Hermit i900 Kitchen

Guest Hermit Dave

Guest Hermit Dave

Hello All,

I am going to retire from active ROM dev for now. I might make one now and again but i dont forsee it.

I am still going to keep my omnia, just moving to HTC Mozart for everyday use. I would like to thank everyone @modaco as they have made my omnia i900 usable for the last 2 years :(

My build of OSKitchen is a continuaton of Yonn1981's kitchen. I managed to figure out a few things myself like how to add ext that can be uni-installed. Added a few bits and pieces like Titanium, Start Menu and Lockscreen customisation.

The kitchen contains 6.5.3 builds 23699 and 29007.

The ones i am not uploading are 21057, 21908, 21916, 22047, 23152, 23690, 23698, 25018 and 29244.

If you want me to upload anyone of those let me know.

You can always download the latest and greatest by visiting MobileUnderground - unless ofcourse you have access to DFT's repository.

The most used projects are Titanium Lite and Titanium Normal. If you need help let me know

Download OSKitchen

Dowload OSKitchen 1.33.55

You can update the kitchen by overwriting existing file

Happy cooking

Edited by Hermit Dave

Guest Hermit Dave

How to import a new ROM

Automated Import Process - Thank you Adhip for mentioning it - Late in the day for me (having spend donkey time doing it manually :( )

Navigate to your favourite site that has decent ROM dumps. For this tutorial i am using 23152_XIP_HVGA_QVGA_VGA_WWQVGA_WWVGA_0409.7z

from mobile underground website.

rename the file 23152 (get rid of the rest) and extract to directory 23152.

Start OSKitchen and Select the Import item from Top menu.

post-453063-1300290684_thumb.png

Click on Browse Button and Navigate to the ROM Extract

post-453063-1300290717_thumb.png

I had no idea what type of import it was so i selected Evirus Kitchen Dump and clicked Start Importing

post-453063-1300290741_thumb.png

post-453063-1300290790_thumb.png

Once finished, i could see the ROM in the build list and manual check suggests that its a decent import (as good as my do-it-yourself one)

post-453063-1300290797_thumb.png

Manual Import Process (Get your hands dirty)

Navigate to your favourite site that has decent ROM dumps. For this tutorial i am using 28244_MSXIPKernel_SYS_QVGA_WQVGA_HVGA_VGA_WVGA_0409_FROM_DFT.7z

rename the file 28244 (get rid of the rest) and extract to directory 28244.

The contents of the extract look like this

11032011112615.png

Move LangDB, MSXIPKernel and MSXIPKernelLTK to COMMOM directory.

Add directory called ALL.

the 28244 should now have the following directories:

COMMON

ALL

409 - Contains US English files. If you wish to create ROM in any other language, find files relating that language and create directory for that language. Refer to boggsie's post on mobileunderground. Move any files in other directories that contain 0409 into this directory. e.g. Base_Lang_0409, Base_Lang_0409_DPI_96 etc.

COMMOM - contains and resolution independent files relating to the build. directories within this should not contain any reference to LANG / DPI.

ALL - contains resolution specific files (no language files here). All the directories here should have DPI in the directory name etc Base_DPI_96, base_dpi_96_resh_240_resv_320 etc.

Once you are done, move the 28244 to D:\OSkitchen\Sources\Windows Mobile Builds (assuming you extracted OSKitchen in D drive.. change according to your drive)

The Build is now available for use. Start OSKitchen and you can see if. Open your favourite project and use it

11032011114351.png

Until next time. Adios

Edited by Hermit Dave

Guest Hermit Dave

How to add cabs (to EXT) that can be customised - start menu location, default values

Open OSKitchen and find Package Converter in the top menu

post-453063-1300884303_thumb.png

Select Cab Installer file / HTC ROM Hotfix option and use browse button to naviate to the file

Select Device from dropdown (Samsung SGH-i900) in our case

Select Group or type a new entry.

Specify the name of converted package in our case we name it newSIP

(Make sure you pay attention to 'Delete the source after conversion' checkbox. Its set by default and you might want to uncheck it

Once converted, click close and exit the screen.

post-453063-1300884357_thumb.png

We can see newSIP listed under Addons. to add cook it into ROM, make sure you select the first checkbox (not the checkbox under RecMod)

Let see what the contents of newSIP look like. Right click on newSIP ext entry and click Open Package Folder

post-453063-1300884366_thumb.png

post-453063-1300884373_thumb.png

app.dat: dictates where the files are copied on the file system and what links are created etc

post-453063-1300884389_thumb.png

app.reg: specifies any registry entries. This app doesn't have any default ones. They might be created once the program has run once or once you configure it on the phone. Check using your favourite reg editor (PHM / Resco etc etc). Export it available and update the app.reg file.

files directory: contains program files

post-453063-1300884383_thumb.png

Note: Option.xml is a file that is like EXT identifier. It can contain decription that is read by the kitchen.

