vega powering down when hdd connected

Guest Muzzz33

Guest Muzzz33

Hi i am trying to get my WD elements 1tb hdd to work with the vega but i keep getting the same problem of the vega shutting down after connection and it won,t reboot until the drive is disconnected again.i assumed it was drawing more than the available bus power so i tried a usb boost cable to power the hdd .still no luck .??? i had read about hdd problems and formatted to fat32 and altered the cluster size to 32k but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas.

thanks

Guest dbaseii
Not sure if you've read this topic already but amarko was having a similar problem with his WD drive. I suspect the HDD has to be on its own power supply to stand any chance of working :huh:

The drive is drawing too much power for the usb to cope causing the vega to power down. Use a separate power supply for the drive

Guest Muzzz33

Thats what i thought as well. I did try the drive with a boost cable which adds another usb plug on the cable so you can power it from a powered hub,although that didn,t work.the funny thing is that the drive does seem to be getting enough power to run just from the vega as it doesn,t click and spin down like it does on my old laptop.

It was worth a bash to get it going but i can use another 40gig drive i have.

Anyway Thanks for your comments