Distorted Headphones at any volume

Guest TylerDurdenK

Guest TylerDurdenK

I'm gutted. I just got a great new apparently streaming beautiful lossless FLAC files to my Vega. Only to realise the headphones socket outputs a distorted sound at any volume.

Is this a fault with just my Vega or are they all like this?

The same apparently and headphones sound spot on using my HTC Hero.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest gingercat
I'm gutted. I just got a great new apparently streaming beautiful lossless FLAC files to my Vega. Only to realise the headphones socket outputs a distorted sound at any volume.

Is this a fault with just my Vega or are they all like this?

The same apparently and headphones sound spot on using my HTC Hero.

Headphones seem unuseable on anything other than the very lowest volume setting for me. I believe there are some eq files you can tweak in Android that should be able to sort this, although it does stink of something that was never tested before releasing!

Thanks for your comments.

Does anyone else have this same distortion issue? and hopefully a guide on how to fix it?

Popped the headphones into mine for the first time last night to catch up on some TV, and I also experienced the distortion.

I fixed it by taking the headphones out, turning the vega off and going to bed. :huh:

Guest TylerDurdenK

Hmmm, not really a solution.

The sound from HDMI is fine, so I imagine that bluetooth audion would also be fine, but I'm not interested in buying something new at the moment.

Still looking for a solution.

Guest nicholson101

I also have had the distortion sound at any volume and it really annoys me too. I have also experienced the issue of no increase in volume after 50% which has been discussed on this forum already. Obviously headphone audio wasn't extensively tested before release.... grrrrrr...!

Guest Sir Gash

I have not noticed any distortion at all, not sure if it is because I'm lucky with no hardware issues, or perhaps it is the Audio Parameter files I installed ages ago (honestly can't remember what the sound was like before I did).

Give them a go, it might help with your issue. I discussed them in another post here:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1565448

I noticed this distortion yesterday when playing music through headphones on my POV tegra 2 tablet. I was so upset about it that it went straight back to the shop.. My 5 year old ipod nano china clone had better sound. This is a deal breaker for me. If there is a fix, then i would consider this tablet again cause i love its overall performance.

Guest TylerDurdenK
I have not noticed any distortion at all, not sure if it is because I'm lucky with no hardware issues, or perhaps it is the Audio Parameter files I installed ages ago (honestly can't remember what the sound was like before I did).

Give them a go, it might help with your issue. I discussed them in another post here:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1565448

I think that may well have sorted it.

I too have used the Generation 7, V2, revision 2 files from this XDA THREAD on my Vega, and although the sound is still very different from the sound my Hero produces, it does appear to be distorted any more, even though it is a lot louder, and allows control of the volume across the whole of it's range rather than up to just 50% like I had before.

I may well have a play with a few other options from the XDA threas, to see how they differ.

Thanks.

*EDIT* Unfortunately it appears I was mistaken. I can still hear the distortion just the same (it is much worse on certain music) Specifically I can hear it very clearly on Adels "Turning Tables", which is track 3 of her Album 21. The Piano on this sounds terrible.

Back top the drawing board.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest TylerDurdenK

Another good test for this distortion is Alicia Keys, Empire State Of Mind. At the very beginning of the track both the piano and the vocal are very obviously distorted. This become much more evident if you have an alternative source to listen to the same track on.

Guest TylerDurdenK
I put R8 on my brand new Vega on Thursday. Have tried headphones and hi fi speakers and can't detect any distortion.

Have you listened to those tracks specifically, as on other types of music I haven't heard an issue as clearly. Also, have been able to do an A/B test with another source playing the same tracks?

I feel the need to be this specific as I wonder whether others would notice it without these comparisons.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest monkeyhp
Have you listened to those tracks specifically, as on other types of music I haven't heard an issue as clearly. Also, have been able to do an A/B test with another source playing the same tracks?

I feel the need to be this specific as I wonder whether others would notice it without these comparisons.

Hi all first post go gentle :huh:

I have tried the official Alicia Keys vid on youtube and dont notice it, can you replicate on there?