Hope this help. Happy cooking

Edited by Hermit Dave

Guest Hermit Dave

Add EXT that can be un-installed

In previous section we looked at adding EXT that can be customised.. default values / paths etc etc. Those however cannot be un-installed. You have to delete the physical files if you dont want them. However if you cook your ROM using XDA_UC with OCKs trick option, you can package bare EXT cabs instead of importing them.

The result is that post ROM installation, XDA_UC script installs them and then deletes the cab files. Thus freeing up space and allows apps to be uninstalled. The downside is that you cannot customise it that much. Like with other XDA_UC limitation, if you EXT cab relieves on user interaction, you are stuffed and you need to do a manual import of EXT or let the user install it separately.

Lets start. The CleanRAM v2.5 is an example that can be found under EXT Packages / Addons.

First start by right clicking on your desired area. In this case Addon under EXT as shown below and click Open Package Folder

post-453063-1302082775_thumb.png

Now copy an existing folder and paste it. Rename it to whatever you want to show in OSKitchen. In this case cleanRAMv2.5. Now browse into that folder and remove all files / directories except "PackageInformations.xml" and "files" directory

post-453063-1302082779_thumb.png

PackageInformations.xml contains package description as mentioned previously.

post-453063-1302082782_thumb.png

Under files, delete all content and copy the ext cab file as shown

post-453063-1302082792_thumb.png

All done and dusted for now

Edited by Hermit Dave

Guest adhip

Moving already? Well, can't blame you, i900 is getting old, Wm6.x will fade away (become WEH), WP7 need higher specs & today it's Android era. I hope someone can make Android runs on Omnia just like those russian developer made it on old HTC so we can revive it again :(

I'm thinking to get HTC HD2 myself which can be flashed to 6 different OS......

Guest Hermit Dave
Moving already? Well, can't blame you, i900 is getting old, Wm6.x will fade away (become WEH), WP7 need higher specs & today it's Android era. I hope someone can make Android runs on Omnia just like those russian developer made it on old HTC so we can revive it again :(

I'm thinking to get HTC HD2 myself which can be flashed to 6 different OS......

well i had issues with a new digitizer and at that point i decided to get a new phone. i resolved the digitizer by re-attaching the cable the day after but i had already seen Mozart. I have been a Windows developer since i started and hence i got into Win Mo and it was fun okay it had its limitations but we had the ability to mess around with just about the whole OS. WP7 is different... i am not sure i would compare it Android. I have seen some Andromnia project stuff. Unfortunately gotta take it in your hands.

I am still keeping my Omnia till i had offline SatNav. For me HD2 was just too big... same for HD7, Omnia 7 and even Mozart 7

At point point might develop for WP7 as silverlight is so flexible and its a part of something i use everyday.. the .net framework

Guest adhip
How to import a new ROM

Navigate to your favourite site that has decent ROM dumps. For this tutorial i am using 28244_MSXIPKernel_SYS_QVGA_WQVGA_HVGA_VGA_WVGA_0409_FROM_DFT.7z

rename the file 28244 (get rid of the rest) and extract to directory 28244.

The contents of the extract look like this

11032011112615.png

Move LangDB, MSXIPKernel and MSXIPKernelLTK to COMMOM directory.

Add directory called ALL.

the 28244 should now have the following directories:

COMMON

ALL

409 - Contains US English files. If you wish to create ROM in any other language, find files relating that language and create directory for that language. Refer to boggsie's post on mobileunderground. Move any files in other directories that contain 0409 into this directory. e.g. Base_Lang_0409, Base_Lang_0409_DPI_96 etc.

COMMOM - contains and resolution independent files relating to the build. directories within this should not contain any reference to LANG / DPI.

ALL - contains resolution specific files (no language files here). All the directories here should have DPI in the directory name etc Base_DPI_96, base_dpi_96_resh_240_resv_320 etc.

Once you are done, move the 28244 to D:\OSkitchen\Sources\Windows Mobile Builds (assuming you extracted OSKitchen in D drive.. change according to your drive)

The Build is now available for use. Start OSKitchen and you can see if. Open your favourite project and use it

11032011114351.png

Until next time. Adios

Just add info, we can use Import> Import a Windows Mobile Build . I use this also to check whether the build has all component intact.

