Building against Acer framework-res.apk internal resources

Guest errmsg

Guest errmsg

Hello all,

Since Acer gave us such a beautiful present as 4.008.08.EMEA.VFIT I decided to give it a go. While having no Acer UI it still had that tiny Phone keyboard and custom contact list (which forces contacts to be opened in itself even when they come from, say, Funambol sources).

One thing that I've always missed in LCR was the absence of correct mapping between stock Acer resource ids and the one that were used when building from android.org or codeaurora sources.

Having spent some time trying to hardcode the values for a few prominent places (Launcher2.apk, Notification icon ("1x") and Contacts.apk - Display options which is just a weird square thing) I could make the correct resources in the code (Launcher2) but found nothing for the resource ids referenced from the resource files.

So I decoded framework-res.apk with apktool and merged Acer's public.xml with AOSP defaults. While this may not be the definite and correct merge it did what I want to - it started mapping applications resources to Acer's ids.

Here's just a dump of frameworks/base/core/res folder containing AndroidManifest.xml and res folder with some changed values/ - frameworks-base-core-res.tar.gz. The default frameworks/base/core/res/res folder in the build tree will need to be removed and replaced by the one in the archive. AndroidManifest.xml should replace the one found in parent res folder too.

In order to see how that worked, here's re-built Launcher2.apk and Contacts.apk - you may want to re-sign the latter if you are using keys other than the test key in aosp tree.

Have fun!