Noticed the "nothing happens after 50%" but it is quite loud anyway

I too am not sure what I'm listening out for: I too tried listening to the Alicia Keys track on Youtube, through speakers then through headphones, and couldn't really tell the difference. I'm no "golden ears" hi-fi audiophile, mind you...

Anyone care to elaborate on exactly what the "distortion" sounds like?

Guest nicholson101
I too am not sure what I'm listening out for: I too tried listening to the Alicia Keys track on Youtube, through speakers then through headphones, and couldn't really tell the difference. I'm no "golden ears" hi-fi audiophile, mind you...

Anyone care to elaborate on exactly what the "distortion" sounds like?

To me it sounds like a sort of tinny sound & every sound seems to vibrate like it is too loud and distorted.

Guest TylerDurdenK
To me it sounds like a sort of tinny sound & every sound seems to vibrate like it is too loud and distorted.

Yeah, that sounds like what I hear too. It's like the mid and upper frequencies are distorted (like a speaker being driven too hard), the bass not so much.

I am interested to hear other peoples experiences also. I have noticed the distortion on all of my music through two different headphones. Its especially noticable when listening to familiar tracks that I have been listening to on other machines earlier. I got a Point of view mobii tegra (advent vega with other name on it). I am not a audiphile and have got cheap low quality earphones but the distortion is present only on my tablet. Its sad because I really like the machine but this was a deal breaker for me and it went back to the store. Tomorrow I will hear from the store and lets hope that they give me a new tablet without distortion..I would not accept no other except money back.

Edited by flat7

Guest warriorscot

Can't say I have had this problem on either my old vega or my new ones so far have you had the same problem on every media player. I had glitchy audio on the stock and some other players poweramp was the only player to have reliable audio. Is it on all filetypes or just lossless it could just be a bad decoder. Rather than hardware.

On the volume issue the max at 50 is as loud as I need if not too loud. Most EU market audio devices have either software or hardware limiters to the maximum output.

Guest TylerDurdenK
Can't say I have had this problem on either my old vega or my new ones so far have you had the same problem on every media player. I had glitchy audio on the stock and some other players poweramp was the only player to have reliable audio. Is it on all filetypes or just lossless it could just be a bad decoder. Rather than hardware.

On the volume issue the max at 50 is as loud as I need if not too loud. Most EU market audio devices have either software or hardware limiters to the maximum output.

Thanks for getting involved, and for the new idea on what may be causing the issue.

Just tried Adele's "Turning Tables" which I also have in MP3 (High Quality VBR) stored locally on the Vega. I played it in 2Player, Mortplayer and Lithium. All three players have the same issue. :huh:

Thanks for getting involved, and for the new idea on what may be causing the issue.

Just tried Adele's "Turning Tables" which I also have in MP3 (High Quality VBR) stored locally on the Vega. I played it in 2Player, Mortplayer and Lithium. All three players have the same issue. :huh:

Same issue for me too. Have tried a couple of different mp3 files with the stock music player as well as 3rd party media player downloaded from market place.

Guest warriorscot

I'm on my second vega the first one had a damaged back button so I have had the new one for a little over a week now definitely nothing with the old one but I haven't listened to music as much with this new vega.

If the problem persists through firmware updates its less likely to be a software problem as the problem is not universal to everyone. In order to distinguish if its a decoder problem you need to use one that is software decoded not hardware decoded. Most players are just front ends and use the android stock decoder set. Rockplayer has a software decoding option for sure and I am pretty sure poweramp uses software decoders as it has EQ support which the stock lacks.

I grabbed my one and only adele song and stuck it on my vega and there might be a little distortion but to be honest it just sounded badly balanced I adjusted the EQ and it sounded fine. The stock did sound off a little although I wouldn't say its beyond the normal range just not ideal especially for something with so much at the upper end. I tend to listed to rock and my classical tastes are typically on the heavier end with Beethoven and Philip Glass being my usual so not much that would fall prey to the distortion.