Guest Hermit Dave
Just add info, we can use Import> Import a Windows Mobile Build . I use this also to check whether the build has all component intact.

thanks Adhip... i actually never used that feature myself... i reckoned that was a way of importing existing ROM... didn't know it did extra checks for you...

I think i advised someone on Yonn's thread about using it to import OCK's ROM.

let me have a look on Monday.... thanks for the pointer..

Edited by Hermit Dave

Guest Hermit Dave

I have tested the import build process and its smooth. Too late for me but thank you :D I have updated the import tutorial.

Guest ssi42
I have tested the import build process and its smooth. Too late for me but thank you :D I have updated the import tutorial.

Thx for the tutorial, i am waiting for the rest. Finally i am going to make my own rom :( :(

Guest Keivan Moradi

Wonderful. congratulations for your new Phone. I wish I could change my phone too. But I can't because I'm a doctor and I use UpToDate program. They do not have plans to use other platforms other than windows mobile. They even do not use "Windows phone" or iPhone.

I'm also trying to build my own ROM. I'm still collecting kitchens. I'm still afraid of distroying my phone.

Did you find a way to make "reject calls" part work on omnialite phonebook?

Guest Hermit Dave
Thx for the tutorial, i am waiting for the rest. Finally i am going to make my own rom :( :(

i am planning to make a few more (add one every week or so) about

* adding apps as ext (something you can customise)

* adding apps as ext (that cannot be customised but can be uninstalled)

* Customising Titanium

* Customising Start Menu

* Customising Lookscreen

* Customising Taskbar

* Customising Dialers

* Changing start menu paths and icons

anything else you can think of ? Making a ROM is easy :D Keeping everyone satisfied however is a different question. I however didn't have many issues to sort out.

Kept it nice and clean and it usually works without any hassle

Guest Hermit Dave
Wonderful. congratulations for your new Phone. I wish I could change my phone too. But I can't because I'm a doctor and I use UpToDate program. They do not have plans to use other platforms other than windows mobile. They even do not use "Windows phone" or iPhone.

I'm also trying to build my own ROM. I'm still collecting kitchens. I'm still afraid of distroying my phone.

well Dr Moradi.. i see what you mean. I was afraid of destroying my phone and hence never seriously looked into cooking. I even had visual kitchen downloaded... just never tried. This was till Yonn started his kitchen and i actually saw Adhip publishing his ROM... i reckoned it can't be that bad. so made one myself... used it, updated it. modified it etc etc. Keep a working ROM handy that you know has worked... if your ROM does not work... just flash with one that has worked before.

Yes UpToDate is WM only... not windows phone though you never know. Windows Phone is not bad. I like it. Might register as a developer to get more access to the phone :D

what do you mean by reject phone calls as a part of Omnia Lite Phonebook ? The omnia lite phone book is there in the EXT... i am not sure of all its options though

Guest Keivan Moradi
well Dr Moradi.. i see what you mean. I was afraid of destroying my phone and hence never seriously looked into cooking. I even had visual kitchen downloaded... just never tried. This was till Yonn started his kitchen and i actually saw Adhip publishing his ROM... i reckoned it can't be that bad. so made one myself... used it, updated it. modified it etc etc. Keep a working ROM handy that you know has worked... if your ROM does not work... just flash with one that has worked before.

Yes UpToDate is WM only... not windows phone though you never know. Windows Phone is not bad. I like it. Might register as a developer to get more access to the phone :D

what do you mean by reject phone calls as a part of Omnia Lite Phonebook ? The omnia lite phone book is there in the EXT... i am not sure of all its options though

1. Thank you for your for your encouraging tip. I would start cooking this mount.

2. There is a reject tab under omnia lite phonebook. It has two options reject all and accept all. but reject all do not work for me. It seems it depends on some registry settings or dlls or sth else.

Hi Keivan, what about other programs made for WP7 platform?- http://www.unboundmedicine.com/products/windows_phone

Guest adhip

yes...too late :( , I was expecting lots of ROM from you so I could retire first :(....

Btw, latest oskitchen executable has option for importing unknown dump beside Da_G, HTCSys & Ervius.

Guest Hermit Dave
1. Thank you for your for your encouraging tip. I would start cooking this mount.

2. There is a reject tab under omnia lite phonebook. It has two options reject all and accept all. but reject all do not work for me. It seems it depends on some registry settings or dlls or sth else.

Keivan, I dont really remember when i last cook omnia lite phone book. I think it was in V1 to V3 of the ROMs. I will see if i can figure out any dependencies.