my streak with a data only ipad sim.

i do use google voice/skype/fring for my texting/calling needs but i never use it as a hardware phone... if there was an option to remove/disbale just the phone part, not 3g (not sure if thats possible) im sure it would help battery life a little bit. sorry, no data to report because the only sim ive used in my streak is the att micro sim.

Guest popetodd
28% . That is what i call it - very accurate reporting. :D

I am using Juice Plotter so getting an accurate number is quite easy.

What, do you guys just guess if something is working better?

Guest cowballz

i have 2 streaks , if u want me to kill both to 0% and then charge them to 100 (at the same time) use one with sim and one with out the sim,set both screen brighrness to 100% then set up a timer to see how long it takes to die ill do it if u need me to. If u need another way to get accurate readings let me know since i have 2 same exact streaks with latest roms

Guest superutp
i have 2 streaks , if u want me to kill both to 0% and then charge them to 100 (at the same time) use one with sim and one with out the sim,set both screen brighrness to 100% then set up a timer to see how long it takes to die ill do it if u need me to. If u need another way to get accurate readings let me know since i have 2 same exact streaks with latest roms

that wud be interesting to see

Guest zrospeed
yep ive seen the same on my adam - made a modded rom for it which gives users the ability to disable the phone features and some of them have reported huge jumps in battery

What do you think of the adam? Would you recommend it? Sorry for the off topic, been wanting one since it debuted at ces. But with all the mix reviews now. Its hard to decide.

Thanks

Guest cowballz

Ok will do tomorrow , ill upload a video on youtube of the results, ill use beautiful battery widget its always in sync with battery meter in the system settings

Edited by cowballz

Guest Stephen Hyde
What do you think of the adam? Would you recommend it? Sorry for the off topic, been wanting one since it debuted at ces. But with all the mix reviews now. Its hard to decide.

Thanks

Its a great device.. Not sumthing I would carry around like but nice nevertheless and since im one of the official dev for honeycomb on it(you didnt think id paid 600for it I hop) it will be gettin better

Guest Hothan Dao

I use streak as a big phone rather than a tablet. So sad if ril is disabled.

Will be different in disabling ril and turn on airplane mode?

Edited by Hothan Dao

Guest jmhalder

wouldn't getting rid of the RIL layer make battery life better by not having as many (parital?) wakelocks? If the phone screen is on the whole time, I doubt the battery drain from increased CPU usage will be minimal, its the sleep time that would benefit, right? (I'm not crazy am I?)

*edit* and oh yeah, My Streak is my primary phone, just a really big phone!

Edited by jmhalder

Guest bhull521

Steve, your 170 rom with smartass gov enabled gave me an incredible jump in battery life. With Facebook and Twitter Widgets set on manual refresh, phone use normal, checking my email frequently and browsing occasionally I got numbers like 53% remaining after 17 hours.

I need to use my Streak as both phone and tablet.

Brian

Guest BigBlue007

Flightmode also disables WiFi and BT.

For myself and anyone that I know more or less in person that's using a Streak, the absolutely only reason to chose a Streak was because it's the only Tablet that, due to its size, can also be used REASONABLY as a phone. If I would want a pure tablet without phone function, I would have chosen a larger device.

So +1 for "Phone + Tablet".

BTW: In 1.7.0 I had, for the very first time since using Steve's builds, the feeling that he messed up something regarding the phone function. I installed it using only the switches for stock launcher and original dialer, no other changes regarding installed apps compared to former builds, but the phone function often fails in terms of that there is no ringtone on incoming calls, or incoming calls are not signalized at all, or various other malfunctions. I have disabled SetCPU and THINK it's better now. However, I just wish that Steve is not starting to care less about a good-working phone part of the Streak. Honestly, for me the function as a mobile phone is the primary scope, using it as tablet is secondary.

Edited by BigBlue007